Weapon reloading discussions

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Weapon reloading discussions

Post by JackGriffin »

Is it cool if we move to here Ferali?

I understand your points but I don't want to make a mod that's technically good and coders will appreciate it. I want to make something that people will play. The response so far has been lukewarm and much like your own: people say they like it, it looks good and it's fun, but they don't come back to the server again. It's one or two games then I don't see them in the logs again.

Part of the problem is I think the mod badly needs associated stuff like gamestyles and custom maps that are geared towards the strengths of the weapons and the overall theme. I think the overall problem though is that the weapons are pretty, they function like they need to, but the bottom line is that you just get killed too many times while you are stuck reloading. We can argue validity all day but for me, it's just not 'fun' (I don't care how real it portrays things).
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Weapon reloading discussions

Post by papercoffee »

Ferali mentioned the ability to switch weapons during a reload and stop the reload itself till you get again this weapon, then does the reload animation start anew. you get a fair chance to fight back.
...I know the thrill of Counterstrike 1.6 where you shot your main weapon dry and got only your hand gun to protect your self against the approaching enemy because you have no time to reload the big weapon ...you duck and cover and are happy over every hit you could land in ones face ...and you run like hell to avoid the answer...
IF you are now so dumb to shoot all your ammo out of every weapon without reloading and get killed... well then you did deserve it.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

That's certainly an answer but it would require rewriting of every one of the weapons, probably setting each one back 40% or so. I'll be very honest in that (for me) it's either reloading or no reloading. There is zero interest from me in recoding all of them again to accommodate such a profound change and make it work online. It's fairly close to starting over and I'm not interested in doing that much work again.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Personally I didn't return because I had no time to, plus I am hooked up in another game as well lol (and I bet the same with most guys trying the mod out)
But I did enjoy the mod, but it's only fun with actual players, plus people will give it more value once completed rather than just showing some pieces of it.

Anyway, I understand your view and the work it would be to you do to this, so in the end all I can say is: do whatever you feel right to :)
Reload is not a bump, it's actually a good gameplay factor (it has nothing to do with visuals).