Dot's particle emitter

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Dot's particle emitter

Post by Torax »

Heya all.

I've got a question about Dot's particle emitter, which he recompiled for use in UT straight from Unreal 227. I accidentally found info about this thing, and now think about it's usage in port that i'm prepairing now (i mean "UT 2341" port from UT2k4), and maybe in future stuff i plan to make for UT.

Does anybody tried it out? How it deals with performance? How it works online? Does anybody have some info guys?

This thing gonna save a lot of work and nerves in cause that using emitters for a lot of effects is more necessarry, than overload engine with meshes and additional actors for any spark, explosion or piece of dust.

Heres a thread at UnealSP, where i found it.
http://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 0&start=75

Sorry if somewhere here was a similar post or something. I'd found few topics but i don't sure that this is a thing i'm talking about.
Greetz.
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: Dot's particle emitter

Post by Hellkeeper »

The 227 C++ emitter system is quite powerful and very easy to use. It works much better than UScript-based ones. I used it in several maps and it doesn't seem to have any glaring flaw.

The engine is old though, you can still bring it down to its knees with a high number of particles. Don't do anyting stupid and you're set.
You must construct additional pylons.
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

But for some reasons i can't force it to work.

I created a class of trail emitter to make trail for weapon. I programmed it fully as it was programmed in HD Weapons mod for Unreal 227, including emitter properties and code. It must be spawned in same way, scripts compiled normally...

But it wont spawn.
I will check out scripts and properties again anyway, maybe i did wrong something.
But maybe i must set something in Unreal Tournament ini, or change my render device...i have two files Emitter.u and Emitter.dll, i put them into my UT/System folder and started to work.
Can you advice something?
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

Nevermind. I found that Dot's removed exatly that type of emitter i tried to use - that's why it wont work)

But i have another question.
Will the emitters work online if client have no needed files such as Emitter.DLL?
As far as i know, *.dll files are not able to be downloaded while connecting to server...or i'm wrong?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

If the equivalent particle emitters are available in the SDK, then it could be possible to use those.
Torax
Adept

Post by Torax »

I know.

But i can't and actually don't want to speedup Shadow with SDK.
And i need at least new release of SDK to upgrade visuals, because i had something strange troubles with current one.

In other way, what i can do - walk the way that Feralidragon walked. Or even use some core stuff from Nali Weapons...gush i don't know what will be better
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

I once tried with these UT version of Emitters, but my Editor crashed when I tried to spawn simple emitter.
UT SDK also has emitters and I can see them in Editor, but not in game, even with custom renderer provided.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:@Torax I've gone ahead and made this for you, only I haven't tested it. Let me know how it goes (sent you a PM). Either of us needs to update it when a .so file emerges. At that point it can be considered releasable

@HellKeeper I'd like some map names of any UT maps that use it. I guess it's used extensively in Unreal 227 maps since it has it's own version of this dll. Any of those will suffice if no Unreal maps

@TheCowboy @Higor Which one of you will compile it on linux for us if the source is obtained from dots?