some modding ideas

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
Zeppy
Novice

some modding ideas

Post by Zeppy »

Lately I been using the ChaosUT Sword a lot, and got me thinking, a lot more could be done with this thing.
First of all, the sword is a melee weapon to use, can kill those bots in just 1-2 hits and a headshot, a lot more can be done with this.
Primary attack: Increase the sword's speed a little and the attack strength.
Alt: Since the blocking doesn't do much, why not have it shoot a projectile or something, the sword has some hidden power, swing to release.

Proxy Mines:
Fun little things, they follow their victims to their death, sadly doesn't work on monsters (can something be done about that?).
Could use a bigger explosion, probably use some NW3 explosion effects and such, make the enemies feel pain in agony.
Alt has them stand guard and activate when a enemy is nearby, shouldn't need much changes.

That's all my ideas for now
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: some modding ideas

Post by EvilGrins »

Zeppy wrote:Since the blocking doesn't do much, why not have it shoot a projectile or something, the sword has some hidden power, swing to release.
That sorta already exists. Have you never seen the lightsaber mutator from 2001?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

As a guy who has made a few I can say with some certainty that melee weapons just aren't very popular. They have too limited a range unless everyone else is using them too.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Only the bravest Chaos warrior discovers the power of blocking.
If you hold alt-fire with the sword, you can block bullets and run straight at your confused enemy.
Try it next time you see a player shooting at you with the enforcer, rifle or machine-gun.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

The best melee weapon ...is the fierce and deadly Frying Pan(TM). Come at me with your stupid sword, I'll smack you into the wall!!

:loool:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Hmmm a frying-pan vs. sword fight may have to be organised !
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:The best melee weapon ...is the fierce and deadly Frying Pan(TM). Come at me with your stupid sword, I'll smack you into the wall!!
Actually, the Frying Pan in =Food Fight= isn't the 1st Frying Pan made for UT/Unreal... and regardless, the lightsaber mod came with a "Force Push" as part of it's capabilities. That pan would never even get close enough to do damage!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote:
papercoffee wrote:The best melee weapon ...is the fierce and deadly Frying Pan(TM). Come at me with your stupid sword, I'll smack you into the wall!!
Actually, the Frying Pan in =Food Fight= isn't the 1st Frying Pan made for UT/Unreal... and regardless, the lightsaber mod came with a "Force Push" as part of it's capabilities. That pan would never even get close enough to do damage!
Is this "Force Push" projectile based? Then is it no match for the Frying Pan :ironic:
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:Is this "Force Push" projectile based? Then is it no match for the Frying Pan :ironic:
Not exactly. When you use the alt-fire to block it throws up a burst of energy that flings everything in front of you FAR away from you. There's no projectile, per se... just a blast of Force.
medor wrote:Image
You can sorta see the fading flare from The Force around her in that screenshot.

It even works against someone else who has a lightsaber. Makes dueling very fun!
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

It could be some Master Sword kind of thing, as it shoots magic when Link's at full health in some games.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

papercoffee wrote: Is this "Force Push" projectile based? Then is it no match for the Frying Pan :ironic:
I took a look at the code and it's not projectile based. In fact it looks like a pretty good match if the lightsaber did less damage. It's way overpowered though, pretty much a single hit weapon if you are not similarly armed. The pan has a larger range and less reliance on player rotation but the saber has the force push thing. I might toss some bots into an arena and see what happens.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Personally, I'm not much of a sword (of any type) player. While they look good from your 1st person perspective, when you see someone else using them, how the sword twists and loops around even though the player-model's arms & hands aren't moving with it, kind destroys the effect for me.

I'm just quirky that way.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

No, you are right. The lack of melee weapon animations for the default models was a real oversight on the part of the devs.
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

JackGriffin wrote:No, you are right. The lack of melee weapon animations for the default models was a real oversight on the part of the devs.
I guess it didn't matter as the Impact Hammer is the melee weapon by default and it pretty much needs the same movements as any other gun, however, they did make a chainsaw and it's the same thing so I guess you're right, those lazy devs.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

It gets kinda tricky in the code. You got 2 actors tied together.

For example, one of the Victory Dances I have in the FrickinSharks has them doing a 360* flip.
I have the laser beam set to stay on for a bit during the various random Victory Dances they do.

Attempting to synchronize the location of the laser beam actor with the models animation sequence rate, would be very
tricky I think, if it is possible. It gives me a headache thinking about it. :ironic:

The beam stays where it is, and the Shark just flips. That is how it is atm.

I suspect any complex melee weapon would run into the same sort of issues.
Seems like this is only an issue with 3rd person view of the thing.
blarg