Nali Weapons 3 - Release

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Nali Weapons 3 - Release

Post by JackGriffin »

Very well said Crev. That's one of your best posts ever.

Yeah, instead of thinking about the negatives you should enjoy that rare air of complete dominance over other developers with the same toolset and opportunities. What you managed to do was nothing short of incredible. I'd have loved to have been able to do 1/3rd as well as you and I'm sure I'm not alone.

You were never going to alter the trajectory of UT's decline, that's just not possible. What you did do though was just as tough a job: You took guys who have been constantly playing arena shooters for 12 to 15 years and you made their collective jaws *drop* at what you could do! You know how few dev groups can say that, let alone singles? No way dude was this anything short of a complete home run for you and for UT and that's how you should consider it.

As an aside I'm pretty stoked about the vehicle release. I've got some neat SP ideas that I might toy with some.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Thanks for the words, but I think there's a small misunderstanding on my post:
I am not *that* disappointed on the final outcome at online level. While I was developing this mod I was also "eye-tracking" other mods to see how they were being received by the community and by servers, and what I saw was rather obvious: the dominant servers kept being the dominant servers, there's just no room for "new" in UT anymore like there was barely 1 year ago.
And even before I made the actual release (months before actually) I was already considering the hypothesis of leaving the UT modding for good, and everything I was waiting for was how well or not this mod would be received in all ends, so it's not like I suddenly decided this.

The conclusion: it was a greater success than what I expected in several ends, as apparently people liked the visuals, gameplay, performance, stability (only a very small set of bugs was reported, and were mostly the same), independently of the gametype (it plays well in DM, CTF, MH, etc). So in that sense, I won something important: a small grasp of how I should do my next mods, games and etc, and as Creavion rightfully pointed out, it was a good practise to make more serious things in the future.
However, there aren't many people playing online, there are some though which is more than many mods indeed, but not barely as many that could justify further new content such as vehicles, weapons and even other things like entire new things for mappers (like the XZones which are going to come with the vehicles release, but not limited to that).

So between wasting my time in doing something for a game without a future nor interested people and doing a whole new game with a new concept I have in mind which would open a whole new set of possibilities in FPS and RPG gameplay and even for "mapping" and "modding" (the double quotes are intended because the concept of mapping and modding there would be radically different from what you're used to), I decided to go for the latter.

And yeah, the possibility for anyone to work with me on this will be open once I have at least the "skeleton" of the game done, since without the bases at least partialy built it's not something worth to waste time with at all, and since I don't know how much time exactly it will take to reach that stage (this game will test me in the most extreme ways you can imagine, NW3 is trully a walk in the park compared with what I am planning to do, but I have confidence that I can at least pull "something" off and work in it with time).
The fact that I developed NW3 alone, made me gain experience in several fields. I may be far from being an expert on each one of them, but I have that level of at least enough knowledge in each one to be able to at least make a prototype and then possibly assemble a small team later if the thing goes forward.
Also a new game grants me a significative amount of "bonuses" that would otherwise be impossible by modding for UT alone (like absolute control of the code, which means if there's a problem I don't have to get around it nor think about a thousand of other mods, I can just fix it directly, painlessly and in my own way).
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

If you need help for textures or do have questions ... you know where you can find Creavion and me.

I'm not a great speaker (I never was)
I can totally understand you!!
For me, I was aware that UT was dying or already dead.
But I pushed aside ...or, I denied this fact because I loved this game so much.

Right now I wonder about the Future of the FF-mod.
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

Sad, but true. I totally agree with creavion. I had the same feeling so I only did some small things that could be finished quickly as it wasn't really worth the effort anymore (also in the SLV-section). I'm currently also working in UDK now (for school), doing level design ^^ (and maya/texturing). So if you want, I would gladly help a bit :)
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

UDK and school? Not bad, you are lucky, I guess? Anyway: I sent you a PM... (I accidentally sent you this text as PM as well hinting you about a PM within a PM... yo dawg)
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Creavion wrote:UDK and school? Not bad, you are lucky, I guess?
Very lucky indeed. I wish I could still be in school and learning UDK, that way I could literally create a whole new game in just about 1 year, instead I spend about 8~10 hours everyday just doing php, python, javascript, (insert more unix and web languages here).... :omfg:
But this knowledge will be very useful too to build the game web API and interface.

Anyway, thanks for your help offers :mrgreen:
Could you PM me your emails (I mean, not the ones you registered with, but the ones I could potentially contact you outside UT, even if they are the same)?
I won't leave the community, but by the time I get something done you never know... don't expect to hear from me relative this project for a long time though (it's rather ambitious...), but I may indeed contact you guys to be part of it later on.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I have excluded several cold-blooded pawns from the IR scope, but the Zombies seem to use a different name for the ones laying down.
enb2012_11_17_7_40_26.jpg
Jack or Loathsome, can you tell me what I am looking for ?
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Which mod are you using Flay?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I know that's supposed to be an IR scope, but it looks more like night vision. The NW2 version looked more like IR... but then again I mostly know IR from the Predator series.

I've noticed that normally players, monsters, and other assorted living things are bright white. Cybots are gray. Haven't tried it on zombies though..., well, not those zombies. I've got 2 other kinds in MH. Technically 3 if I use the very annoying Quake ones.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
TARZANFROMJUNGLE
Novice

Post by TARZANFROMJUNGLE »

Ferali, I hope your future plans will work out.

If you'd want to blame something or someone for the lack of success or acknowledgement it's the community. (even though you can expect it, when it's an old game and there's not much players around). The UT 99 community nowadays is just reluctant to change. I mean, after all, the fact that somebody's still playing / stuck in this game means that he is more comfortable with the things he knows rather than changing (up to a certain degree).
Anyway, as I told you before, I think you did an amazing job. You gave your reputation an incredible boost and it'll always keep this image :)

I'd be happy to help you, however, I'm such a modding / mapping newbie so I'll just go for some feedback and support from here ;)
I don't have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem.
>@tack!<
Adept
Personal rank: lol?

Post by >@tack!< »

wow epic games posted about nw3 on twitter and facebook :D
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Well damn. Now he's gonna get hired and we will lose him.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Ok.... not sure what to say about that.... this is better than the moddb top100, I can tell that much... <speechless>
Sp0ngeb0b
Adept

Post by Sp0ngeb0b »

Also noticed this via FB! Link on EPIC's OFFICIAL SITE :shock:

Congratz Ferali :tu:

EDIT: Amazing to see by the way.. Can't remember that Epic posted anything at all about UT99 for about... the last 5 years?!
Website, Forum & UTStats

Nexgen Server Controller || My plugins & mods on GitHub
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Wow, what an honor! Congratulations!
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.