Ballistic Weapons into UT99

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Ballistic Weapons into UT99

Post by Torax »

Hello to all.

I think mostly of you know Ballistic Weapons mod for UT2k4.

Now some stuff from it is is in UT 99 too :wink:

All credits go to RuneStorm Team.
Last edited by Torax on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
ASLY

Re: Ballistic Weapons into UT99

Post by ASLY »

Downloadlink? Or it's still working progress? More screenshot? Anyway, cool! :tu:
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

Still working)
I exported only my favorite thing currently - this rifle.
It's workable. But i have one and the main enemy - poly count.
Pickup model have something around 14000 polys, 1st person model - around 16000. That caused heavy performance drop. Game still playable, but FPS counter "have bad news". Sure, that depends on power of your PC - the less powerful, the more lag you will have... :(

Also model wont open in UEditor, causing fatal crash and breaks it. I edited it using UEd 2.1 from latest Unreal patch.

If I only find a way how to decrease poly count and don't turn good model into a piece of crap...

The best knowledge i have now - How to rip whole UT2k4 weps and stuff into UT99, as i get familiar with importing skeletal meshes and anims :lol:
Default things there have less polys than stuff from mods.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

You may run into trouble with Runestorm, so perhaps you should look at converting some of the 3rd party addon wepons.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ballistic-wea ... d-mutators
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

Dr.Flay wrote:You may run into trouble with Runestorm, so perhaps you should look at converting some of the 3rd party addon wepons.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ballistic-wea ... d-mutators
If you talking about copyrights, I have permission from Runestorm to use any content from BW - some time ago i'd contact their team and asked for permissions to use models, sounds, textures, even code if I need. Sure with giving credits.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Excellent news.
I thought I would raise the issue, since they got a bit pissy recently over 1 of the community releases.
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

Dr.Flay wrote:Excellent news.
I thought I would raise the issue, since they got a bit pissy recently over 1 of the community releases.
What do you talking about?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Torax wrote:
Dr.Flay wrote:Excellent news.
What do you talking about?
That got me wondering as well.

Anyway, the model itself looks nice, but why is the texture so blurry? (was the texture that blurry in UT2k4 as well? I don't remember...)

On a side note, I use about 6 of the BW sounds, along with a decal that I modified for NW3. Of course, this is covered in the ReadMe file with credits given to them, and I got also permission from them to use those (funny story on that though, I thought first that they were standard UT2k4 assets, only to find later they were not and I had mixed BW with the UT2k4 default stuff by accident..., but then I cleared that one out and they let me keep using the ones I was already using). They're very nice folks there, and great enthusiasts in the matter (BW is my favorite weapon mod of UT2k4 as well btw).
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

Feralidragon wrote:Anyway, the model itself looks nice, but why is the texture so blurry? (was the texture that blurry in UT2k4 as well? I don't remember...)
Originally texture is less blurry.
I extracted it firstly in .tga, then converted to 256 colors .pcx, and decreased it's resolution from 1024x1024 down to 512x512. I'l try to repack it with higher resolution textures.

By the way, i've got another bug. It's really not a bug but annoying for me.
When i stand closely to the wall, 1st person model sink in the wall. I think the problem is that i didn't normally resized model to fit it with UT99 bounding box.

Or there can be other causes for this thing?

=========================================
**EDIT**
I need something to do with amount of polygons. Need something to put down it's amount and not to screw up whole model.

Any ideas?
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Not sure if the post will still be on ModDB, but there is still reference in the news pages
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ballistic-wea ... f-the-page
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Torax wrote: Originally texture is less blurry.
I extracted it firstly in .tga, then converted to 256 colors .pcx, and decreased it's resolution from 1024x1024 down to 512x512. I'l try to repack it with higher resolution textures.
Makes sense, BW wasn't intended to have any less than that resolution at full color. But yeah, still it seems to me that the texture can look better even with those reductions somehow (although I did notice that BW has extremely detailed good weapons next to weapons that look rushed out and do not look nor feel as good, so this one might be one of the few that didn't turn out within BW standards in texturing terms).
Torax wrote: By the way, i've got another bug. It's really not a bug but annoying for me.
When i stand closely to the wall, 1st person model sink in the wall. I think the problem is that i didn't normally resized model to fit it with UT99 bounding box.
It has nothing to do with the bounding box (if there was a problem in that sense, the problem would be to see the weapon itself deform heavily).
It's the rendering drawscale (the weapon is being rendered at a bigger scale that what your player collision radius can cover). However I wouldn't sweat about it if I was you (my own mod has the same issue, but the thing is: by reducing the size to avoid that, other more annoying problems would come, namely with the z-buffering of the renderer which would make the weapon being rendered on the top of the HUD).
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

Can texture looks so blurry in cause i imported model via psk and psa files, not Unreal .3d?
I can't fix this blur, with this model or with other i created and used SAME texture...each one was imported as skeletal mesh and animation.

EDIT
Here are screenies of new model.
Made in Blender, animated in MilkShape 3D, ported into UT as skeletal model.
Cause rifle that i exported from BW is too expensive for engine, i made this one with something about 3500 polys (instead 10000+) and used the BW rifle skin to skin this one. Texture looks like crap :?

P.S. Sorry for cut images
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

You should put some more contrast into the texture ...but all in all looks the weapon really great.
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

papercoffee wrote:You should put some more contrast into the texture ...
You think that can fix problem?
papercoffee wrote:but all in all looks the weapon really great.
Thanks) A kind of Barrett sniper rifle was one of my favorite weapons (as i became a maniac due to my love to sniper firearms). But i didn't find good one for UT and decided to make it myself :roll:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Torax wrote:
papercoffee wrote:You should put some more contrast into the texture ...
You think that can fix problem?
Well, look at the default weapons ...all of them are more colorful and have more contrast because this engine has issues with too much grey in grey skins and textures.

Let me see the texture for this weapon.