Gustavo6046 Unnoficial Bonus Pack

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Gustavo6046 Unnoficial Bonus Pack

Post by sektor2111 »

https://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=34 ... t=0#p75589
This is where I was almost to ask the same question.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

And so the trainwreck continues.
You must construct additional pylons.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Oh well. The new documentation clearly states DM-Scar is not a map to be played. As for DM-SpaceParking I didn't update it because I did just remember of it being average. The next v1.1 will release better maps instead of piles of crap, I promise!

EDIT: Oh wait it said that the map is CTF-EnforcedCross is the prohibited map, not DM-Scar. Anyway don't play Scar. It's a piece of shit and no wonder it's only present for histerical reasons.

EDIT 2: Who is Kaal? Just asking... should be some really bad person
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

JackGriffin wrote:@ SC]-[WARTZ: While I agree with you about this pack, I think you are doing a disservice to the community by not posting your work. I've seen some of your stuff and it's damn good so don't sell yourself short. You have good ideas honed from years and years of competitive play. You know balance probably better than anyone.
I'll be posting some of my work that could use some testing and thoughts for future developments. But one of these mods(UTES which clearly was inspire by "BTPlusPlus" and your "MH2ScoreBoard" Kelly) has been actually rewritten by Higor and not much of it besides HUD stuff is my design. Probably have to get Higor to reserve a post under mine when I release the first public beta.
JackGriffin wrote: Did we ever decide if Gus was KAAL? I'm just curious.
Hard for me to tell really.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Ok ...only one question Gustavo. And please give a very good and reasonable explanation!

Why do you upload a "Bonus pack" with maps included, which are NOT meant to be played?
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

papercoffee wrote:Ok ...only one question Gustavo. And please give a very good and reasonable explanation!

Why do you upload a "Bonus pack" with maps included, which are NOT meant to be played?

Well DM-Scar was once meant to be a cool map, a original map that popped brains about warp zones. But in the end it became a mess (idk how) and it is only in THIS version for histerical versions, not being there in v1.1.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

A little advice ...delete the other versions with broken maps.
Never go public with not working content and call it a finished product.
Call it a beta or w.i.p. BUT DON'T CALL IT FINAL as long as those massive errors exists.
People start making fun of you and they will avoid you ...because you are not listening.

That's what Kaal also did.
He made crap maps and mods and was not listening to advices and he snitched other peoples work and mixed all of this together and asserted that this huge pile of stolen and broken crap was his achievement.
And he was annoying.
Gustavo6046 wrote:histerical
historical = histórico
hysterical = histérico

Which one is it now?
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

papercoffee wrote:A little advice ...delete the other versions with broken maps.
Never go public with not working content and call it a finished product.
Call it a beta or w.i.p. BUT DON'T CALL IT FINAL as long as those massive errors exists.
People start making fun of you and they will avoid you ...because you are not listening.

That's what Kaal also did.
He made crap maps and mods and was not listening to advices and he snitched other peoples work and mixed all of this together and asserted that this huge pile of stolen and broken crap was his achievement.
And he was annoying.
It is a WIP. It will never be final. It is a open-source project, so to say.
historical = histórico
hysterical = histérico

Which one is it now?
Hysterical is "historical" but so-said reasons are not very good. Also I have a new space CTF map, based on Q3CTF4. It is named Splat! and will be on v1.1.
I can't find many errors alone! Help to find them when v1.1 is released. :/
Ps: it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3n608n7taswgp ... k.zip?dl=0
Also I found one single error in DM-Amyss: Freaking Bad lightning errors in the outdoor area (who wouldn't find? :/ ) ALSO I CAN'T FIX IT GRRR !!

Weapon of Destruction
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Perhaps you should look at some existing Assault Bonus Packs ?
http://wayback.archive.org/web/20020122 ... nreal.com/
http://www.fileplanet.com/51677/50000/f ... -Pack-v418

AssaultTorrent.rar - 598 MB
http://tinyurl.com/zolbrck (contains the bittorrent magnet info below)

Code: Select all

magnet:?xt=urn:bitprint:Q5XU7SMX4BMGN4CRBROIKDDBS4MASL7S.TLWAS4KS3N7G3BWHRT7RS2A35LAUWOBGT2QXAOI&xt=urn:ed2khash:eddd67c96424eef47b5ef41fa7e31ac4&xt=urn:btih:TSLLXIUZOOOGHZ5W74T53R4YNS4ICJ54&xl=628082776&dn=AssaultTorrent.rar&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.prq.to%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.prq.to%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fdenis.stalker.h3q.com%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fdenis.stalker.h3q.com%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.thepiratebay.org%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.thepiratebay.org%2Fannounce
Or for eDonkey clients

Code: Select all

ed2k://|file|AssaultTorrent.rar|628082776|eddd67c96424eef47b5ef41fa7e31ac4|/
Multi-network download managers can use both types of link and more.
http://shareaza.sourceforge.net
http://sourceforge.net/projects/peerproject/ (Shareaza fork)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/quazaa/ (Win/Linux/Mac)
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Gustavo6046 wrote: It is a WIP. It will never be final. It is a open-source project, so to say.
Bullshit excuse.
Apart from the term "bonus pack" being iffy, here's how you do make a map-pack:

1) You make maps.
2) You make them great.
3) You gather a number of them in a single archive (according a single theme or focus) and distribute it.

Here's what you don't do:

1) Make maps
2) Get lost building them and come to the point they are both ugly, messy and unplayable while also being very incompetently done.
3) Throw a bunch of broken stuff in an archive and say it's done.
4) Work on 63415 maps at once because you have to debug and improve all the maps in the pack.
After one entire week (and half) of Mapping and Modding
Barely enough to build a single small map. Not to mention a map-pack.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Hellkeeper wrote:
Gustavo6046 wrote: It is a WIP. It will never be final. It is a open-source project, so to say.
Bullshit excuse.
Apart from the term "bonus pack" being iffy, here's how you do make a map-pack:

1) You make maps.
2) You make them great.
3) You gather a number of them in a single archive (according a single theme or focus) and distribute it.

Here's what you don't do:

1) Make maps
2) Get lost building them and come to the point they are both ugly, messy and unplayable while also being very incompetently done.
3) Throw a bunch of broken stuff in an archive and say it's done.
4) Work on 63415 maps at once because you have to debug and improve all the maps in the pack.
After one entire week (and half) of Mapping and Modding
Barely enough to build a single small map. Not to mention a map-pack.
Well what if I say IT IS NOT A FUCKING BONUS PACK?!? It's name has been GusPack since v1.0 and the new maps - DM-Airport, DM-Amyss and CTF-Splat! - are ready to be reviewed so RELOAD! I can't review my own stuff!

If I were Epic, I would hire the best reviewers to make quality control of my packs before releasing them. But I just am a fucking poor man which only purpose is entertainment and getting social even with this shit of Asperger syndrome!

Now, sorry if I used too much of "forbidden" terms, I must resume working in maps and improving existing ones! I can only improve them knowing their errors, which is only known by reviews...

While that in Zandronum IRC they call me annoying. Great! Everything I wish in life was to be A GOOD MAN with GOOD ASSETS and GOOD FRIENDS! Doom is not the right place, maybe here I can get better...

EDIT: Oh, and you probably knew this to use fucking 63415 to target me!

Weapon of Destruction
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

I don't give a damn if you have Aspergers, aids or are a semi-human midget or an alien from planet Zork.

You want real criticism? Here's some:

First, the build quality of geometry has increased tenfold. Sincere congratulations on this one: brushes are properly snapped to gris, there's no retarded intersect/deintersect like we've seen too often.

Next is how various things are unforgiveable.
Spoiler
DM-Amyss doesn't even load.
DM-SpacePark isn't even built (at least the lights).
CTF-Splat! is rubbish: playerstarts are not set properly so that you sometimes spawn in the enemy base, there isn't even a single light, you just set every surface unlit which looks like trash. Teleporters are not properly rotated so that you sometimes take a teleporter running and respawn facing towards the center and fall back on the lower platform. Geometry is semi-competently done, probably because there's a grand total of 12 brushes. The box containing the map is so small you can kill someone by shooting rockets behind the flag and they will detonate 30cm from the edge of the platform. You don't die if you fall out of the map and can run around in the skybox, which is like 2m under the lower platform. Not only did you not set the special event properly, it's not even being triggered by anything. The message is bugged so that even if you manage to trigger it, you get a "%k died in the void" instead of having a propert message. The skybox is failed with the edges clearly visible. One flag is not even centered.
AS-Snow is just like I remember it from last time, shouldn't be released.
CTF-EnforcedCross is an actual map! Except it has exactly 1 grey texture, blank white light that doesn't come from anything and it just a single straight line from flag to flag with a wall in the middle. Random teleporters added in the middle of nowhere because why not.
DOM-Hangar is ugly and the theme is completely abstract. At least it's functionnal. Pathing is pants-on-head retarded.
DM-Airport are you actually serious?
The other ones I don't have the heart to try.
Now, with no animosity, let's take a step back and examin the problem: you are still pretty much learning how to use UnrealEd, this is visible in how your geometry is improving, yet lighting and things like pathing or triggers are still a problem in your maps. Nothing wrong with that, we all have to learn. The problem is: you are releasing maps and packs and acting surprised when we disregard or shoot them down (I'll admit it fully, sometimes it's not even done politely). The maps you've provided in the pack are miles ahead of what you did before, but they are still beginners steps, they are the kind of tests you should be making for yourself. Not releasing. You should be coming up with maps like this and say "look guys, I did this, how can I improve my skills", or "I did that, it doesn't work, how do I fix it". Not "Here's my map, is it good, and if not, how to fix it", because in several cases, they cannot be made good, they are tests and trials, they will probably not develop into good maps, but they will be learning grounds until you have the skill to make good maps.

Your broken Special Event is a perfect example: you should not be releasing this because it's clrealy not done, it's not even tested (otherwise, the problem would have been found immediately). You should have been asking here "how do I do this".
Read tutorials, build tests maps even if you don't release them. Ask questions and you'll be answered. There's nothing wrong with learning, but if you just want to get something out immediately, you're bound to fail.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Hellkeeper wrote:I don't give a damn if you have Aspergers, aids or are a semi-human midget or an alien from planet Zork.

You want real criticism? Here's some:

First, the build quality of geometry has increased tenfold. Sincere congratulations on this one: brushes are properly snapped to gris, there's no retarded intersect/deintersect like we've seen too often.

Next is how various things are unforgiveable.
Spoiler
DM-Amyss doesn't even load.
DM-SpacePark isn't even built (at least the lights).
CTF-Splat! is rubbish: playerstarts are not set properly so that you sometimes spawn in the enemy base, there isn't even a single light, you just set every surface unlit which looks like trash. Teleporters are not properly rotated so that you sometimes take a teleporter running and respawn facing towards the center and fall back on the lower platform. Geometry is semi-competently done, probably because there's a grand total of 12 brushes. The box containing the map is so small you can kill someone by shooting rockets behind the flag and they will detonate 30cm from the edge of the platform. You don't die if you fall out of the map and can run around in the skybox, which is like 2m under the lower platform. Not only did you not set the special event properly, it's not even being triggered by anything. The message is bugged so that even if you manage to trigger it, you get a "%k died in the void" instead of having a propert message. The skybox is failed with the edges clearly visible. One flag is not even centered.
AS-Snow is just like I remember it from last time, shouldn't be released.
CTF-EnforcedCross is an actual map! Except it has exactly 1 grey texture, blank white light that doesn't come from anything and it just a single straight line from flag to flag with a wall in the middle. Random teleporters added in the middle of nowhere because why not.
DOM-Hangar is ugly and the theme is completely abstract. At least it's functionnal. Pathing is pants-on-head retarded.
DM-Airport are you actually serious?
The other ones I don't have the heart to try.
Now, with no animosity, let's take a step back and examin the problem: you are still pretty much learning how to use UnrealEd, this is visible in how your geometry is improving, yet lighting and things like pathing or triggers are still a problem in your maps. Nothing wrong with that, we all have to learn. The problem is: you are releasing maps and packs and acting surprised when we disregard or shoot them down (I'll admit it fully, sometimes it's not even done politely). The maps you've provided in the pack are miles ahead of what you did before, but they are still beginners steps, they are the kind of tests you should be making for yourself. Not releasing. You should be coming up with maps like this and say "look guys, I did this, how can I improve my skills", or "I di that, it doesn't work, how do I fix it". Not "Here's my map, is it good, and if not, how to fix it", because in several cases, they cannot be made good, they are tests and trials, they will probably not develop into good maps, but they will be learning grounds until you have the skill to make good maps.

Your broken Special Event is a perfect example: you should not be releasing this because it's clrealy not done, it's not even tested (otherwise, the problem would have been found immediately). You should have been asking here "how do I do this".
Read tutorials, build tests maps even if you don't release them. Ask questions and you'll be answered. There's nothing wrong with learning, but if you just want to get something out immediately, you're bound to fail.
DM-Amyss does load for me... :/

DM-SpacePark I forgot to build it :P lol

CTF-Splat! is updated with only one unfixable shit: some weird lightning in the middle platform. (Guess what map is CTF-Splat! based on? :D )
oh wait I forgot to include GusPack.u! but this one needs the newest version with the DeathZone actor, wait until v1.2 :)

AS-Snow was retired from the contest and is now in the Archive as-is for good reasons. :)

AS-PowerPlant is probably good, maybe you should try it because it is the most heavily-tested, fun and cool map in the entire Archive.

CTF-EnforcedCross Fuck no, I forgot to remove it from v1.1! Next v1.2 will NOT have it. :)

DOM-Hangar I forgot to update it to fit the quality control I just implemented :/

DM-Airport Yes it's the biggest map, you must have Unreal4Ever Tournament Edition (what the hell it is called) and fly using its airplane-model-like thingy. If not you can still have fun inside the airport and near the outskirts... but don't go far or you'll find a Redeemer but you'll have to walk back all the way :3 It was just a map I done to play with that airplane-model-like thingy. :)

Thank you so much for the reviews! Btw I can't test much because if else my PC overheat because the fan broke :( so I might be away for some time.

:idea: Make the maps editable (open-source)! If someone make good edits to them then the maps can be updated in the Archive!

Edit: now someone with UScript experience could kindly review the actors :)

Weapon of Destruction
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Just to make the point, I haven't downloaded this BP...
Gustavo6046 wrote:DM-Amyss does load for me... :/
DM-SpacePark I forgot to build it :P lol
...but just from skimming this thread, it sounds like you slapped this all together from a bunch of things that barely worked for you, that most doesn't work for anyone else (thinking some of it may be due to stuff you have on your system that others don't).

Why release a bonus pack of things that're mostly broken?

Especially when it would've been simpler to open threads for mapping projects you wanted help fixing. That way, eventually, you've got finalized workable maps that people like.

I've only skimmed this thread, and mostly only really read the stuff on this last page above, but it sounds like you released this thing just to get complaints.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
FXANBSS
Skilled

Post by FXANBSS »

Note that you need permission first to use a mod, ask the author of U4E, if you can't, you can at least, credit him.

Example:

Credits to:
blablabla

Really i don't know who is the name of the author... :(
Be careful, try to use the latest version or other version, the version of that mod must appear in the readme to avoid confusion.
I don't know what is the last version! I have found a last version but the BFG isn't complete green as the version i had in my childhood... Now i have a crap BFG. :p