reqruiting mappers and coders for new gametype: MonsterMatch

Discussions about GameTypes
Rakiayn
Masterful

reqruiting mappers and coders for new gametype: MonsterMatch

Post by Rakiayn »

Hi all.
I have been working on a new gametype called 'monstermatch'

a few days ago, I released a beta of monstermatch and a map.

you can find it here:
https://www.yousendit.com/download/YkxM ... S3F4dnc9PQ
or if you are a member of unrealplayground:
http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/ ... y.php?f=18

/////
I am looking for coders to help code the gametype.
If you are experienced in making HUD, then pleace join this project. I am looking for someone who knows how to make a HUD
also if you know how to make monstermatch multiplayer compatable. you are more then welcome.
I am also looking for mappers to make maps for this gametype. I would like to release this gametype with a (small) mappack
I myself will make at least one map. but if you want to contribute something else, like a model for a pickup. or if you have just some good ideas.
everything is welcome.
mainpoint is, I would like to make this a team project.
/////

Team:
-Rakiayn (coding,mapping)
-Aalexanderrr (mapping)
-MrMoxxy (mapping)

a short explenation of monstermatch:

/////////////////////////
/////////////////////////

Monstermatch is a teamgame, like ctf.
there is also a neutral team (yellow) there are only monsters on the neutral team, no players
In monstermatch, you dont start with the normal ut weapons. instead you have a weapon which you can use to spawn any unreal monster you want. (and a melee weapon)
these monsters will fight your enemey's and their spawned monsters. and you will receive score if they kill someone or someone's monster
the more score you have, the faster your ammo regenerates. stronger monsters cost more ammo then weaker ones.
you can conquer more territory by spawning your monster army's, or spawning stronger,more expensive but lesser monsters. thats your choice.

setup: the gametype looks a little like a mix of assault, ctf and monsterhunt
there are 2 bases. red teams base and blue teams base.
each base has a 'basequeen'
this is a strong monster that you need to protect from your enemys. you will gain a teamscore by killing the enemy's 'basequeen'

in the central area there are lots of neutral monsters. you can kill these monsters to gain score. thus making you more powerfull. a killed neutral monster will alse drop ammo.

there are also some pickups. weaker pickups are in the base you start.
in the big building in the village, there are some more stronger pickups.
pickups affect your monsters.
making them stronger, bigger, faster or something else...

Playing tips:
if you walk out of your base there are some weaker monsters like nalirabbits and lesser brutes. try killing these in the start to gain score in the beginnig by spawning a lesserbrute (6 ammo). if you have some score. you can try taking over the nalivillage in the central area. there are a lot of monsters, nalis and cow to kill so you will receive score.

//////////////////////////////////
//////////////////////////////////

some screenshots:

Last edited by Rakiayn on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
zacman
Adept
Personal rank: M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Re: reqruiting mappers and coders for new gametype: MonsterMatch

Post by zacman »

That's awesome :tu:
But please, can you elaborate more on why you want mappers and scripters?
All I see now is "I've made a great mod, but I need help with nothing at all"
:lol:
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198048595886]Image[/url]
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

its basicly because Id like to release this gametype with a (small) mappack
and for the coding.
Im not very good at coding , so there is quite some stuff I dont understand like HUD. bot behavior. menu layout. online play. servers. etc...
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

and of course there are loads of mappers who want to help maybe :tongue:
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Checked it finally. Not bad. Strategical. Regarding monsters you could add some more stuff:
The Spinners and the Predators from the Missionspack.
Other usermods like Legacy also offers some new pawn stuff (it seems you can use it without worrying, not only it was already used in some other maps and the readme does not say anything "you are not allowed to use it for your projects")
(in case you want that stuff, let me know and I will upload it).

Anyway, the mod has potential. :)
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman
Personal rank: BANANAS

Post by --=PsyXandeR=-- »

Before I actually start mapping for this one, I would like to take an opportunity to point out some things that I don't like. :tongue:

- Ammo pickups - They look strange. Extremely strange due to reflective shader like texture. They also bring the performance down big time. Perhaps making them simply transparent would look much better.
- HUD - it just doesn't feel completed at the moment. Apart from weapons panel, I'd also add Base Queen Health Bar that shows how much health both queens have at the moment of time since it would be impossible to kill em otherwise.
- Base Queen Health - I think you should tone it down a bit as 1000 somethings seems to be too much especially after killing all base monsters who aren't exactly pussies. :tongue:

And I guess what's pretty much it for now. I will report more as soon as I get to play around with the gametype in the aeditor a bit more. :wink:
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

Creavion wrote:Checked it finally. Not bad. Strategical. Regarding monsters you could add some more stuff:
The Spinners and the Predators from the Missionspack.
Other usermods like Legacy also offers some new pawn stuff (it seems you can use it without worrying, not only it was already used in some other maps and the readme does not say anything "you are not allowed to use it for your projects")
(in case you want that stuff, let me know and I will upload it).

Anyway, the mod has potential. :)
thanks.
Id like to add those monsters to my mod :)
--=Aalexanderrr=-- wrote:Before I actually start mapping for this one, I would like to take an opportunity to point out some things that I don't like. :tongue:

- Ammo pickups - They look strange. Extremely strange due to reflective shader like texture. They also bring the performance down big time. Perhaps making them simply transparent would look much better.
- HUD - it just doesn't feel completed at the moment. Apart from weapons panel, I'd also add Base Queen Health Bar that shows how much health both queens have at the moment of time since it would be impossible to kill em otherwise.
- Base Queen Health - I think you should tone it down a bit as 1000 somethings seems to be too much especially after killing all base monsters who aren't exactly pussies. :tongue:

And I guess what's pretty much it for now. I will report more as soon as I get to play around with the gametype in the aeditor a bit more. :wink:
I agree with you there.
except for the ammo I liked those :P
but if it brings down performende that bad. then I will change it.
I was thinking of some sort of hyper/modern like cage around the mesh of the ammo
so you wont think its an actual monster
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

I have a few Unreleased monsters I've made, if you want them to add... I have the Skaarj War Archon and the Skaarj War Saint. War Archon is an enhanced Skaarj Lord with more health, speed, and a leetified skin, and the War Saint is a skaarj that just bolts around and kills everythign (As opposed to the berserker who simply tries) I also have some others, if you wanna add them :tu:
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

I think he means really new monsters and NOT subclassed pawns with some changed properties and skins...

RTNP Spinner + Predator + Legacy Scorpion + Ant + Dino
DL:
http://rapidshare.com/files/273824820/pawns.zip.html
Mirror: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LPC4APEQ
An other mirror: http://netload.in/dateipq9JOKKf6l.htm
And just an other one: http://www.filefactory.com/file/ah47378/n/pawns_zip
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

Well, If I get the new class I'm working on ATM working, I'll post it...
MrMoxxy
Novice
Personal rank: ut99 Gamer/Admin

Post by MrMoxxy »

I'm a novice mapper, i can throw in a map i think?

About the base queen health bar, why not change the texture of the red and blue team on the HUD to a red and blue Queen texture and then simply place the health bar right below it? I hate the mods that overpaints the HUD with all sorts of useless informations. It takes away the focus of the match. Remove all the weapons in the weapon bar if you only have one weapon? I haven't tested it yet so i might understand that one wrong. But I like the idea and can donate a map later on when the mod code is complete (one cannot map untill all classes are made right?)
"I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might-have-been has never been, but a has-been was once an are." - Milton Berle
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

@creavion
those are some nice monsters. thanx :)
I don't know if I will make them all spawnebale monsters, but I will sure add them as normal monster.
but the readme didn't quite made it clear to me who to give credit

zacman wrote:Well, If I get the new class I'm working on ATM working, I'll post it...
Sure no problem. I will check it as soon as you've posted it.
MrMoxxy wrote:I'm a novice mapper, i can throw in a map i think?

About the base queen health bar, why not change the texture of the red and blue team on the HUD to a red and blue Queen texture and then simply place the health bar right below it? I hate the mods that overpaints the HUD with all sorts of useless informations. It takes away the focus of the match. Remove all the weapons in the weapon bar if you only have one weapon? I haven't tested it yet so i might understand that one wrong. But I like the idea and can donate a map later on when the mod code is complete (one cannot map untill all classes are made right?)
that is a good idea. at the moment I didnt succeed yet in changing the HUD. I hope I succeed sometime or that someone who knows how to code joins the project.
anyway about mapping. it is absolutly possible to start mapping without the code being finished. you just have to test the beta to see what kind of game it is. and then start mapping without placing any monster or pickups. you can do that when the code is final.
you can also place monsters and pickups from the current monstermatch.u file. but you'l have to delete the things you've placed when you have a new monstermatch.u file. otherwise you have the risk of being unable to open your own map if you replace monstermatch.u with the newer monstermatch.u.
i dont know how of a novice mapper you are ,but I hope you are not to novice. :P
the maps dont have to look uber leet, but I do want them to have a decent look
could you show some of your earlyer works?
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

@Credits: Team Legacy I think and Asgard
About to be non-active
MrMoxxy
Novice
Personal rank: ut99 Gamer/Admin

Post by MrMoxxy »

Rakiayn wrote: that is a good idea. at the moment I didnt succeed yet in changing the HUD. I hope I succeed sometime or that someone who knows how to code joins the project.
anyway about mapping. it is absolutly possible to start mapping without the code being finished. you just have to test the beta to see what kind of game it is. and then start mapping without placing any monster or pickups. you can do that when the code is final.
you can also place monsters and pickups from the current monstermatch.u file. but you'l have to delete the things you've placed when you have a new monstermatch.u file. otherwise you have the risk of being unable to open your own map if you replace monstermatch.u with the newer monstermatch.u.
i dont know how of a novice mapper you are ,but I hope you are not to novice. :P
the maps dont have to look uber leet, but I do want them to have a decent look
could you show some of your earlyer works?
well, I've just picked up mapping, so I've only made one single map so far. It's nothing to brag about but I made it learning the editor. The map is a simple DOM map made for InstaGib with few players, all default textures except a few logos. However I'm pretty sure that I can pep up the maps with custom or others great textures, it's just a matter of how much time I put into it. With this map I focused on learning the editor, and didn't take the time to focus on the look of it. The map can be seen here: http://www.ut-evilones.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=30

About coding, I had help with some custom things from a guy here : http://www.thedanesjoint.com , I was once in the same clan as him, he can make good stuff.
"I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might-have-been has never been, but a has-been was once an are." - Milton Berle
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

I think you need a HUD artist to make your mod a decent, easily understandable and fitting HUD. Once you get that out of the way and if the mod picks off (meaning it's multiplayer capable and has at least a dozen dedicated players), I would be willing to map for it. Otherwise, I think it's a very interesting mod.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile