[UTRP] "UT 2341" port into Unreal Tournament

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Re: UT Remodelling Project (UT SDK addon)

Post by Torax »

@papercoffee
They're just WIPs man) no panic)
They will be edited at least 5 times till we get needed stuff, missed details will be added.

@Ferali
Same answer :mrgreen:
That is a future work for me to resize them, add or remove useless polygons and so.

@[rev]rato.skt
Thanks a lot :D
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

No necrobumping outta here. Just updating the fairly old thread.

Project is under construction.
In some bad reasons i was forced to restart whole works cause progress was thrown back - i was totally disappointed because i lost nearly 100% of model data related to this stuff, hard drive at my work PC was damaged, i spent hours picking out bits of information but not reached any acceptable results :mad2:

And another reason - second modeller i collaborated with, leaved the developments. So, yup...i'm again working alone.
Thats how things are going guys.

Again asking for your help - anyone who will be interested. Most help i will need is about texturing. It is still the most difficult thing for me - to recreate textures which will be nearly similar to old ones but more detailed and updated. From my part - models, UV maps and animation.
Coders are also welcome - to implement some things, which i want to add to this addon.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Torax wrote:No necrobumping outta here. Just updating the fairly old thread.
It's your own project thread.

Ohwww... that's bad news.
Damn, I hope you hold up your spirit. :thuup:

Textures... maybe can I help.
But I need time and a UV-map.
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

Torax wrote:No necrobumping outta here. Just updating the fairly old thread.

Project is under construction.
In some bad reasons i was forced to restart whole works cause progress was thrown back - i was totally disappointed because i lost nearly 100% of model data related to this stuff, hard drive at my work PC was damaged, i spent hours picking out bits of information but not reached any acceptable results :mad2:

And another reason - second modeller i collaborated with, leaved the developments. So, yup...i'm again working alone.
Thats how things are going guys.

Again asking for your help - anyone who will be interested. Most help i will need is about texturing. It is still the most difficult thing for me - to recreate textures which will be nearly similar to old ones but more detailed and updated. From my part - models, UV maps and animation.
Coders are also welcome - to implement some things, which i want to add to this addon.
Oh god why??
Well count me in for the coding part!
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

papercoffee wrote: Textures... maybe can I help.
Thanks for response)
Besides, you already can start. Project needs not only updated weapon skins, but also new textures for effects (such as smoke, shock rifle particles, explosions, impact and bullet hit marks etc) with some higher resolution, to let them look much better than that old square smoke and particles :mrgreen:
If you have ideas and find some time you can spend before i prepair models and UV maps - you are welcome)
Shadow wrote:Well count me in for the coding part!
Thanks dude)
To let you understand what kind of code i will need... First of all i think about such implements, it also will be great to think which of them will be great to add and which are useless, some of them are already done:

- Improved weapon movement - i want to make weapons drawn on the display not like they nailed to the screen. I had already done this - weapon slightly move depending on direction where you move your mouce. Also added some code which forces weapon to rotate a bit when you stand close to the wall. Those possibilities are not released perfectly, code still needs to be checked and fixed.

- Bullet fly by sounds - Dr.Fly reminded me about that) Code for this part is ready and works "nearly" perfect. It also needs for some fresh view from more expirenced programmer.

- Improved HUD system - that is TOTALLY and ABSOLUTELY unknnown question for me, i'd never coded the HUD parts... In descriptions to SDK you told that it will be possible to make new HUD and improve it in various ways. I also want to make it a bit movable and (or?) make it look more volumetric than just sprites on the screen. This idea is under big question because someone likes standart UT HUD, some (and the most) players use minimum of indicators on the screen.

Thats all for now. I dont talk about particles and stuff that SDK provides - this thing stays in the first line of implements))

Maybe someone also have some fresh ideas about what to add, i will listen any offering)
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Improved weapon movement: should be no problem, like the idea much!
Bullet fly by sounds: ok
Improved HUD system: well due to the advanced canvas of the sdk it should be no problem to realize ANY of your ideas, new possibilities include rotatable textures, material/combiner support, 10 new texture blending modes (like brighten, darken, negative etc.), project/deproject function (radar haxxor shit anyone), general new draw functions (DrawTileStretched, DrawTileBound) etc. OH and not to forget the math shit inside sdkCore.dll which would allow interpolated scaling/moving of textures

Oh and concerning material/shader support ON weapons.. I'm working on it. Since the mesh draw functions epic provided are a mess, it's more torture than work. Major problem was to bypass standard mesh rendering without messing critical render functions like DrawFrame and OccludeFrame (Render.dll)
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Torax wrote:
papercoffee wrote: Textures... maybe can I help.
Thanks for response)
Besides, you already can start. Project needs not only updated weapon skins, but also new textures for effects (such as smoke, shock rifle particles, explosions, impact and bullet hit marks etc) with some higher resolution, to let them look much better than that old square smoke and particles :mrgreen:
If you have ideas and find some time you can spend before i prepair models and UV maps - you are welcome)
Ok... I can see if I get time ...it's a nice practice.
I'll provide the textures as ... PNG? TGA? or something different?
'Zac
Experienced
Personal rank: Who knows.

Post by 'Zac »

Are you using...BLENDER?
Free and good modeling tool, but not as good as the industrial big boy modeling tool - 3Ds Max. ( free 3 year trial for students, anyone can be a student lol )
I saw this mod on moddb, sadly it's not updated to where it is now. The sniperrifle actually looks amazing! I really love it's style.
I have a few questions about this mod/addon...
Will you remodel all of the guns? Or is there a team along with you?
Will there be be different effects? Like muzzle flashs and projectiles?
Do you play on this being WITH the sdk or being a seperate thing for the UT and SDK?
( sorry if these were answered in this thread, too lazy to look through 8 pages of text )
Last edited by 'Zac on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prophunt for UT99!!!
Github
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I am thinking it may be good (especially at alpha and beta stage) to have a configurable tracer-bullets option.
On/off and a ratio value.
That way the various guns with bullets can be tweaked for different maps.
seeing the tracer fire from a mini-gun coming towards you often helps, and in team games people can tell where you are aiming and help.
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

Shadow wrote:Improved weapon movement: should be no problem, like the idea much!
Bullet fly by sounds: ok
Improved HUD system: well due to the advanced canvas of the sdk it should be no problem to realize ANY of your ideas, new possibilities include rotatable textures, material/combiner support, 10 new texture blending modes (like brighten, darken, negative etc.), project/deproject function (radar haxxor shit anyone), general new draw functions (DrawTileStretched, DrawTileBound) etc. OH and not to forget the math shit inside sdkCore.dll which would allow interpolated scaling/moving of textures

Oh and concerning material/shader support ON weapons.. I'm working on it. Since the mesh draw functions epic provided are a mess, it's more torture than work. Major problem was to bypass standard mesh rendering without messing critical render functions like DrawFrame and OccludeFrame (Render.dll)
I hope all of that will be greatly improved with comments and notes to help to get in into all functions. I know that writing dozens of docs is completely annoying)) but will be helpful, as i also want to get into SDK features myself.
Can you please answer me one question. Will be in SDK available one thing...something that looks like displacement shader? I mean that cool "wavy" effect that creates very hot air. "Heat distortion" or something...attached image will show what am i about. I'm not sure it will be possible - just asking.
papercoffee wrote:Ok... I can see if I get time ...it's a nice practice.
I'll provide the textures as ... PNG? TGA? or something different?
Uncompressed formats...maybe.. If i think correctly - it is TGA. Cant remember, i'm sure your knowledge in this way is much more better than my)
But will be great also to see them firstly as fresh, unmixed PSD files, if it is not will be problem for you)) i will be interested to see how the stuff was made as it is also good school for me to understand technology for my future works if they will exist.
And probably to have ability to play with those files - maybe change something or whatever.
'Zac wrote:Are you using...BLENDER?
Free and good modeling tool, but not as good as the industrial big boy modeling tool - 3Ds Max.
Yep, i use Blender
And hate 3D Max :satan:
Especially for it's insane appetites to the computer hardware - when Blender without any questions holds more than 500 000 polys (in sculpting mode for example), 3D max starts lagging as hell on a few tens of thousends polys and hysterically screaming "NOT ENOUGH MEMORY! NOT ENOUGH MEMORY! SHUTTING DOWN!!"

And also i much more like interface and modelling tools and possibilities of Blender. I know how to model in both programs but this one provides me more advanced control over things i'm doing.
'Zac wrote:Will you remodel all of the guns?
Yes. All guns, ammo packs, equipment, effects which use models and so, trying to save style and spirit of original models.
'Zac wrote:Or is there a team along with you?
No. I had co-modeller but he had a bit other thinkings about how the mod must look like and had never listen to my instructions about detalization, concepts and mf**ing AMOUNTS OF POLYGONS PER MODEL :evil:....which may be not more than 2500-4000 per model. Hope Shadow will find a way to increase poly limits, until that - there are very rigid framework
So he leaved.
'Zac wrote:Do you play on this being WITH the sdk or being a seperate thing for the UT and SDK?
Mod will be released in two editions if will be finished before the some version of SDK that provides key features - first coded for standart UT (no SDK support), second with particles and other things (full SDK usage).
There also maybe will be third edition - for porting into Unreal 227. Though this is under BIG question...
Dr.Flay wrote:I am thinking it may be good (especially at alpha and beta stage) to have a configurable tracer-bullets option.
On/off and a ratio value.
That way the various guns with bullets can be tweaked for different maps.
seeing the tracer fire from a mini-gun coming towards you often helps, and in team games people can tell where you are aiming and help.
Don't worry comrade) i think first time some work will be done, there will be a lot of configurable stuff.

And here's a picture of effect i told about, Shadow. What can you say?
Attachments
0120_canon_600mm_f4_l_is_usm_canon_5d_mk_ii_michael-grobe-bilder_mg_0218.jpg
'Zac
Experienced
Personal rank: Who knows.

Post by 'Zac »

Torax wrote:
Shadow wrote: And hate 3D Max :satan:
Especially for it's insane appetites to the computer hardware - when Blender without any questions holds more than 500 000 polys (in sculpting mode for example), 3D max starts lagging as hell on a few tens of thousends polys and hysterically screaming "NOT ENOUGH MEMORY! NOT ENOUGH MEMORY! SHUTTING DOWN!!"
Autodesk mudbox( same free 3 year trial )...instead of looking at hundreds of polys, you see a nice smooth and fast program loading millions of polys...with full collaboration with 3ds max with easy file exporting and importing.
Anyway...
Thanks for your replies, can't wait for this to come out! Nice work with everything, especially the sniperrifle!
Prophunt for UT99!!!
Github
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

'Zac wrote: Autodesk mudbox( same free 3 year trial )...instead of looking at hundreds of polys, you see a nice smooth and fast program loading millions of polys...with full collaboration with 3ds max with easy file exporting and importing.
Anyway...
Thanks for your replies, can't wait for this to come out! Nice work with everything, especially the sniperrifle!
For now i dont working with such amounts of polys or extremely realistical render. Some experts even talking that a lot of stuff for editing that used in 3Ds Max was token from Blender's open source)
Programs are both powerful, but with some specific abilities which needed in specific situations. In this situation i using Blender.
Whatever, its mostly the matter of taste)
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Torax wrote:
'Zac wrote: Autodesk mudbox( same free 3 year trial )...instead of looking at hundreds of polys, you see a nice smooth and fast program loading millions of polys...with full collaboration with 3ds max with easy file exporting and importing.
Anyway...
For now i dont working with such amounts of polys or extremely realistical render. Some experts even talking that a lot of stuff for editing that used in 3Ds Max was token from Blender's open source)
Programs are both powerful, but with some specific abilities which needed in specific situations. In this situation i using Blender.
I want to learn Z-Brush :P
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

papercoffee wrote:
Torax wrote:
Anyway...
I want to learn Z-Brush :P
I tried it some time ago. Rarely interesting program.
And it's not difficult to learn basics - controls are pretty easy, i spent few hours to understand it.
Here are two my tryings to make something interesting))) the head of the man was first work, the buddy with the bird head (reminds me about one of gods from Egyptian mythology) - second one.
I know that bird-head-guy looks like somebody broke his neck and rotated head around 180 degrees :loool:
But i'm not good in human anathomy cozz never was interested in it and really bad in the art of drawing
Attachments
Whzg6Ak-6WY.jpg
4P5LCsobTg4.jpg
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

That heat/distortion effect is possible, yes. But first I have to implement general DX/OpenGL shader support.