NW3 nukes are powerful but they're not all powerful

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

NW3 nukes are powerful but they're not all powerful

Post by EvilGrins »

This post is gonna goto a few forums as this keeps coming up. A lot of people don't realize that NW3 has a bunch of configurable menus for each weapon, but even without that I'm seeing a lot of talk that the excessive lethal power of the weapons, especially the nukes, make this weapons package less than ideal for fair games.

By and large the only real problem I see to fair games is all of the weapons have unlimited range. Despite how slow some of the projetiles are, no matter the length of the map it will get get to you eventually. Still, that's not the focus here.

NW3, like NW2, has 5 levels of nukes. Some other stuff just as powerful but what I'm gonna say here applies to them too. Each level is, obviously of increasing power, and the Big Daddy of the bunch is Nuke #5. Now, truthfully, the simplest way anyone can kill just about everything else on a map is to just fire this thing straight up. It will hit the sky and the shockwave splash effect will kill anything else on the map.

Yeah, that's just a lil' scary...

...but all the nukes, and all the weapons, work on a line of sight trajectory for their damage.

A stretch back for redeemer battles, setup for both Hook & MEAT, I edited a CTF4 HallOfGiants map for Deathmatches. It's got multiple levels, low grav, and I put 8 monsters (4 Warlords & 4 Skaarj) on it that I made virtually unkillable so they could survive multiple redeemer hits. Standard redeemer, the Warlords can take about 20 or so direct hits before they die, Skaarj even more because unlike the Warlords they get flung by the force of the blast and don't try to fight against it.

I was being pursued by 3 Warlord the other day and did this:

I fired at the center platform just as I was falling past it. The blast only occured after I was at a point lower than where the blast occured. Like I said, all the splash effect from the weapons works on a line of sight trajectory. So I wasn't at all damaged by the blast, nor were any of the bots on the map that were lower than it...

...or the ones on the upper platforms that were behind anything. The nukes' damage does not go through solid objects, despite the graphic effect it produces.

Say what you will, it's a pretty effect, isn't it?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
KeeperUTX
Skilled
Personal rank: Eevee will kill you.

Re: NW3 nukes are powerful but they're not all powerful

Post by KeeperUTX »

You can set it up to do damage through walls.

At first I set up both the shockwave and the nuke to do passthrough damage. But the shockwave doing passthrough damage was somewhat overkill, as you can fire it from end of CTF-Face (LITTERALLY the VERY edge of the level) to another and it will STILL get to you. Now I've got just the nucleus set to passthrough mode.

And yeah, Feralidragon made some jaw-dropping FX for this pack of weapons, my UT looks like UT3 when I turn on the ENB Series, and it works great. :)
(Well, except when I run NW3, ENB and Fraps all at once - massive FPS loss :mad2: )
Image This is Eevee, a ferocious creature that never relents in tracking its meal. It will lead you to ruin, and when it does, it will finish you.
The way it bobs its head lefty-righty? It's just cracking it's neck so it can get a better grip on you with its jaws.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

KeeperUTX wrote:You can set it up to do damage through walls.
There's a middle term too: damage through walls to an extent (depending on the walls thickness... well, not exactly, hard to explain but it's along those lines).
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

CTF-Face is a small map, so I would limit it to level 2 or 3 nukes anyway.

Modern sniper maps are perfect for the big bad-boys.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

KeeperUTX wrote:You can set it up to do damage through walls.
Oh sure, undercut my entire post, why don't you?
:loool:
You are officially off my XMAS list!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
KeeperUTX
Skilled
Personal rank: Eevee will kill you.

Post by KeeperUTX »

Well... it's not like I'd get a RAM from you via the net (still need one to 'complete' my comp.). And... From when am I ever on a christmas list???? I BANISH THEE!
*Meteor falls on him* :P

(T'was a joke)
Image This is Eevee, a ferocious creature that never relents in tracking its meal. It will lead you to ruin, and when it does, it will finish you.
The way it bobs its head lefty-righty? It's just cracking it's neck so it can get a better grip on you with its jaws.