Gotta get 'em all!

Discussions about GameTypes
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Gotta get 'em all!

Post by EvilGrins »

There's just certain maps that really click for a player. I mentioned before that I have HallOfGiants for DM (2 versions), DOM, CTF, and now CTF4/CTFM. If I could find more versions I would, though admittedly I had some creative altered ones years ago also for DM I can't find now.

Morbias][ has always been my favorite map for LMS but there's more than a few of these. There's a DM-Morbias][4way which adds two additional alcoves on the left and right instead of just straight across. Just standard Morbias][ I have it for DM, DOM, & CTF...which makes for some really weird play on that last one.

What're your favorite maps and how many versions of them do you have?

:rock:
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
TheIronKnuckle
Novice

Re: Gotta get 'em all!

Post by TheIronKnuckle »

facing worlds, and I don't want to count :lol:
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

TheIronKnuckle wrote:facing worlds, and I don't want to count :lol:
Know what you mean. Was just on Mapraider and found a new version: CTF-FacingDragons.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

DM-Zeitkind and all the other versions. There is a really good CTF version, that also expands it slightly.

I used to hang out in this city map online in Unreal !
There was a German guy (One of the original makers) who used to host just this 1 map, and it sort of became a bit of a chat-room.
He used to put pupae in the dark places, and rock-throwing b*stards on top of some of the skyscrapers.

But then I've always had a lot of love for all the DM-Bathroom variations.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

DM-Bathroom was fun, for a giant sized map. Started me collecting a lot of big rooms for awhile.
D3$TR0Y3R
Average
Personal rank: xXProNoscoperHD420Xx

Post by D3$TR0Y3R »

Dr.Flay wrote:DM-Zeitkind and all the other versions. There is a really good CTF version, that also expands it slightly.

I used to hang out in this city map online in Unreal !
There was a German guy (One of the original makers) who used to host just this 1 map, and it sort of became a bit of a chat-room.
He used to put pupae in the dark places, and rock-throwing b*stards on top of some of the skyscrapers.

But then I've always had a lot of love for all the DM-Bathroom variations.

Those rock throwing monsters are called titans, and I think I had played this map once. Does It have a helicopter?
Image ImageImage
There are three types of people: Firestarters, firefighters, and fuel.
MEAT
Adept
Personal rank: better then you...

Post by MEAT »

my 2cents worth:
I'm not a map builder at all but I know and appreciate good maps because I'm a good player.
But the problem I see with a lot of map builders is that...they are not good players
so they build maps that are visually appealing but lack playability or flow.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

^ Very true. The same applies to any development made for the game, either maps or even mods.
If you don't get minimally skilled also playing the game and if you don't get a skilled player to play your map or mod, odds are that your stuff will look great but won't either be playable or enjoyable to play.

To any developer: if you don't have the skill to play the game, contact someone you know that has that skill to test your things out, then the final product is most likely to be really really good.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

D3$TR0Y3R wrote:Those rock throwing monsters are called titans, and I think I had played this map once. Does It have a helicopter?
Oh yes I know now, but at that early time I had yet to play through the first Unreal (I was distracted by UT).
On top of a sky-scraper they were just B*stards :lol:

Most versions of DM-Zeitkind have a moving platform that takes you from the city-square to the back of the city, past the police station (The modern CTF version has 2).
Some early versions had a cannon mounted on the wall in front of the moving platform, so you could mow-down anyone entering the square.

I think the Zeitkind server I used to visit was "Killroys server" (seems to ring bells). I liked it there as it was a very Gentlemanly place, where people left you alone if you were standing in a corner facing the wall, or laying down (Feign death) because you were obviously busy chatting and no challenge.
One day while I was looking for a good sniping spot, I got told "I wouldn't stand there if I were you". I was such an easy target he/she gave me a chance to find cover.
This is why I love the Unreal community.
You don't find it often, but when you do, gentleman gamers restore my faith in good healthy fragging fun :tu:
Look for that in the Halo fraternity and you'll be looking a long time!