Trapture the Flag (TTF)

Discussions about GameTypes
DougZilla
Novice

Trapture the Flag (TTF)

Post by DougZilla »

this game type concept would be sort of a cross between bunny tracks and CTF, instead of you dying like in bunny tracks when you capped, the map is open to both teams and you have traps set up though out the map, such as trap door you can switch or target shoot... the maps should be easy to setup.. even make the trap team based. I sorta made one a while ago, where only the red team could open the door next to their flag base, but had a slot in the door, so you can shoot them. I think it would bring a cool element to CTF. Let me know what you all think, the idea is MINE though so if it takes off, please give me some credit. The map tag could be TTF-Mapname. I just never had the time to bust out a bunch of maps. I could even host the server one I figure out the hosting setup. I have one small map I think we can use as an example. I will dig around see if I can find the screen shots.

DougZilla
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Trapture the Flag (TTF)

Post by papercoffee »

Ok.... I don't understand what's the goal of this game mode.
Making a default CTF map with triggered or manual activated traps is doable without creating a new game mode for it. :noidea
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

There are some gametypes you discrive already on ut 99.
I did play them a long time ago, but was never intressed in it but it is a nice gametype to play maby for some other players.
So this gametype already excist and is nothing new.

you mean this:

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=4U1G ... qxSYmOURv6

happy watching
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
DougZilla
Novice

Post by DougZilla »

No you guys are missing the objective, it is NOT bunny tracks, it is a Capture the Flag map but there can be traps to help you make it back to the base, like bunny tracks, like shoot a target and the wall opens and closes blocks off the chaser. NOT solo like in bunny tracks, it is hard to explain. Or maybe shoot a target or press a button and the floor opens and the flag runner falls into it the trap. Get it now. NOT BUNNY TRACKS, I know the version all to well, that is just doubled, blue side versus red side, my TTF is both teams battling like CTF. Does that explain it better.
Chris
Experienced

Post by Chris »

You better tone that "MY idea" down a bit, you post an idea you want someone else to make for you, yet you want them to give you credit. If you want credit, go and make it yourself.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

papercoffee wrote:Ok.... I don't understand what's the goal of this game mode.
Making a default CTF map with triggered or manual activated traps is doable without creating a new game mode for it. :noidea
↑ This

Still dont see the point of it being a different gametype... heck even Bunnytrack isnt technically a different gametype (it still used CTF prefix for maps and there were hardly any code changes done. Only in certain servers are there checkpoints and other things that actually change something. Your idea, since it doesnt seem to have a goal change ( still the same 2 teams with their same 2 flags) or coding change, seems to suggest that those traps can be done with movers and triggers on the map.
Chris wrote:You better tone that "MY idea" down a bit, you post an idea you want someone else to make for you, yet you want them to give you credit. If you want credit, go and make it yourself.
↑ Also this. Unless you help out with the project (see papercoffee's Food Fight mod) with mapping or (however much is actually needed) coding or.... idk... motivational cookies or coffee or something, don't expect much. Also your "MY idea" attitude is just bad... its like I would state "I want a MH map with lazer beams raining from space, but since its MY idea, whoever makes this map must credit ME for the idea!" ....... no man... just no :wth:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Let be bring a flashlight toward this... "idea".
I can make a simple "TTF" Map as follows:
- nearby Flag Bases 2 Buttons;
- in the middle a giant Lava and a large/longer bridge in 2 pieces operated by buttons TriggerToggle CrushWhenEncroach EncroachDamage=3000 PawnBump.

Action:
I'm doing nothing, but nothing. If enemy carrier is on bridge I jump out at button (active even by TTShot) and not directly visible by Carrier. Hey, Carrier, enjoy a trip to Hell. The game will do SUCKS... else this CTF controller what exactly is supposed to do at Bot in this case ? Else a different situation will need a different management. I don't want to ask if exist mappers able to make paths of such Movers, else OFF-Line won't make any sense and I'm getting tired of maps done "for servers" where mainly nobody is playing, only in a few cases...

And now think how much I.Q need player to make a mess around this type of CaptureTheNothing. Even a stupid creature can trigger a button for killing carrier if things are properly set. Simply a Skaarj can trigger that Button when Bridge gets bumped and then Monster taunting isolated in a room can be inspected by All Players VIA a "Camera" installed around. Have "fun"!
DougZilla
Novice

Post by DougZilla »

Chris wrote:You better tone that "MY idea" down a bit, you post an idea you want someone else to make for you, yet you want them to give you credit. If you want credit, go and make it yourself.
First off.. I thought this was a section for ideas, I never asked anyone to host or make the maps. I can make the maps... plus I am going to learn how to make a server and host it. But as I said it was an idea. I didn't mean to be rude.... I have been around this game and have played this game since 1999 and I have a lot of friends I played with, many clans I have played against and made some good friends. I do not think you should be so rude about an idea someone pitches in a forum where it clearly made for ideas. So forgive me if I offended you. I have seen a lot of heated topics over mappers, that get upset when people alter their maps, that they clearly made and someone acts like the created the map, that is all I meant, by my statement. I personally only had 2 or 3 of my maps to ever hit a server, because my maps are complex and people do not like those, they like open simple maps that are boxy and have can have a frag fest.

I may seem new here, but I had an account many years ago, that is why I came back here, because I thought this was a great forum. But maybe I was wrong.

And OK.. It might be a bad idea for a game type, but one could use the CTF-TTC-Mapname, perhaps.. I did not understand that this was about NEW game coding. Sorry.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

DougZilla wrote: And OK.. It might be a bad idea for a game type, but one could use the CTF-TTC-Mapname, perhaps.. I did not understand that this was about NEW game coding. Sorry.
And you didn't understand that it doesn't need to be coded anything to accomplish your "idea". Just make a map with triggerable traps and that's it.
I've seen many CTF maps with traps which could only be triggered by the opposing team. And they were not really fun to play, it was cumbersome as flag carrier especially because you can't teleport.
DougZilla
Novice

Post by DougZilla »

papercoffee wrote:
DougZilla wrote: And OK.. It might be a bad idea for a game type, but one could use the CTF-TTC-Mapname, perhaps.. I did not understand that this was about NEW game coding. Sorry.
And you didn't understand that it doesn't need to be coded anything to accomplish your "idea". Just make a map with triggerable traps and that's it.
I've seen many CTF maps with traps which could only be triggered by the opposing team. And they were not really fun to play, it was cumbersome as flag carrier especially because you can't teleport.
Thanks Papercoffee... I think you are a mapper of sorts.. I love to make maps too.. I am currently working on a new one that might be fun. I am going to try to get some SS. And I will try to add them in the appropriate place.

I seen somewhere there is a contest, I would join but my maps aren't good enough for contests. At least I do not think so.