Ballistic Weapons Reloaded [suspended]

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Ballistic Weapons Reloaded [current version 0.1 Alfa]

Post by papercoffee »

Torax wrote:Arghh...thought i will finally begin to develop model of next weapon...sometimes i hate Unreal Engine in cause of it's primitivity and necessity in jumping around more than one editor, converting some stuff to some other stuff to let it be converted to another one stuff.... :mad2:
Everyone of use hates UT ...that's why we want to play it to shreds.

:mrgreen:
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Post by Torax »

papercoffee wrote: Everyone of use hates UT ...that's why we want to play it to shreds.

:mrgreen:
:loool:
You made my day till tomorrow, buddy)))
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Torax wrote: sometimes i hate Unreal Engine in cause of it's primitivity and necessity in jumping around more than one editor, converting some stuff to some other stuff to let it be converted to another one stuff.... :mad2:
Welcome to my world. Some people think making weapons is easy.... well, it is until you start to make them fully from scratch (models, skins, sounds, etc) rather than just subclassing the standard ones. The amount of planning you need ahead to make certain kinds of weapons for UT is quite something, to not mention that many times you're advancing alone in unknown territory when trying some more complex weapon concepts, which needs even more planning to ensure that at least in theory the time won't be completely wasted on something.

However, that shouldn't make you quit it, since after all UT is still relatively easy to work with despite the limitations it has, and once you give it a bit of love and dedication, suddenly things get a lot easier since the recipe ends up being the same on the process of making each thing.
Which exactly was the problem that you had to make you do the weapon from scratch?
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

I never thought that making a weapon from scratch is easy.
Feralidragon wrote:Which exactly was the problem that you had to make you do the weapon from scratch?
Dat is a long and something strange story, mate...i'l try to explain shortly..

Few years ago i started to work as designer in sewing workshop. My main duty was developing images in vector graphics, using Corel Draw, and prepare them for making prints on clothes. There i perfectly learned this program from zero.
My next workplaces were also related with 2D design. Next workplace was printing house, where i made a bit more difficult stuff such as making logos, cutaways and so on. There i become a bit more introduced in Photoshop and more expirenced in Corel. On nearly same time i started to try myself in MS3D, it was first program where i in a short period of time learned basics of 3D modelling an animation, and continued to self-educating in this way.

Next level was Blender. In less than a week (probably 2-3 nights) reading docs and tutorials i understood basics of model creation, texturing and exporting into various formats in this program. And i liked it even more than MilkShape, for it's possibilities and power.

After all i asked myself - why the hell i can't create something interesting for my favourite game? Not only working with code?
And mostly i'm not interested in ripping of 3D content and using it for my own ideas, mostly because it not fit with my ideas. And this stage was passed long years ago, when i made mod's for Unreal1, mostly made something new from fairly old...

The whole sense of this "poem" that i wrote above - i like to create. And create myself. For this i will spend hours (days, months, even years, no matter) to learn things that i will need and use to create something. Same as i wrote electronic music nearly 6 years, until reached my dream - recorded a CD. Then i leave music industry, not paying attention on words of solid amount of my friends, who told me that i can become famous music producer. I don't wanted to be famous or earn money - that was the way i expressed my feelings through music, which i was unable to express through words...

In current situation, firstly i wanted to port BW intu UT99, but in cause that is nearly impossible - i decided to create something similar to this mod. And in another side - i need to dig deeper in animation, 2D and 3D design, to get more experience, which can be used to get normal work (i'm unemployed currently), maybe get work in game industry, just live and do things i love - design and art.

Sorry for my bad english if something sounds strange or wrong..
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Torax wrote:I never thought that making a weapon from scratch is easy.
I just want to clarify that what I meant was there's some people who do (I didn't mean you).,
Torax wrote:
Feralidragon wrote:Which exactly was the problem that you had to make you do the weapon from scratch?
Dat is a long and something strange story, mate...i'l try to explain shortly..
[...]
I understand... I had also thought in going into the industry itself once, but now (and for some years already) I really don't want to tbh, I prefer to do what I do when I want to do as I would like to do rather than being told what to do, in which pace and independently of what I think.
I am a programmer in RL btw, and I pretty much love what I do (PHP stuff, mostly), and here everyone's opinion matters (mine matters a lot more relative others given my position here though), and the funny thing is that most of the bases to know how to program at all came from dealing with UT and UScript. I probably wouldn't have such a good job today to my own liking if I didn't invest some time in learning UScript and the basic programming concepts from it.
By the time I had to learn Java, PHP and some other stuff and object oriented programming in general, it was extremely easy to understand everything for me (basically I already knew the OOP stuff by then, I just didn't know all the technical names of stuff like "methods", "members" and whatnot).

I think for the industry itself, UT is extremely outdated and shouldn't be used as a ticket for it, and instead one should be investing that time into learning UDK, Unity or other updated known platform, however as a basic learning base for something else, it's still one of the best places to learn things.
Right now, thanks to UT once again, I am learning this C++ stuff and how the native stuff works, and given a rather wide background in programming of mine, it's now for me also easier to understand it rather than if I started the same thing 2 or 3 years ago (when my programming wasn't as solidified).
By learning it, despite that it's rather confusing and difficult at first, I get to understand more and deeper concepts that, not only will make possible for me to do what I want to do, as by doing so my own programming will improve in other languages, as my algorithms, and as everything else, to not mention that past a certain point, is something I can at least mention in my CV.

So I understand you perfectly, and all I can say is that wasted time on this sort of thing is never actually a waste. I didn't start doing the things I do yesterday, its been years since I started stuff and it was as frustrating for me to learn some of it as it's probably being for you, but sooner rather than later you will start seeing results from that learning curve, not only in what you wanted to do in your primary objective, but it will reflect on other stuff positively as well.
The real secret for every good project is not quitting it, even if things look grim.
Torax
Adept

Re: Ballistic Weapons Reloaded [content updating]

Post by Torax »

Great words.

Most of my knowledge also came from and with Unreal game series. As a rebuttal of common fact that computer games is only a waste of time and can't teach some useful thing.
It depends on a person - senselessly waste time or learn something.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

I say ...talent is the stamina, powered by fun, you need to practice and learn about the matter you like to do.

And now, something silly Image
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

I'm now thinking...the whole my idea - creating of someth similar as Ballistic Weapons for UT99 with some of it's possibilities...
Will it be useful?
I mean such stuff which adds a lack peace of realism into game. After another one crazy Deathmatch at Deck16, i suddenly take thought - UT is mostly a fast game, chaotical, with insane dynamics..things such ass necessity to reload your weapon (with related animations and time you need), churning sight when somebody hits you and whole stuff like this - will they be useful?
Or this will only interfere with gameplay?

If so, i'l better concentrate my work on such things as full recration of already done - remodel most of stuff that UT includes (weapons, ammo, inventory etc.) but after that maybe add some unique stuff.
Core of Nali Weapons can be useful in this work.
And besides i'd NEVER heard about attempts to make restyle of existing stuff in higher resolution, only some ideas about this (there's also one post here, where Ferali told that he thought about that, but project was canceled), some sketches...but actually didn't saw something ready. Correct me please if i'm wrong, i will search for information and progress.

This idea floating in my mind for a long time, and i think it can be good improvement for 10+ years old game. I'm really interested in this.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Torax wrote: Or this will only interfere with gameplay?
My mod Food Fight will bring reloadable weapons to UT ...And I was aware that this will also implement a new game feeling to the whole UT universe.
UT is mostly run and gun ...with a reload feature will it be run and gun and hide for reloading your weapon.
It can, if well done, add some depth into game play.

We had a drawback when the reload animation wasn't interruptible by weapon-switch ...this way was a player a sitting duck for the time the animation did run.
So ...if you still want to implement a reload, make it interruptible by weapon-drop and weapon-switch... then you'll keep a fast game play.
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

papercoffee wrote:We had a drawback when the reload animation wasn't interruptible by weapon-switch ...this way was a player a sitting duck for the time the animation did run.
So ...if you still want to implement a reload, make it interruptible by weapon-drop and weapon-switch... then you'll keep a fast game play.
Hmm...that's an idea i didn't thought about...

But what about a kind of "UT weapons HD"?
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Just a question, how many time to convert one weapon?
Is that possible guys to make a tutorial how to convert weapons from Unreal Engine 2?
I want to convert Postal 2 weapons to UT
Already I asked in the official RWS forum (Runing With Scissor) I can use sounds from Postal 2
I think I will have permission for the weapons if I ask it
That is same for the map, would be good to convert the first day map
Sadly I dont know how to convert...
I know its takes a such time but I dont care about this
This is possible 100%, there is the Blackcheetah's mod the UT2004 Onslaught
There is a map ONS-Torlan which is looks really damn good
Okay the mod is not to perfect... But this map is fantastic
Sorry for OFF
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Well there is a half-finished Postal collection of weapons and animals someone may wish to start with !
They were 1 of Gopostals projects (surprise!), and it would be good to see someone finish it.
I suspect you would need a team-mate to help with the animals and anims, but maybe Alcapowned or Nephew could lend a hand.
I use the cows often in maps with fields or grassland, and elephants in jungles.

I have the files as a complete collection, but no source. Possibly the Dane may be able to dig something out.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Dr.Flay wrote:Well there is a half-finished Postal collection of weapons and animals someone may wish to start with !
They were 1 of Gopostals projects (surprise!), and it would be good to see someone finish it.
I suspect you would need a team-mate to help with the animals and anims, but maybe Alcapowned or Nephew could lend a hand.
I use the cows often in maps with fields or grassland, and elephants in jungles.

I have the files as a complete collection, but no source. Possibly the Dane may be able to dig something out.
Oh wow thats good news!
Sadly, but gopo have a lot to do thing I think...
Like I said would be really damn good if somebody make a tutorial about this
I do it with pleasure if I can learn it how it's works
Anyway Nephew is really inactiv(?) long time ago he don't refresh he's WIP UT2K4 Mod + Models (zZzZz... I can't wait for this mod)
So im sad about this, I can't make it by myself, I need help for this :x
Ehw... *sigh*
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

ASLYE702 wrote: Anyway Nephew is really inactiv(?) long time ago he don't refresh he's WIP UT2K4 Mod + Models (zZzZz... I can't wait for this mod)
So im sad about this, I can't make it by myself, I need help for this :x
Ehw... *sigh*
Whoa calm down. If you keep patience then your gift will be sweet.

Yea Even I get frustrated when certain things I want, but I don't get it. Most irritating thing about Unreal Engine is its so buggy and I sometimes blame EpicGames for this, that why they didn't took a good care for their own Children(Unreal Engine 1).
Especially yea its is nearly impossible to make all BW weapons compatible for UT. Unreal Engine accepts meshes, but doesn't accept too many meshes due to which Unreal Engine can't tolerate and crashes. It is said that "Doing something is good, But doing something too much is not good."

I remember last 3 months ago I made Nyan Cat Deemer mod for UT. I thought to upgrade it more like add a Corona for visuals when calling a ShockWave. So I used so many rainbow color textures,but because of using too many similar color textures, UT just thought to reduce its texture quality and showing me unexpected bad result. So I had cancel that Corona thing.
ASLY

Re: Ballistic Weapons Reloaded [suspended]

Post by ASLY »

I find a little problem, there is no Head Shot message when you do a headshot.
Anyway this Sniper Rifle still my favourite one! :P