reqruiting mappers and coders for new gametype: MonsterMatch

Discussions about GameTypes
Rakiayn
Masterful

Re: reqruiting mappers and coders for new gametype: MonsterMatch

Post by Rakiayn »

MrMoxxy wrote:
Rakiayn wrote: that is a good idea. at the moment I didnt succeed yet in changing the HUD. I hope I succeed sometime or that someone who knows how to code joins the project.
anyway about mapping. it is absolutly possible to start mapping without the code being finished. you just have to test the beta to see what kind of game it is. and then start mapping without placing any monster or pickups. you can do that when the code is final.
you can also place monsters and pickups from the current monstermatch.u file. but you'l have to delete the things you've placed when you have a new monstermatch.u file. otherwise you have the risk of being unable to open your own map if you replace monstermatch.u with the newer monstermatch.u.
i dont know how of a novice mapper you are ,but I hope you are not to novice. :P
the maps dont have to look uber leet, but I do want them to have a decent look
could you show some of your earlyer works?
well, I've just picked up mapping, so I've only made one single map so far. It's nothing to brag about but I made it learning the editor. The map is a simple DOM map made for InstaGib with few players, all default textures except a few logos. However I'm pretty sure that I can pep up the maps with custom or others great textures, it's just a matter of how much time I put into it. With this map I focused on learning the editor, and didn't take the time to focus on the look of it. The map can be seen here: http://www.ut-evilones.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=30

About coding, I had help with some custom things from a guy here : http://www.thedanesjoint.com , I was once in the same clan as him, he can make good stuff.
looks okay to me. and espacially for a firtst map :tu: . and there is plenty of time to make your map so dont worry :wink:

[did]Madis wrote:I think you need a HUD artist to make your mod a decent, easily understandable and fitting HUD. Once you get that out of the way and if the mod picks off (meaning it's multiplayer capable and has at least a dozen dedicated players), I would be willing to map for it. Otherwise, I think it's a very interesting mod.
thats indeed true.
ive been working on making it multiplayer capable myself. it still has some bugs.
and I dont know how all that server stuff works. so I hope a good coder joins to help with that. and with the HUD
zacman
Adept
Personal rank: M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Post by zacman »

Sorry to point this out, but The Dane quit Dev for UT. He doesn't script anymore.

Also, I think you need to change the script so that monster names aren't part of the script. Just make it default to the MenuName, so that scripting noobs can easily create subclasses.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198048595886]Image[/url]
MrMoxxy
Novice
Personal rank: ut99 Gamer/Admin

Post by MrMoxxy »

zacman wrote:Sorry to point this out, but The Dane quit Dev for UT. He doesn't script anymore.
He seems quite active at the HoF clan?
"I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might-have-been has never been, but a has-been was once an are." - Milton Berle
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

Well, it's even on his website, he quit-he was gonna help me with some scripting for TUT, but I've had to attempt it myself :(

Also, I've converted another gametypes map for this, but it's custom so I'll need to get the authors permission before release.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

zacman wrote:Well, it's even on his website, he quit-he was gonna help me with some scripting for TUT, but I've had to attempt it myself :(

Also, I've converted another gametypes map for this, but it's custom so I'll need to get the authors permission before release.
That's not quite the truth. The Dane was indeed about to quit on scripting, but since HOF gave him a special spot for his projects developing he's mapping and scripting again. Register at HOF if you don't believe me :wink:
HOF is doing a good job by promoting old and new coders to actually make mods to UT (giving them their own space) :mrgreen: So let's see if the modding community gets up again from there.
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

Well, good to hear he didn't quit :D
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

I will ask him if he is interrested in joining :)
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

Might I make a suggestion? Skaarj Troopers. You can stop them properly dropping their weapons. I already tested this last night- 1) Subclass all the UT weapons 2) In DefaultProperties, set collision to 0 and o, and set CollideActors to FALSE. 3) Under Inventory, Clear the Pickupviewmesh option. Now the weapons can't be dropped.
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

have you tested this in dm or sp?
the problem with skaarjtroopers is this. when the game starts,they dont have the weapon immediately,but the weapon spawns at the same location as the skaarjtrooper, they dont pickup there weapon immediately. first they have to walk out of the collision radius and then walk back in the collision radius to pickup the weapon. that results in skaarjwarrior often not picking up there weapons.

there is also a properties that makes the weapons not droppable. (bcanthrow)
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

Rakiayn wrote:have you tested this in dm or sp?
the problem with skaarjtroopers is this. when the game starts,they dont have the weapon immediately,but the weapon spawns at the same location as the skaarjtrooper, they dont pickup there weapon immediately. first they have to walk out of the collision radius and then walk back in the collision radius to pickup the weapon. that results in skaarjwarrior often not picking up there weapons.

there is also a properties that makes the weapons not droppable. (bcanthrow)
I tested it in Monstermatch-it works.
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

Rakiayn? I might be able to help with code dev, with a little help... I did an experiment, but so far I am lost... Any chance of a list of all the things that need to be changed to make a new monster spawner?
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

@zacman
nice :)
I will make a list tomorrow explaining how to make a new monster spawner.
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

So far I have made an instant reload ammo drainer, and my atempted forcefield spawner (Which I just changed Projectile of so the projectile script is most likely the problem XD) just makes a purple flash, and then it vanishes XD
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

zacman wrote:Thanks :)
So far I have made an instant reload ammo drainer, and my atempted forcefield spawner (Which I just changed Projectile of so the projectile script is most likely the problem XD) just makes a purple flash, and then it vanishes XD
sounds nice :)
there are some defaultproperties you have to change.
im guessing here that you are trying to make a monsterspawner that spawns a shield or a projectile?.

-defaultproperties

-mmspawner
-ammocost
The amount of ammo used when firing this weapon. ( alt fire and fire use
the same
amount of ammo)
-rechargetime
Determines the time a weapon uses to recharge. (not is seconds)
The lower this value is, the longer it will take for a weapon to recharge
For example, the flyspawner’s rechargetime = 0.25, and the warlord’s
rechargetime delay = 0.01
-bluespawnerskin
the skin on the weapon if the owner is on the blue team.
-redspawnerskin
the skin on the weapon if the owner is on the red team.
-greenspawnerskin
the skin on the weapon if the owner is on the green team
green time ins not yet available in monstermatch ( beta2.0).
-yellowspawnerskin
the skin on the weapon if the owner is on the yellow team.
yellow time ins not yet available in monstermatch ( beta2.0).

-weapon

-altprojectile class
Each type of monster spawner has its own projectileclass and its own
altprojectileclass.
-projectile class
Each type of monster spawner has its own projectileclass and its own
altprojectileclass.
-pickupammocount
players start with all types of monsterspawners, that is why this value has to
be set to zero,
else players start with to musch ammo

btw..if you want to make a monsterspawner that actually spawns monsters, there is a lot more to it, like making the monsters,the projectile etc..
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

Yeah, I'm trying to make a weapon that spawns the "Skaarj Nuke Commando," an Exploding Skaarj Trooper... I've tried changing the projectile scripts a little, but am still lost :/