NW3 Ultra Gore SSE

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
WKjun
Novice

Re: NW3 Ultra Gore SSE

Post by WKjun »

Hello!

First of all: THANKS for this superb mod! :gj:

Because I want to make an UT99 revival on my local LAN, this is just what I need to polish this classic up. BUT for a reason it is not working correctly (actually at all) in Multiplayer.
The options network relevancy and overwrite server suggest it should at least render each client independently, or even synced server-side. Instead it just works for the host of the game, not joining players. :( They just see regular gore as it is out of the box.

I have tried so many things: clean reinstall (latest official version 4.36 GOTY), original OpenGL renderer as well as latest D3D10 renderer, with or without NW3 full mod, playing around with low and high settings as it may need to be within a range I don't know, set it as mutator or not, and of course switching network relevancy.

Hopefully there is still someone there who has an idea of what may be wrong here? :|

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Wilhelm

PS: :arrow: I have noticed that the included NWUltraGoreSSE.ini is not being used at all, but it creates a new NWConfig.ini and changes that one instead if something is changed within the game (mutator) GUI.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

just to get this clear ...you installed this mod also on the clients?
WKjun
Novice

Post by WKjun »

Hello!

Yes, I did. :) Actually I prepare UT on one machine and copy the whole folder to the others.
To verify it: if I start a practice match or host a LAN session over there, it works on this machine as well (and the others stop working).

My specs by the way:
Win7 x64 (latest update level), AMD FX-9000 & Ryzen, 16GB RAM, Radeon 200 & 7900, Intel Gigabit CT NICs
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Point1) Why this "must be" installed in clients ? I'm joining in servers with this mod and I do not have ANYTHING in client, simple as that.
Point 2) If some stuff must work ON-LINE and it has assets out of stock, that thing should go in "ServerPackages" - this is rule no. 1 for custom things having new classes.
Probably documentation is clear at this point, I used it - but some players did not wait a longer download on my old ISP...
For me this is a reminder to add it back...
WKjun
Novice

Post by WKjun »

If a mutator is not installed on the client, it should automatically be downloaded from the server if it is configured to do so, right? My local LAN server definetly does not distribute any mutators. I've checked it with others like ColorMatch. The map can be loaded, but effects are missing.

This gave me an idea: In the search screen "Find LAN Games" you can review which mutators are active on a host, even if you don't have them installed. So I've checked and there is no NWUltraGoreSSE mutator listed! Others are. That's why it does not trigger on the joining client. But I have added it to the mutators list when selecting the map! :roll:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Then read a tutorial about doing servers. Whatever is a mutator out of stock (BotPack as example) which has new visual/audio effects, it has to be in ServerPackages regarding to what server is that (LAN Dedicated, LAN NonDedicated, Internet Dedicated or Internet Not Dedicated. Client is informed about mutators by downloading "serverpackages" else nothing can be figured by client out of stock. Stock mutators don't need to be listed in ServerPackages not even Botpack - game-types are mapped as Packages automatically by Engine.

Eh, I dropped it into my test server, it works flawless - I have adjusted a bit some settings, it's nice.
WKjun
Novice

Post by WKjun »

Thanks for the test! So a joining client did see the effects too and it was listed as mutator just before joining the match?

Interesting, because for Internet servers I'm with you that you have to provide anything above default for the clients. But why would I need this locally, when every client has the necessary mutators already installed? I never had to do it differently for any mutator I use. But I will look into ServerPackages as you recommend.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Mutators are listed in browser if have INT files in server (BotPack has them all) else they can be there "hidden" but running properly.
New things listed only in browser are not helping if content is unknown by client. Client need to know new meshes, sounds, textures - it's exactly how this mod is running. Mutators in general listed or not listed in browser are running in the same way IF client knows them when it has to.
WKjun
Novice

Post by WKjun »

YOU DID IT!!! :highfive: Thank you so much!

What I needed to do is to add the following line to UnrealTournament.ini:
ServerPackages=NWUltraGoreSSEb
(Don't forget the "b" at the end, because you have to give in the name of the ".u" File and the files are not titled the same as one would expect.)

After that, the client began to download it. I aborted this as it would have taken virtually forever. Then I have copied the files over and it worked instantly!

So I think this is because NW3 Ultra Gore SSE is not a classic mutator, but a true mod. I never had to do this before and I never have used mods, total conversions, etc..
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Welcome to the forum o/

You need to learn a few basic things.
Any custom content that did not come with a game is a "modification". All extra mutators, maps and game types and addons are "mods".
Any new mutators, models, game types will have to be added to the server section to be made available for downloading.
It will always be the name of a physical U file, not the friendly name displayed in-game.
You should have the compressed server versions of all the files (*.uz), or it will take a lot longer to transfer than needed.

Most mods that use the standard UMOD installer will add the lines to you config. If you don't know what you are doing it is better to use UMODs.
Anything installed as a UMOD will list in the UT setup.exe program, where you can easily uninstall it if it causes problems.

Most importantly, you need to learn to read the instructions that come with a mod. :wth:
If you read page 3 (section 4) of the NW3 Ultra Gore documentation, you will find the instructions for adding it to a server.
WKjun
Novice

Post by WKjun »

Oh man... :oops: you wouldn't belief if I told you that reading manuals first and ask only if there is no other way is exactly me!?

I have used the manual to set up its parameters and I've used search words like multiplayer, lan, online, internet, sync, but not server! :what: Not even google gave me a hint.
On the other side it was utterly not on my mind that there are mods that need to be handled differently; as I said, any other mutator I use works just by copying its files.

So, what can I say except for: lessens learned, thank you for your patience and sorry to have afflicted you.

PS: What I meant when I wrote about the ".u" name that needs to be entered in the ini, I wasn't referring to a human readable name, but the unexpected dissimilar file names.

NWConfig.ini (newly generated and actually used config)
NWUltraGoreSSE.ini (included but never used or changed)
NWUltraGoreSSE.int
NWUltraGoreSSEb.u (like in the manual, but I figured that out myself)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

WKjun wrote:PS: What I meant when I wrote about the ".u" name that needs to be entered in the ini, I wasn't referring to a human readable name, but the unexpected dissimilar file names.
I know, it's shocking ...but UT player/admin are wired differently.
When we read .u we instantly know what is meant :mrgreen:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, although there's literally a folder that I have included called Help, with pdf files in it, many players will still not look into it since they don't know nor do they care into looking at the folders themselves to install or make a mod work, especially given that the vast majority of mods do not have the level of documentation I have included in a couple of mine (such as this one).

Having that said, while I took care to avoid to use jargon and other technical terms in the documentation, even those who read it may still be confused if there's some term which is unusual for them in some sense.
In this case it seems that since the word used was "server" rather than "multiplayer", that was enough to miss the section that described how to make the mod work for multiplayer games, and that's very valuable feedback to me, since then it means that the word "server" is still too technical, and "multiplayer" should maybe be used instead, or complemented with so that both admins and regular players could find the right section.

@WKjun: No worries, at least from my side at least. I'm glad you sorted it out, and if you have really read the documentation of the mod, any feedback on it is also welcome.
I won't be updating that documentation specifically, but it will come in handy for any future stuff I might develop.
Thank you. :)
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I gotta ask a question for users: Did anyone figured how to setup GREEN blood at custom monsters ?
I was asking because file "NWUltraGoreSSE.ini" doesn't do too much here:

Code: Select all

GoreBloodTypes[7]=(VictClassName="NsMercenary",VictModel="*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,BloodType="GREEN")
Actually I cannot be sure if these strings are correct here. Later, I went to look at code:

class NWBloodyMess_UGSSE expands Mutator config(NWConfig);
I think the configuration for this mod is taken from file "NWConfig.ini" and not from other one. Said and being done, I have updated INT file for getting a Configuration:

Preferences=(Caption="NWUltraGoreSSE",Parent="Mutators",Class=NWUltraGoreSSEb.NWBloodyMess_UGSSE,Immediate=True)
After changing some value and closing Configuration Window from Preferences, I got this:

GoreTriggerTypes[0]=(VictClassName=ScriptedPawn,VictModel="*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,DmgCateg=DCG_Gibbed,DCGDmgList="",GoreTypeIDs="7",bDestroyOld=False)
GoreTriggerTypes[1]=(VictClassName=Bot,VictModel="*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,DmgCateg=DCG_Headshot,DCGDmgList="",GoreTypeIDs="0,1,2",bDestroyOld=True)
GoreTriggerTypes[2]=(VictClassName=Bot,VictModel="*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,DmgCateg=DCG_Gibbed,DCGDmgList="",GoreTypeIDs="3,4,5",bDestroyOld=False)
GoreTriggerTypes[3]=(VictClassName=Bot,VictModel="Botpack.*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,DmgCateg=DCG_List,DCGDmgList="Electrified,Jolted,Burned,Corroded,SolarBurnt",GoreTypeIDs="3,5,6",bDestroyOld=True)
GoreTriggerTypes[4]=(VictClassName=Bot,VictModel="Unreal*.*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,DmgCateg=DCG_List,DCGDmgList="Electrified,Jolted,Burned,Corroded,SolarBurnt",GoreTypeIDs="3,5,6",bDestroyOld=True)
GoreTriggerTypes[5]=(VictClassName=Bot,VictModel="EpicCustomModels.*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,DmgCateg=DCG_List,DCGDmgList="Electrified,Jolted,Burned,Corroded,SolarBurnt",GoreTypeIDs="3,5,6",bDestroyOld=True)
GoreTriggerTypes[6]=(VictClassName=Bot,VictModel="*.TCowMesh",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,DmgCateg=DCG_List,DCGDmgList="Electrified,Jolted,Burned,Corroded,SolarBurnt",GoreTypeIDs="3,5",bDestroyOld=True)
GoreTriggerTypes[7]=(VictClassName=Fly,VictModel="*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,DmgCateg=DCG_Gibbed,DCGDmgList="",GoreTypeIDs="8",bDestroyOld=False)
GoreTriggerTypes[8]=(VictClassName=Mercenary,VictModel="*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,DmgCateg=DCG_Headshot,DCGDmgList="",GoreTypeIDs="2,9",bDestroyOld=True)
GoreTriggerTypes[9]=(VictClassName=Mercenary,VictModel="*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,DmgCateg=DCG_Gibbed,DCGDmgList="",GoreTypeIDs="4,7",bDestroyOld=False)
GoreTriggerTypes[10]=(VictClassName=Mercenary,VictModel="*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,DmgCateg=DCG_List,DCGDmgList="Electrified,Jolted,Burned,Corroded,SolarBurnt",GoreTypeIDs="6,7",bDestroyOld=True)
GoreTriggerTypes[11]=(VictClassName=Skaarj,VictModel="*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,DmgCateg=DCG_Headshot,DCGDmgList="",GoreTypeIDs="2,9",bDestroyOld=True)
GoreTriggerTypes[12]=(VictClassName=Skaarj,VictModel="*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,DmgCateg=DCG_Gibbed,DCGDmgList="",GoreTypeIDs="4,7",bDestroyOld=False)
GoreTriggerTypes[13]=(VictClassName=Queen,VictModel="*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,DmgCateg=DCG_Gibbed,DCGDmgList="",GoreTypeIDs="10",bDestroyOld=False)
GoreTriggerTypes[14]=(VictClassName=NsMercenary,VictModel="*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,DmgCateg=DCG_Headshot,DCGDmgList="",GoreTypeIDs="2,9",bDestroyOld=True)
GoreTriggerTypes[15]=(VictClassName=NsMercenary,VictModel="*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,DmgCateg=DCG_Gibbed,DCGDmgList="",GoreTypeIDs="4,7",bDestroyOld=False)
GoreTriggerTypes[16]=(VictClassName=NsMercenary,VictModel="*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,DmgCateg=DCG_List,DCGDmgList="Electrified,Jolted,Burned,Corroded,SolarBurnt",GoreTypeIDs="6,7",bDestroyOld=True)
GoreBloodTypes[7]=(VictClassName=NsMercenary,VictModel="*",VictSkin="*",VictSkinID=0,BloodType=Green)
VictClassName did not even include quotes as it was saved by UT itself, and from now on my mercenaries have GREEN blood with new INI, because the INI file provided in archive with mod doesn't do anything...
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

That's weird.
I just tried it myself, not the exact test that you made, I just changed the blood from the bots from RED to GREEN and others in the ini file alone, and tried with and without double quotes, and it always worked fine.

UT is supposed to accept both formats for names afaik, I don't remember why I opted to use everything with double quotes, maybe because it was safer for some reason but I don't really remember, but I remember it working at least.

What UT version are you running?