New UT Enhancement Mod! Some help required!

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
~{kRiD}~
Average

New UT Enhancement Mod! Some help required!

Post by ~{kRiD}~ »

Okay so here's the deal. For quite some time now I've been on this kick of creating a mod to update the "graphics" for the weapons when you fire them. As well as enhance the game play with newer features the newer games in the Unreal series. Some of you may remember my first attempt at this with my mod EnhancedUT, which was a complete buggy mess. Then I posted talking about redoing the mod and changing the name to U.T.E.P! which stands for UnrealTournament Enhancement Project! Well finally I have started the project again and making progress this time around. And my good friend schlong hof had his project similar to mine but he is redoing the textures for the weapons themselves. He agreed to let me add these textures to my project. As soon as I get the code perfect I will start to import his better looking textures into the mod. Also a while back I got permission from feralidragon to take his NWUltraGore mod and edit it. Which I plan on doing so to add new player hit effects for each weapon, like if you get blown apart by a rocket, your body explodes and the body chunks will be on fire just like in the newer games. Well while I am doing this it dawns on me that just like every other mod to enhance the graphic aspect of the game, its out of place with the ugly old map textures. Even if you are using the extreme s3tc textures. Not all the textures are quite so pretty. Which is how I came up with the idea. Maybe we can get a little group going for this mod. I will finish all the coding for my mod and continue too enhance the textures and weapon effects the best I can. And while I'm doing this, just maybe I could get a person or a few people who would be interested in this as well to participate and help redo the texturing for all of the original maps and maybe some bad ass custom maps??? That way there we have a who new UT going if you will. If I can get this help I promise not to flake away on the project or disappear and actually follow thru with this project! I think UT4 is going to be awesome but its a while in development still and we have everything needed right here in the original UT. and I intent to prove it.

Nephew said he is going to release what he has done so far with that awesome UT remake and I plan on using some of his work with his permission ofc. and update the weapon models (with public polls ofc. I want to make this as awesome as possible!) And update the entire HUD interface with new, better looking weapon/status icons!

I really want to do this project but I really need a little help from the mappers here so fingers are crossed!!
UTX
Skilled

Re: New UT Enhancement Mod! Some help required!

Post by UTX »

It seems to me that it would be too much work to do something like that, and then, are we supposed to have two of the same stock map with just different textures?
The map textures don't seem that important to me, if you can finish this project of yours then the least important thing is the maps.

How are you gonna tackle the gore system you're planning? Is it going to be based on the weapon, the damage type, the damage amount or what?
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

I like the idea of a new and improved UT. UT4 isn't going to be close to UT99 in anyway. It's mostly like a child of UT3 and Ut2004.

I would help but I'm not good enough to really do anything :( .

Don't get Discouraged though. Start off small and work your way up. The Texture's and new weapon effects and things are a great start! Take a page from Naliweapons III's book. That has some kick butt effects.

I know Higor is working on a new engine (or extension to the current one). Maybe when ever that get's super far you could use some stuff from that in your project.

I really do hope people decide to help out with your cause. Even if it is small.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

How do you plan to improve the weapon details?
Just making bigger textures to get more details doesn't cut it... you have to rebuild the weapons as well, with more polygons. Or you just end up with good texture on low detail weapons... and this'll look very odd.

We had once a similar project in the background. But it got lost in the vortex of faded away interest and time.
I wish you luck and perseverance with your project.

I would join and help you with textures but I'm burned out a little bit after the Food Fight release.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

papercoffee wrote:How do you plan to improve the weapon details?
Just making bigger textures to get more details doesn't cut it... you have to rebuild the weapons as well, with more polygons. Or you just end up with good texture on low detail weapons... and this'll look very odd.

We had once a similar project in the background. But it got lost in the vortex of faded away interest and time.
I wish you luck and perseverance with your project.

I would join and help you with textures but I'm burned out a little bit after the Food Fight release.
Or use bumpmap if possible? :D
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
~{kRiD}~
Average

Post by ~{kRiD}~ »

Well truth be told, I'm a newb when it comes to this. Everything I now know is all self taught! But don't mistake that and think I don't know what I'm doing! When it comes to the coding, I got that legit, all day! Now when it comes to textures that's an entirely different story! Everything that I know so far about textures, which isn't much at all, just open/edit in Adobe Photoshop and "ENHANCE" them and make them more "crisp" and clear, I learned from my friend SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}! And so far all I am doing is exactly what you said which is opening the default weapon textures via Photoshop and "ENHANCE" them so they look as I said, more crisp and just all around better! So good that you can actually make out the text on the Rocket Launcher. And truthfully they don't look as bad as you seem to think. In fact they honestly look pretty bad ass! And again I owe that all to my good {HoF} friend. He started this retexturing project for his mod UTEW development system! And he gave me permissions to use whatever I'd like to add to my own enhancement mod for UT! Only I decided that I'd like to try to enhance the textures myself so I can learn to deal with things like that to add the new skills to my arsenal! As for making new weapon models, I know absolutely nothing about this but if that is truly what the people want then I will learn what i can and give it my best attempt! And I promise, I don't plan on getting discouraged or giving up. I agree completely with the idea of UT4 being more of a brother/sister game of UT3! Not only that but UT99 is still and always will be my all time favorite game out of the entire UNREAL searies! Period, point blank, end of story! This is why I am still going at it with my U.T.E.P! mod and plan on seeing it all the way thru til the complete end! And also like UT4 I intend on making this project public and will continue to ask for players opinions to see what they'd all like to see iterated into UT99! Features, ideas, looks, ect.. So please fam (yeah that's right, all of us left are like a tight family) give me all of your BEST ideas! I want nothing but the best ideas, features and so on added into this mod! Thanks again guys and keep the feedback coming!

P.S. - MAPPERS;
I'm usually not one to do this but I am begging, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, don't be shy or lame! Help your fellow UT99 family keep this game alive! I am doing a lot of work myself so I most definitely would NOT ask you guys to help me with this hard work with if I didn't intent on doing a lot of work on this myself!

Let's keep the best FPS and game out of the UNREAL series alive and make it better than ever. We'll show them how it should have been done from the beginning! This is going to be the best MOD/UTRP ever created for UT99!!! EVER!!!!!

UTX wrote:
It seems to me that it would be too much work to do something like that, and then, are we supposed to have two of the same stock map with just different textures?
The map textures don't seem that important to me, if you can finish this project of yours then the least important thing is the maps.

How are you gonna tackle the gore system you're planning? Is it going to be based on the weapon, the damage type, the damage amount or what?

Exelent question man. Tbh I haven't got that far yet so it really hasn't crossed my mind. But I would think the best way would be to base it off of damage type, such as jolted, pulsed, zapped, ect. If you can think of a better and more efficient way then I'm open to suggestion! Like I said I am all self taught so I am learning as I go along! EnhancedUT, the original version and attempt of U.T.E.P! was my very first mod ever and boy did I pick on hell of a duesy to start with. Its massive! But I have done several little side projects for friends and just random people that have asked me to do something for them. And since there aren't a lot of players left around who code and are decent at it, I felt obligated to help. It also gave me the opportunity to better my skills for my main project which definitely did help me! But as for your question, I think I answered it and also as I said, I'm open to any help and or suggestions. Just fire away with them key strokes and I will do my very best!
Last edited by ~{kRiD}~ on Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

I'm looking foward to seeing this progress. Later on if you wanted to add some better weapon models you could take a look at the mod for UT2004 called Unreal2341 I think. It has some good models.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

papercoffee wrote::!: :!: :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5436 :wink:
Huh. Never saw this. Maybe you could work with these guys. Looks promising. Different groups for different tasks. New Effects. New textures. New models and animations. New core&Engine extension for better game play. It can all tie together in the end. The problem is Communication. Maybe start a Git for the whole project with sections for each task.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

From all these I wanna see if codes and functionality will be improved or is just a mesh show leading to 0 FIX.