[UTRP] "UT 2341" port into Unreal Tournament

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Re: UT Remodelling Project (UT SDK addon in closest future)

Post by Torax »

I supported him with some source, that provides a lot of abilities. And i think displacement mapping can be implemented.
Probably he told about GLSL technology.
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

Buddy, actually i don't know what exactly and how he will do :|

Only have assumptions and guesses about this, but no any technical/coding things...
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Torax wrote:
Buddy, actually i don't know what exactly and how he will do :|

Only have assumptions and guesses about this, but no any technical/coding things...
:lol2: haha ok ...we shouldn't derail your thread too much now ...I'm looking forward to see some cool new screenshots :wink:
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

papercoffee wrote: :lol2: haha ok ...we shouldn't derail your thread too much now ...I'm looking forward to see some cool new screenshots :wink:
Easily :wink:

New model compared to old one.
Very generalized, needs for some details. One-to-one size.
Attachments
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Now you're talking! ...I mean ...now you are posting ...well ...ignore me.
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

papercoffee wrote:Now you're talking! ...I mean ...now you are posting ...well ...ignore me.
:mrgreen:
Nah, you're a good advisor :tu:
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

Project now have it's home. Should update latest news also there and make available downloads.
Details at: http://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-tourna ... oject-utrp
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

As a "remodelling project", your second attempt at a new UT sniper is certainly more faithful to the original one relative your first one. You made a good decision in making the second one, although you should keep the first one around as a sniper weapon mod. :tu:
How many tris does this one have?
Torax wrote:
That sounds cool. I have 2.64 (the latest is 2.69), and I think the tool I tried back then (and some others) is broken from 2.5x and above (if I remember correctly). But, if possible, could you post up those plugins so I can try them out?
I have version 2.69. But i didn't played with animation and exporting plugins yet.

Sure you can have it. Blade shared it for everybody who works with UT. Here's the download link from ModDB:
http://www.moddb.com/members/blade-hunt ... ins-for-ut
Thanks. :mrgreen: I didn't try it yet, but I once I do I will give feedback in whether it works out or not. If not, I will try to downgrade Blender (if I manage to find a trustworthy version).
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

Feralidragon wrote:As a "remodelling project", your second attempt at a new UT sniper is certainly more faithful to the original one relative your first one. You made a good decision in making the second one, although you should keep the first one around as a sniper weapon mod. :tu:
How many tris does this one have?
Thanks buddy.
It have 1578 tris for now. The most "heavy" parts - scope and barrel, i used 24 sided cylinders for more smoothness. And added one detail to mesh - rifle bolt at left side of weapon body. Wanted to add also realistic and animated shell ejector but desided to not overload polygon count, cozz drilling holes in body of weapon is rarely expensive. Tris count grows crazily :?
Would be a bit more after i also add hands.

UV's are ready, 4 mutiskins, textures would be about 512x512. I think it's enough quality for this model and for UT. Gonna to texture it today. If i finish this one will post new pics.

I'm thinking to use seamless textures..how do you think would it be useful? I think it must save detalisation a bit.. Yeah, yeah, i'm not drawing textures, i would overlay baked ambient occlusion maps with needed textures, add details such as scratches on the metal and other small details by hands and dump them as skins in png\pcx

Besides will be great to find photoshop brushes with different vector lines, brushes used for making scratches and so..does anybody used such stuff?

Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Torax wrote:Wanted to add also realistic and animated shell ejector but desided to not overload polygon count, cozz drilling holes in body of weapon is rarely expensive. Tris count grows crazily :?
Well, you can merge tris later on, since those boolean tools sometimes create unnecessary tris afaik. Plus, that's also a matter of checking if you really need the amount of detail that you are placing (if the difference between 24 sides or 16 is not that much in the final in-game model, probably you should stick with 16). Since models are all Gouraud shaded, round edges tend to look good even with less polys.
Torax wrote: Would be a bit more after i also add hands.
Yeah, hands generally make the poly count jump a lot (depending on the amount of detail of course), but since they're only rendered in 1st person and only once per frame (more times if you use overlay effects or more than 1 hand), you shouldn't have problems in making them detailed.
Torax wrote: I'm thinking to use seamless textures..how do you think would it be useful? I think it must save detalisation a bit.. Yeah, yeah, i'm not drawing textures, i would overlay baked ambient occlusion maps with needed textures, add details such as scratches on the metal and other small details by hands and dump them as skins in png\pcx
I always used seamless textures as the base for any skin, and I think that's probably what everyone uses as well. Photoshop supports textures (which it calls as patterns), so by having a texture layer you can then work over it.
I am yet to use Photoshop for effective skinning other than a few things that I made (Nali hands, human hand skins, the Megaton keypad, and a few others), but I already saw a small tutorial on youtube which shows how to properly use it to skin weapons there (the guy was making a "realistic" skin, it looked quite easy), and thus I will be able to skin my stuff properly and better in my next projects as well.
Torax wrote: Besides will be great to find photoshop brushes with different vector lines, brushes used for making scratches and so..does anybody used such stuff?
I think that the standard photoshop brushes are already good enough for that, but there are indeed better ones out there (I don't remember the name of the packs with them, but a quick google search for perhaps "photoshop scratch brushes" should lead you somewhere).
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote:
Torax wrote: Besides will be great to find photoshop brushes with different vector lines, brushes used for making scratches and so..does anybody used such stuff?
I think that the standard photoshop brushes are already good enough for that, but there are indeed better ones out there (I don't remember the name of the packs with them, but a quick google search for perhaps "photoshop scratch brushes" should lead you somewhere).
Look for the Grunch brushes ...I think I have them but must search them first.
Clipboard03.png
This looks like you can see the black texture parts. And there are to many vertices on this connection, or do I get it wrong?
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

Well, you can merge tris later on, since those boolean tools sometimes create unnecessary tris afaik. Plus, that's also a matter of checking if you really need the amount of detail that you are placing (if the difference between 24 sides or 16 is not that much in the final in-game model, probably you should stick with 16). Since models are all Gouraud shaded, round edges tend to look good even with less polys.
Seems you're right. That will allow me to add some small things to moel.
but I already saw a small tutorial on youtube which shows how to properly use it to skin weapons there (the guy was making a "realistic" skin, it looked quite easy)
Do you have a link to this?
This looks like you can see the black texture parts. And there are to many vertices on this connection, or do I get it wrong?
Place where butt connects to body of weapon. In some reasons while baking, Belnder decided that this place is invisible for any lighting calculations :mrgreen:
Hah..or i will draw something over there or rebake occlusion maps after changing parts of model

EDIT
Better to rebake all :?
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

That's the HD UT99 Weapon Pack project?