MapvoteX ~ #source code released#~

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
Wormbo
Adept

Re: MapvoteX ~ Coming Soon

Post by Wormbo »

I have to agree with ProAsm on the kickvote part. Every time I hear about that feature on any kind of voting system, it's in a negative sense. The reason is that either there are not enough voters, even though the disruptive nature of the person-to-be-kicked is quite obvious at times. And if enough voters eventually assembled, the person is just kicked and will rejoin seconds later, essentially making the entire voting effort useless.
Then again, if kick voting was turned into a session ban, low player situations can allow a pack of malicious players to "capture" a server by kickvoting everyone else out. While that could be prevented with a higher vote success margin, it would also raise the bar for legit kickvoting.

A much more promising approach could be to allow trusted players to kick or session-ban others. If a server is frequented enough, the admin can pass out kick privileges to seasoned players (s)he trusts and revoke those rights when necessary. Servers without active or at least easily contactable admins are doomed anyway. In this regard I'd like to point out the usefulness of a chat connection to e.g. an IRC channel. This entire paragraph certainly is not a job for a voting system, but I'd just like to point out other options.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

Interesting!!... I actually agree and yes you are right if the Baddies got together they could hold hostage the server lol (if there were enough of them)

Also re:
Wormbo wrote: A much more promising approach could be to allow trusted players to kick or session-ban others. If a server is frequented enough, the admin can pass out kick privileges to seasoned players (s)he trusts and revoke those rights when necessary. Servers without active or at least easily contactable admins are doomed anyway. In this regard I'd like to point out the usefulness of a chat connection to e.g. an IRC channel. This entire paragraph certainly is not a job for a voting system, but I'd just like to point out other options.
^ That is a great way to help solve the issue.. (in saying this... I once gave every reg player Admin abilities) .. and whilst I was online they would behave.. then after I jumped off .. they would cuss and abuse each other and there rights.

it would seem that we may just have a 'Catch 22'..

The SemiAdmin thing I guess could help.. Perhaps if that were implemented then it would indeed be very useful none-the-less.

Only thing is .. that it should be a hidden login .. or based on Static IP (imo)..

Admin sets up the Semi-Admin's IP's or (*password* for dynamic one's)..

once logged in ; semilogin <pwd> some Admin features would appear like.. kick player.. , X rounds / time.. etc

:)
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

I guess such a "semi admin", as you put it, is much easier to implement in UT2004 and later, as there's a GUID you could limit it to. Also UT2004 already has the concepts of different admin levels and admin privileges. Limiting it to an IP seems good enough for static IPs, but I think the majority of players have dynamic IPs. And again, I don't think this is a feature for a voting mod.
ProAsm
Skilled

Post by ProAsm »

The final version of MapVoteX was quietly released this morning :)

http://www.proasm.com