Discussions about GameTypes
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Agent X (Undercover Operations)

Post by Dr.Flay »

Agent X (Undercover Operations) Version 2.4
http://www.moddb.com/mods/agent-x

Does anyone here have any editing experience with this mod ?

It used to work fine, but now certain weapons are invisible.
eg. Shotgun, pistols, and uzis.
I can see the AK47, M4, P5, rocket launcher and crates of explosives.
This is in-game and also when editing maps.
eg. If I open one of the pre-made Realism maps, there are lots of empty looking spaces!
http://www.moddb.com/games/unreal-tourn ... istic-maps
You can pick up the invisible weapons, but there is no first person view of you holding it either.
It is possible I have developed a texture conflict with another mod, but after re-installing Agent-X, and looking at the files I am not so sure.

I'm going to see if "Operation Stingray" is now a better bet. I like the idea of the ricochet with the bullets (like the chaos rifle).
http://www.moddb.com/mods/operation-stingray

@Gopostal, You can chip in at any point with your shotgun if it is finished? (and will it be stand-alone or in a pack?) I'd be happy with a classic double-barrel.

PS. this is for my CTF re-edit of the GangOfFrontCity map (with vehicles). Once I have the weapons I want (I need a decent pump-action shotgun, and don't care about uzis) I will also be turning it into CTF4, and maybe have a go at Domination (even though I don't play it much), but I want the experience in UnrealEd.
If someone else can have a quick look at the original, and give me any advice on anything I need to fix would be nice :wink:
Even to my mapping-newbie-eyes, this map is a mess. Switch on wireframe mode and see what Cleveyus (the author) was planning :shock:
Getting bots to navigate some of the narrow gaps is a complete pain :mad2: (dealing with, or trying) and a doorway, and hole in a wall are are too small (will use teleport path-node). The original spawn points, and defence points (now working on) have to be re-done.
The skyzone is a complete lash-up (it is in the middle of the map! LOL).
It is very, very surreal if you actually switch the map's backdrop textures to "fake backdrop" mode :ironic:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthre ... ost2548325
Actually I would recommend mappers open this map, just for the W.T.F! effect in wire-frame view :loool:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Agent X (Undercover Operations)

Post by Feralidragon »

Just one thing: gopostal is "retired", aka, out of the game and anything that involves any editing for it.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Ah, thanks Ferali, his thread on his mod did go quiet, but I don't remember a statement of closure.

Ah well, any other recommendations for a good shotgun alternative would be nice, but not a big deal as I will be keeping a mix of real and Unreal weapons in the map, so I may put the trusty old Flak Cannon into this map.

I had a look at Operation Stingray and Covert Forces last night. WOW ! I never had a mod crash UT so badly before! I couldn't even open the "play practice game" without it crashing.
Neither one is any good anyway, as they are both far too large. I am trying to keep excess bulk to a minimum (I hate bloat-ware with a vengeance).
Agent X is nice and small, so I may stick with that (though I may use a different M4).
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Feralidragon wrote:Just one thing: gopostal is "retired", aka, out of the game and anything that involves any editing for it.
I dunno about that. He still actively posts on other forums about stuff, and edits too.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

EvilGrins wrote:
Feralidragon wrote:Just one thing: gopostal is "retired", aka, out of the game and anything that involves any editing for it.
I dunno about that. He still actively posts on other forums about stuff, and edits too.
He left this community and others, started a project that could keep many servers fair and trustful (many admins actually used it happily), a certain someone decided to just blow it off last week for his own sake and when a certain community admins were faced with it, he was told to f*ck off instead of looking it through, so as of last week he really left UT and anything associated with it, so you won't see him around anymore for a good time at least.
If I was in his shoes and the same happened to me, I would have the same attitude and would have moved on to something else, this time is for real.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Feralidragon wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:
He left this community and others, started a project that could keep many servers fair and trustful (many admins actually used it happily), a certain someone decided to just blow it off last week for his own sake and when a certain community admins were faced with it, he was told to f*ck off instead of looking it through, so as of last week he really left UT and anything associated with it, so you won't see him around anymore for a good time at least.
If I was in his shoes and the same happened to me, I would have the same attitude and would have moved on to something else, this time is for real.
Was this the BeyondUnreal "Zombies3-Beta" thing, by any chance?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

No, it has nothing to do with that, the actual reason is much deeper and much much worse than that, and it didn't even occur at BeyondUnreal.
Either ways, I would ask you to not ask anything else about that, as I won't give out details about this out of respect for Gopostal.

Everything people here have to know is that as for his stay in the community goes, he's not coming back after what happened and won't edit anything for anyone again, at least for UT.

Now let's get back on topic please. (sorry DrFlay for the offtopic)
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Oh poo, that's a shame, he was a keen contributor of ideas and actual work. I was hoping he may finish his hellhound wolves, as I use a few of his other conversions.

Personally I have just had a run in with the trolls on "Beyond Unreal" (an admin troll, for f*ck sake!) forum, but I can't be bothered to bite back. :(
I didn't realise BU was run by children. No wonder I get a better conversation here, where people are active and creative.
Thank you all :tu:

Well I'm just going to try and sort out some geometry issues (invisible walls) with CTF-GangOfFrontCity and let a few people have a test play, for some play-feedback.
I am happy with how the map is now being used for a 2 flag match, but it may change as it is slightly unbalanced with bot matches (I may balance that with fire-power).
With two teams of real people working in split groups this map may work very well as it is, but I can't test that.

I'll try and get the original author to come over here (the light side) to chat. It would be nice to make any other conversions match-up with decorations etc, and get an official :tu:

Still for now then I am sticking with Agent-X and Flak Cannon for a shotgun (still gotta put it in and test it).