Setting up a DNS to the server?

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
itsbowseryt
Novice
Personal rank: YouTuber

Setting up a DNS to the server?

Post by itsbowseryt »

Hello all! I need some tips if can i set a dns for my server (like noip.com). That is because my ip is changing everytime i restart my pc. Any help will be apreciated! :tu:
PS: The server is not hosted , that is the reason i want to set a dns.
the way it's meant to be played
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Setting up a DNS to the server?

Post by Barbie »

Have you tried a web search for "dyndns"? There are a lot of providers, even free ones.
If you have already have a rented domain it might be possible there, too.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Nelsona does this so wait for him to respond. It works just fine if it is setup correctly.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Several months ago was a kind of crappy war between M$ and NO-IP. Some people using home applications found themselves in troubles being unable to control their devices (CCTV, Alarm systems, ect) based on an unashamed sabotage delivered by M$ and "geniuses" resident there.
Because I found myself in troubles, I have switched to another Free Dns service made by some bright good guys - D u c k D n s. Name might be funny (no spaces) but it was working like a charm and host-name gets propagated fast as lightning.
there are 2 simple things to solve - one of them has to be chosen:
- Your machine will have installed an application delivering DNS info from time to time;
- You will set a scheduled task which will do a http call with your token-key to that address in purpose to locate your IP and give it a host-name that will be accessed on Internet (this is my way - each 10 minutes machine is pumping token key when is Started).
These are explained in detail right at their location + Linux support and other OS types.
Cons:
I did not figure yet IPV6 support which I can use even on XP, but I can access my location using a direct IPV6 call - at least I have a semi-static IP, more exactly is changing rarely but it's changing depending on ISP service, maintenance, checks on Internet, ect.

Edit: Note
That host-name can be used even in UT and it helps saving server in favorites list.