Gustavo6046 Unnoficial Bonus Pack

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Gustavo6046 Unnoficial Bonus Pack

Post by sektor2111 »

JackGriffin wrote:Is this KAAL?
Kaal seems superior with 2 Levels at old lasts appearances (2 years ago ? Probably now is more wise).
=====
Mr. G... if you think that what you do is supposed to be claimed a BP (even unofficial - ooopps, it's Unnoficial) you might be wrong - you really don't understand what this community is. I was looking over stuff (not firing maps cuz I could see first one what is that). You have there some video drivers. Let me tell you my 2 cents: I won't screw my drivers (dated newer) with yours from this "indispensable" BP based on your sudden appearance.
Else you spoke about "your modified UT?" . I won't ask if is v3/v4 or such but a couple of questions in one hit: Does it include somehow there another Engine bug-fixed ? I could see something "compiling" bla bla and that's why I'm asking in hoping that you have something useful there.

For those game-types mentioned by you I did not understand the point of thread. You hunt coders to do them ? You do want to make them being part of your projects ?

Mapping notes: I'm not mapper and I'm not aiming mapping (I can see your avatar) but for sure my MA map and DM map (2 pieces I did) works cute and I've been fixing certain "maps". Before using term "Good mapper" you should think multiple times., as long as I see here some people and I heard about others which were making real good levels (even with tiny flaws - or annoying flaws). I can say that you are far from a good mapper after all...
Last edited by sektor2111 on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Gustavo6046: Look, while not trying to discourage you, this 'pack' is just not ready. I couldn't review it as I honestly didn't have a lot to say about things that are so clearly unfinished.

Keep working on maps and your skills will develop but do remember that not everything you do while learning needs to be (or should be) shared publicly.

Echoes of Kaal in that cavern. :?
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

JackGriffin wrote:Is this KAAL?
Kraal? I killed them all in a Redeemption, sorry. :D

And I am starting to give up mapping, but I made some script that enhanced trigger systems and added advanced fraction/percentage math. Not forgetting GusActor for many functions that can't happen in Actor due to it's delicateness.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Gustavo6046 wrote: And I am starting to give up mapping,
Don't give up ...read tutorials and learn from mapper gurus ...we have some on our forum here ;)
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Very helpful tutorials here: http://www.birrabrothers.com/drac/index.php?dsps=3

All I can say is try working on a map a longer than a few days/a week. Start with an arena or a DM-Stalwart-a-like or something like that and try to find things to add to it... some trims? Lamps for your lighting? A spot to view your skybox from? Whatever works and see
You could also check what else people have created to see how you could improve your maps. Have a look at maps like DM-Honoured by Hellkeeper (it has some great trims and it is a really fun map).

Good luck mapping ;)
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I think perhaps it may be wise to change your personal rank to "Learning Mapper". People will be a little easier on you :wink:

Now I do believe that the issue with the use of "Bonus Pack" is that it is only ever used by Epic.
The BPs do contain community products, but always selected by Epic.
Thankfully your documentation clears any confusion, but you will have to rename the distro, as BP5 will confuse as there has already been an unofficial BP5, which is why you don't do it.
Unless everyone knows about your BP5 and the old one, there is no reason why someone else will not also make another BP5.
Use your own naming. This is the Gustavo BP1.

Now on to the content.
I am actually a member of Chaotic Dreams, so on the one hand I am happy to see you promoting our fine mod, and making sure people have the fixed version, but on the other hand...
Well your other hand, I may have to chop off with the Chaos Bastard-Sword.
Where is our documentation, and what is this CUT2 ? ( I must try it)
You will find that we are happy for people to modify and extend our work, but we would rather you came and asked.
If it is good enough it gets official promotion, if it is no where near anything we would add to Chaos, then we will wish you the best of luck.

Then we have the "updated" renders (also missing any documentation)
Sorry but those are a downgrade for many, since the project were handed over to OldUnreal, where you will find the current releases of both the new video, and new audio renderers.
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=2
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... oard=Sound

Credit, and documentation is sorely missing from this pack.
You will also need to create and supply a new defaults file.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Don't be put off so easily. Mapping can be fun and rewarding! You can always ask here if you are stuck at a problem in seperate threads (if the problem hasn't existed before). Just walk step by step and you'll see after a while how much you have improved. It will take some time to have the knowledge. The best practise is by looking at other's maps and investigating every single brush: How they are built and how they are tied together to make the place as good looking as it is. Pathing, rebuilding, lighting can be a pain, but the UED goblin will spare with you sometimes. Good luck! :tu:
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I understand. Have I done any useful script? And for the map reviews -- where they are?
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Gustavo6046 wrote: And for the map reviews -- where they are?
Carbon wrote:I couldn't review it as I honestly didn't have a lot to say about things that are so clearly unfinished.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Okay, now I remember. My GusPack has any good script?

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

editor Dave wrote:Pathing, rebuilding, lighting can be a pain, but the UED goblin will spare with you sometimes. Good luck! :tu:
Pathing is easy as pie, rebuiding might be a problem, lightning is not Rocket Science, ask real mappers.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

sektor2111 wrote:Pathing is easy as pie, rebuiding might be a problem, lightning is not Rocket Science, ask real mappers.
Like me! It is cake!

Weapon of Destruction
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

sektor2111 wrote:
editor Dave wrote:Pathing, rebuilding, lighting can be a pain, but the UED goblin will spare with you sometimes. Good luck! :tu:
Pathing is easy as pie, rebuiding might be a problem, lightning is not Rocket Science, ask real mappers.
With pathing I also included Scripted Events (for SP, I'm mainly a SP mapper - I know, Gustavo does MP :P), that can really be annoying when it doesn't work like you thought it should. And Lighting can be a pain if you have too many polygons (I speak of experience lol) or if you want to make it really good (with like 1000+ lights in a map).
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

editor Dave wrote:... (with like 1000+ lights in a map).
I removed such "Levels" a long time ago... :lol2:
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

But it is nothing worse than FREAKIN BSP ERRORS IN MY MAPS!!

Weapon of Destruction