Need help to change default weapon properties

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
happy_jack
Novice

Need help to change default weapon properties

Post by happy_jack »

A mate and I have been playing ut99 over a LAN for years, and whilst we love most of the standard weapons, we both find the bio rifle and ripper to be comparatively under-powered. Have tried to balance them up a bit by increasing the fire rate or damage via the default properties settings without success, so just hoping someone can explain how this can be achieved or perhaps suggest another option or mod which changes these two weapons but leaves the others unaltered.
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Re: Need help to change default weapon properties

Post by SilverSound »

Ah. I remember when I tried doing this a long while ago. Default properties are changed with weapons on map start. (don't' take my word for it though. All I know is that no matter what, they get reverted back to the real defaults)

Your best bet is to just make a subclass of the weapon you want to change and find the code for fire rate and damage and just tweak it. I recently made the Sniper rifle have 100k more range than it's default. 9000* (the map I'm making is so large that you can't snipe....it doesn't hit scan far enough)

so, I could help you out with that if you wanted. Could be something for me to learn. (unless a pro wants to step up slap me away and help instead XD)

EDIT#1 : Just took a look at my own code. I can make what you want work.

EDIT#2: Spend an hour or so messing around with things. I actually can't get the fire rate to change at all. On the ripper or Bio. Also my weapon replacer isn't working. Oh well. I sorta threw it together. Maybe I can get it working sometime tomorrow it's too late for me to be doing this... ;-;/

Maybe someone more experienced should do this. If anyone would like to take it up. Also let me know how you do it. I'd like to know.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Wanted to suggest this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5687
but it seems it doesn't have such a function (I thought for sure it did)... still might help in customising even further, right? :)
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Don't change them, bypass them.

There's an old mutator made for UT, from like really close to when it first came out, called excessive which makes the snot(bio)gun and the ripper extremely powerful... although it also enhances all of the weapons to an insane degree.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
happy_jack
Novice

Post by happy_jack »

Thanks for the ideas so far guys but at the moment I’m really liking silversound’s suggestion to sub-class the weapons. I downloaded a text editor and attempted to fumble my way through however I’m afraid it was all way over my head and turned out to be a dismal failure. Is it possible to download a sub-classed weapon that somebody else has created and install it in the engine so it appears in the actor browser of the level editor?
SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

So I rememberd something important about UT. A while ago I modified the TeamCannon so that it would fire faster. The way I did that was I changed the Tick timer of the "()Fire" part of the script.

So I thought It might be the same for weapons. Turns out the weapons fire rate is all about the animation time. Looking at Exessive over kill, he takes the rippers

Code: Select all

simulated function PlayFiring()
{
	LoopAnim( 'Fire', 0.7 + 0.6 * FireAdjust, 0.05 );
	PlayOwnedSound(class'Razor2'.Default.SpawnSound, SLOT_None,4.2);
}

He changes the "LoopAnim" Numbers in the "()"

Code: Select all

simulated function PlayFiring()
{
	LoopAnim( 'Fire', 1.4 + 0.6 * FireAdjust, 0.05 );
	PlayOwnedSound(class'Razor2'.Default.SpawnSound, SLOT_None,4.2);
}
By changing the "0.7" to "1.4" he made the gun fire faster.

To change damage you'd have to make your own subclass of the RazerDisks one and two. Then reference that in the gun code. This is super simple to do.

Something I can't do right yet is making a gun replacement mute....

I added the weapons I fixed up today. They both fire ridiculously fast as an example of what you can do. It's uncompiled so you'd have to use UCC. Then load it in UED and place on your map. Or type "Summon WP.Cripper or Summon WP.CBio" to summon the weapons.
Attachments
WP.7z
Fast firing Bio and ripper.
(1.59 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
FXANBSS
Skilled

Post by FXANBSS »

Are you kidding me?
The Ripper is better than almost all the weapons, better than the rocket launcher and shock rifle, since it's very easy to use.
It's only great for servers, but i think you want to use a better ripper only for SP.

BTW, now i have a idea of making a extremely powerful Biorifle.

The new Ultra Biogun.
Primary Fire: Shots Biorifle ammo that explodes in a lot of bio.
Secondary Fire: Shots bio meteors. (Uses 50 ammo.)

Well, just it's my idea, maybe you will never going to see my weapon.
SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

I was always a fan of the ripper. My fav gun actually. The Bio was never used......it seemed like a gun that always got picked last (poor biorifle...)

But it is a good gun. Can one shot kill.
happy_jack
Novice

Post by happy_jack »

Thanks SilverSound, this is awesome! The new weapons are insane! I also found I was able to alter the pickup ammo count which is something that has had me baffled for ages. Would love to learn how to subclass the other weapons (namely the PulseGun) to do this but I’m still unclear as to where I get the data for the .uc files in the first place. I figured I would simply create a subclass then copy and paste the data from the stock weapon before making the relevant changes and compiling. If this is the way you do it, where do I find the stock weapon data to proceed?
SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

To get all the uncompiled Uscript files you have to open up the editor. Then go to the actor view double click an actor. (Any actor will do) then the Uscript browser will pop up (NEVER Use the editor for Uscript!!)

Go to file > export all scripts

A bunch of folders will pop up in your UT directory

Find "Botpack" go in there and find your weapon names. You don't actually have to copy every line of code to subclass a weapon. Because it's sub-classed, it inherits all of the things the base class has. Ex. Weapon model

Just copy and paste what you actually want to change and change it.

If you want some more in-depth help or have any questions just PM me and I can maybe get into a skype call and give you some pointers. :D
happy_jack
Novice

Post by happy_jack »

Thanks again Silver_Sound. By following your instructions I was able to create a subclass of the Pulsegun and reduce the ammo count in no time at all. You are a champion!!!
SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

update: I was able to get my Weapon replacement mutator working! ^_^

I had to look up some help because I was getting a "Unable to spawn actor_PlayerPawn" crash.(those wern't the exact words I don't think)

It's all good now. :rock: