Construction

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
Rakiayn
Masterful

Re: Construction

Post by Rakiayn »

so how is this going? have you received my mod?
jaypeezy
Experienced

Post by jaypeezy »

I really need to start browsing UT forums more often because it seems some of the stuff coming out recently is just ridiculous. This is an awesome idea and I can only imagine the applications for such a mod would be endless.

One thing in particular I just thought of: On another online game I play, I see there are construction challenge servers. They feature maps in which teamwork is required to build your way to the end of the map. I can easily see this as possible for UT with a mod like yours. I hope this reaches completion! :rock:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

bump :roll:
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

I think he just dissapeared
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

It was going to be a tough project to do because of the cylinder collision in UT meshes. I'll be honest though, I REALLY wanted this to work because the 2k4 construction servers were a blast back in the day. I think there is a huge untapped market for some sort of social spin to UT servers as MH stays popular in large part to the players doing teamwork and communicating.

I'd pick this back up if someone had an answer to the cylinder collision problem. If that could be solved it's an easy matter to script up a builder gun.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
comoestas
Average

Post by comoestas »

Nope, I'm still here!

I just wish I had enough time to fully commit to this. Then again, I NEVER manage to fully commit to any project. I've lately been playing more UT, and I remembered how much I wanted a mod like this to be available, which is what re-sparked my interest and led me to check this thread.

Right now, this "mod" is currently just a small library that lets you have non-cylindrical collision. Been there, done that, it works! I love working out tough challenges like these, but I'm very weak in making a complete mod that people want. I am still considering to release the source code/library so that others that have the vision could created mods based off it if they want, although I don't know how many developers are still out there looking for something like this.

If I could get a couple people interested in making a mod like this, maybe like a team, I would definitely start working on this ASAP.

Video:
[youtube]KVdZUu03j7Q[/youtube]
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Are you forced to use mover or can you use some sort of BSP hybrid? I ask because in order for this to work it would require a vast number of spawned boxes, rectangles, elipses, etc. In your vid I see a lot of overlapping so I'm assuming it has to be mover. That would have to be sorted out to create a true construction gun. Still it's some great fleshing out of an idea, you ought to be really proud of your progress.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

So, you did go native on this or did you keep successfully on UScript alone?
I remember the problem of not being able to assign brush models to actors in runtime (the game would crash immediately), and that was pretty much the only thing left to iron out to start some real development on those.
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

Post by {dFb}VanQuisher »

I just stared reading this thread and find it very interesting. Amazing work.

I guess in the end ,If all goes as planed ,Make a script similar to the commands we use for orders in CTF,JB,etc with all the summon commands to be used .
Kinda like if I want a bot to guard the flag or free for all .

I wonder if you can summon other players in game .
For exmaple:
Frag nations or clan match with referrers.
If there is a infraction in the rules, like a guy keeps revenge killing you ,summon player name Referee1 instead of spectating in behind view.They could be in game a spectator and summons to view in game and in person .
Just a few ideas for future use .
KeeperUTX
Skilled
Personal rank: Eevee will kill you.

Post by KeeperUTX »

Maybe this could be implemented in my soon-to-be SP mappack??

I might consider it's implementation, as it's a great idea, being able to build a bunker from thin air. I'll ask you via PM 8)
Image This is Eevee, a ferocious creature that never relents in tracking its meal. It will lead you to ruin, and when it does, it will finish you.
The way it bobs its head lefty-righty? It's just cracking it's neck so it can get a better grip on you with its jaws.
scarble
Novice

Post by scarble »

I am confuse.
Are you using BSP to make the collisions?
Cos if not.. that would mean no more collisionising non-cylindrical meshes with many block-all actors :oops:
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

yes i am curious about that too.
are the blocks made in ued first befor you can spawn them?
or can you spawn any block of any size you want?
comoestas
Average

Post by comoestas »

JackGriffin wrote:Are you forced to use mover or can you use some sort of BSP hybrid?.
scarble wrote:Are you using BSP to make the collisions?
Cos if not.. that would mean no more collisionising non-cylindrical meshes with many block-all actors
I am using movers. These movers require a brush pre-made for collision, and so unfortunately one can't take meshes and collisionize them easily. A brush that approximates the mesh will have to be made.
Feralidragon wrote:So, you did go native on this or did you keep successfully on UScript alone?
This is 100% UScript. Assigning brush models to actors works perfectly fine. It only crashed when the brush was visible and occluding errors happened, but hiding the brush and using a mesh instead has worked fine.
KeeperUTX wrote:Maybe this could be implemented in my soon-to-be SP mappack??
That would actually be a fantastic way to test this idea. I am eager to help you implement this if you want.
Rakiayn wrote:are the blocks made in ued first before you can spawn them?
The brushes have to made in ued first, since there isn't a way to create brushes dynamically within UScript. Although, taking a few cubes, triangles, cylinders, etc. you can make very complicated constructions.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Ah dang. I was hoping for some sort of BSP hybrid class. Movers have too limited an appeal, especially online. It won't take a huge number before the constant replication of them lags the server out.
comoestas
Average

Post by comoestas »

Ferali will probably correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe no replication actually happens unless the mover has just been spawned, or is moving, since only changed variables since the last tick are replicated.