Q. is there a hud map mod for UT?

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Q. is there a hud map mod for UT?

Post by Wises »

Just curious but does anyone know of a Hud Map Mod for UT.
Seems that these "unfamilar" maps take some time to navigate (get used too)
Would be great if there were some mod which could over-lay a map - assigned to a key.
Which would show the player where they were in a map.

Be even cooler if the map had icons for other items as well but that may disturb the game-table somewhat
So optional on/off toggle boxes for various items ofc.

Flags would be on by dfault.
Anyway cheers.

Edit: can see that there is probably no easy way to auto-detect map boundries therefore think that maybe some kind of
HUD map Editor could be used or something.

Forseeable issues would be teleporters among other things.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: Q. is there a hud map mod for UT?

Post by Dr.Flay »

Like the old DooM map (once you typed the right cheat ;) )
Not sure how close to that we have, but I have a gallery map where there are maps in the map.
It shows "you are here" and you can see the other players in the other areas.
Possibly it just works by zone triggers, but it is very cool and makes me giggle every time.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

I have had long sessions of brainstorming with @ChanClan about such a feature for Siege.
The plans were about making said minimaps dynamic (and multilevel) by using various never-seen before techniques.

- (First time) Navigation points would be used as focus points to make traces and check the room shapes and sizes, those space results would then be stored in various space matrices.
- (First time) Various PCX files would be generated out of those space matrices (serverside native package), imported as raw data (Music importer) into a package, 8 bit PCX files can be a lot smaller than actual textures and will make sense to transfer without redirecting them given how minimaps can be generated differently.
- (Client) Export the raw data and re-import as textures as game starts, draw the minimap textures nicely.
- Have the server update positions like any other radar mod.

NPLoader can be of help when dealing with the limitations of file transferring or data handling...
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

This has already been done. Use the simplistic formula created for the jailbreak gametype. Making the overlaid map dynamic (meaning it turns and moves with you) is not necessary. Mappers can create a very simple outline of the map and you can insert the player markers the same way they get rendered into the maps in JB. Even using the bottom left 1/6th of the HUD would let you add a pretty expansive transparency outline and if you made players a single moving few pixels you could nail down location really closely. Once you get this far it would be easy to make relics that let you see enemy players for a time, status of the enemy base, really anything that's replicated to the server that doesn't really have a place in the player's HUD already.

OK, too much from me. I'll shut up now.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
_naruto_999
Average

Post by _naruto_999 »

That could be alleviated if maps were made with player friendly design. Many maps are very open and have many routes, once you find something in one area it remains open with no hints that players have already been there.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

If this is something you want to pursue I created a mod called "Tagz" a few years ago after watching my son play TF2. Here's what it looked like:
[youtube]Gal-dYpi0-M[/youtube]
I gave up on it when I couldn't control orientation BUT there are some interesting things with it. Tagz are decals but they properly replicate across the server, meaning everyone sees them. They also are persistent and don't erase (until you respray it again somewhere else). In testing I was able to spray hundreds of them without lagging players so it would be a simple matter to change this a bit and create something like you might use. Each player could have a different "marking" texture (smallish, nothing like these Tagz in size) and they can mark areas as they pass through. If the player is killed then all his marks destroy. Something like that would work well and in fact I might make this for my coop server. I have a couple of maze maps this would help on. I've been using rocket decals (they don't go away on my server) but a cleaner solution might be nice.

BTW the tagz are called via a mutate command (keybind works best) and are not tied to any weapon or inventory. I have the trans equipped in the video but it's not needed.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

JackGriffin wrote:[youtube]Gal-dYpi0-M[/youtube]
Can you share with us this mod Jack? :)
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Found this...
http://rusut.ru/load/mutatory/drugie/co ... 3-1-0-4076
...before I realized the mapping part.

This is what you mean...
http://www.moddb.com/mods/battlerpg/ima ... tlerpg-hud
...but it's a different version of UT.

I'll keep looking...but I have a thought.

ut2004 has a gametype called Onslaught which has a map on the HUD in the upper right of objectives. While I haven't tried it, someone made a ut99 version of Onslaught. Maybe it has that mapper's HUD?

Worth looking into.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

ASLYE702 wrote: Can you share with us this mod Jack? :)
OFC brother. Here you go:
Tagz.7z
(491.46 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Sadly I can't find the real source code. Chalk it up to "lost to stupidity". Fear not though, I made a version for Meat's server and I have that one. I'm not sure if he still uses it but this is OK to share. This version has an ini file that lets you set passwords for each player so they can use their own spray. I had stripped the code for the U file (just a generic strip on a couple of classes to obfuscate the password stuff) but I decompiled it and included the source in the zip.

You'll see that his regular players were assigned textures they chose and those sprays were given an ini password. This ini file has generic passwords but I let the players change them to whatever they wanted. Since only the admin and the player knew his password no one else could use his spray. Sprays are persistent until the player dies, leaves the server, or resprays it somewhere else. You can lift any of these requirements but it only leads to trouble. Players immediately start spraying everything without exception.

Since tagz are decals they will not adhere to movers and complex bsp shapes will mess them up so don't spray across creases or seams. It won't hurt anything, it just won't look right.

The code works like this: when you call a spray via the mutate command it spawns an invisible, soundless rocket that goes forward from the player in the direction you are looking (this is the class "tag1" with the rest only in the source so you can assign different explosion decals- the "tagz"). If that rocket reaches a surface within a predetermined distance then it spawns a decal like any normal rocket's blast mark would while it silently deletes itself. This decal however is my Tagz class and you can see the results in the vid. The reason I did this is because it properly replicates across the server since spawned rockets and their scorch marks already are in the native code to replicate. (Thank you Ferali for your intuition on overcoming this when I was stuck).

The rest I'm sure you can figure out. As always you are completely welcome to any and all of this to do what you want (no credits needed). I made everything from the textures to the sounds and the code. It would be an easy matter to configure it to call the images from an ini file and that would allow you to choose any textures from any package that met the size criteria and change them whenever you wanted. It works with alpha channel stuff and would work with animated gif too, though I never built any.

Have fun with it and if you ever figure out how to control rotational value PLEASE let me know. I threw a lot of hours at that and could never figure out a way to make the decals have a "top" and "bottom". The native code randomly rotates them and I couldn't stop it.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Attachments
mlocator2_b8.zip
Movement Locator II
(92.82 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
UTCompass0.94.zip
UTCompass
(58.82 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

The UTCompass is somewhat looking similar to NW3 Nuclear Launcher when you fly the Nuclear Warhead.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Yeah, i found that Movement Locator II on a Russian UT site i put in the Obscure thread a couple days ago. It's pretty cool, though kinda noisy.

I was playing and kept hearing these random noises, mixed in with the music on my map edits, that took me longer than it should've to figure out that's what was causing it.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758