CTF2DOM - Play Domination on any CTF map. - Now Obsolete

Discussions about GameTypes
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

CTF2DOM - Play Domination on any CTF map. - Now Obsolete

Post by MrLoathsome »

I decided to take a night off from testing that Random Spawn Locations thing I am working on.

But staring at the TV was sorta boring, and after a few beers, it occurred to me that I needed
more Domination maps for testing. Hundreds and hundreds of maps. :shock:

Problem is UED pisses me off and I don't know nothing about no mapping.
And ain't nobody got time to write hundreds and hundreds of DOM maps in one night.

So I wrote this:

Code: Select all

1:39 AM 3/30/2013  -  MrLoathsome

CTF2DOM - Play any CTF map with the Domination gametype.   

Install:

Drop CTF2DOM.int, CTF2DOM.u and CTF2DOMx.u into your UnrealTournament\System directory.

Usage:

Select "Domination - CTF Maps" from the GameTypes list, and play Domination on your CTF maps.

Full support for 2-4 teams on any map.

No changes made to the domination gameplay whatsoever.

This only does the following:

1.  Points the gametype at CTF maps instead of DOM.
2.  Checks the map at startup and spawns a custom control point at or near the default flag locations.
3.  Makes a few adjustment to point the default Domination gametype at the new control points.

"CTF2DOM.Domination" is the new gametype class.

Source code inculded in the Source folder.

uz files included for server redirects,

Thats it.

Bots seem to love it.

Enjoy !

*Edit: Tested with 1 CTF3 map. Should work with CTF4 maps also, but not tested.....
**Edit2: Obsolete download removed. Look for MegaDomination release thread soon.
Last edited by MrLoathsome on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
blarg
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: CTF2DOM - Play Domination on any CTF map.

Post by papercoffee »

Wait ...where do this modification put the control-points in a CTF map?
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

going to add this to server right this instant.. be kean to see how this one pans out ..
ok done a quick online test .. theres one control point (for each team) and after securing both control points thats it round over?

Code: Select all

[Botpack.Domination]
bDumbDown=True
bUseTranslocator=True
bCoopWeaponMode=True
GoalTeamScore=100
anyways Ive decided to try and stick with dDM and rdDM which is DomDeathMatch and [Ra]DomDeathMatch for now :)

see how she goes.

got them on the PSYCHO | SERVERS atm. only those 2 gameTypes for Now. however others are setup but just disabled atm. Run out of space kinda deal.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Wises wrote:theres one control point (for each team) and after securing both control points thats it round over?
So... it changes the flag-base with the Domination point? If yes ...got this mod my attention.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

yep thats what it does , however there is only one flag base so one control point.. therefore .. idk .. what can we do with it?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

I can't right now ...too much to do.
I check this forum only once every hour.

But I got Ideas for maps where the flag-base is not directly surrounded by team-spawn-points. Those maps could be used for this Mod ...some kind of hardcore double domination. Or small CTF maps could be used also.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

Wises wrote:yep thats what it does , however there is only one flag base so one control point.. therefore .. idk .. what can we do with it?
It should play just like any normal Domination map that has 2 or more control points.
(It should also work on a CTF map with only 1 flagbase...)
Game shouldn't end until the GoalTeamScore has been reached.
Works fine in testing with 2, 3 or 4 teams.

Most maps the bots seem to deal with it very well, although a few I have tested they
didn't go searching for the 2nd control point. The problem there is probably a combo
of no or poor bot pathing on that CTF map, and I just should have had a few extra bots in the game.

Also, this will tend to work better in conjunction with the Random Spawn Locations mutator.

At the moment this is restricted to just 4 control points, as the most flags I was expecting to
find on any CTF map was 4. I would just have to change that 1 value to make it support maps
with up to 16 flagbases on them. The domination gametype supports up to 16 control points.
You can make DOM maps with more than that in them, like the DOM-(Chaos_Snake)-SpinningAround map, but
array out of bounds errors will show up in the log file for points over 16.
Scoring will still work right however as dom checks the navigation point list instead of its ControlPoints
array when it adds to the team scores. (No idea why they would do it like that...)

Although, if you are writing the map, you could write a DOM map instead.... :roll:

GEx pointed me at this map which I have been using for testing this and a few other things: http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/ ... le&id=8008

CTF3-300K-7rings.unr

Very interesting little map. (Not sure why it was given an F grade...)

This map has this feature sort of built into it. If you rename it from CTF to DOM, it adds its own controlpoints automatically.
It must be doing an internal check on the current gametype for setting that up, as it switches the flags to controlpoints
even if the map is still named CTF3.

This mutator isn't even needed when playing on that map. You will actually end up with 2 control points sorta stacked up
at each base if you do run it. You can toggle them independently if you move in real slow. (They are very close to each other.)
Only one of the points at each base will actually accumulate team score, but it will get checked twice.... :omfg:

It doesn't break anything, although the map will end twice as fast as it normally would.
The parent Domination gametype will score based on the 3 bases the map adds to the navigationpointlist, and my
little gametype scores the same 3 bases since the ones it adds when it initializes the ControlPoints array in
PreBeginPlay get clobbered by the parent Domination gametype's PostBeginPlay, but since the points are so close, it makes
no real difference. (You have to try hard to only trigger 1 of them...)

I wasn't planning on changing anything to fix that issue, unless somebody told me there are more maps
out there that have both flagbases and controlpoints in them, and do this sort of thing.

But, while I have been slowly typing this reply, I have been staring at the code for this and for the default Domination.
There is a bit of redundant processing going on with the way I have done this. Not a whole lot, but it is in the Timer() function.
(Is Timer() in a gametype an important function?) :loool:

This can be optimized quite a bit more I think.

I think the next version will deal with that issue, eliminate the redundant code and support CTF maps that
have anything from 1 to 16 flagbases on them. (And no. CTF16 is not on my list of things to write atm. :ironic2: )

---------------------------

*Edit: (Wow, I typed a lot last night. Was thinking out loud while updating this I guess. Hooray beer! :lol2: )

Got several interesting things done with this today however.
It will now support a CTF map with up to 64 flagbases on it, replacing each with a controlpoint. (I think...)

Also, on maps with only 2 bases, (most of them...), it will add a 3rd controlpoint somewhere near the
middle of the map.

I am thinking this will include a new config variable that will allow users to specify how many extra
control points it should add to the map in addition to the ones it adds on the flagbases.
It will attempt to place those near pathnodes and roughly equidistant from each other.
There will be some randomness, so the extra controlpoints will vary in exact location each time
you play a map.

This is gonna be nifty.....
blarg
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

It is not uncommon for an author to make 1 map do several game-types.
UEd shows everything, but the game only shows the stuff relevant to the game-mode.
I've often found DM maps that were not intended as DM, but the author gave up on their original idea and just renamed it.
Usually a failed Assault or CTF project.

Hmm, I wonder where it will put the middle point in CTF-ZeitkindDCSE :D
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

I'm not sure, but this map seems interesting and maybe it would help with what you're making.
http://medor.no-ip.org/Maps/DeathMatch/dm-tf8472.zip
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

But this gets played on CTF maps, not DM...

Once I get this working the way I want, I might make a version to play DOM on DM maps if there
is any interest.
blarg
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

If you ask the community for interest, you gonna have a bad time.
I would nearly suggest you: Just do it, somebody will surely like it.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

No, that map ain't just DM, it's DOM, CTF and even AS too!
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

GEx wrote:No, that map ain't just DM, it's DOM, CTF and even AS too!
Ah, very interesting. Grabbing it now. This and the RSL thing both need to work on maps
like that, as well as more conventional ones.
Creavion wrote:If you ask the community for interest, you gonna have a bad time.
I would nearly suggest you: Just do it, somebody will surely like it.
Exactly. Re-read what you just wrote, and then change your sig. to "About to be more active"

Look at some of the projects currently underway. Higors botz and other stuff. The NewNet thing.
Dots thing where you can connect to a 227 server and play with your UT client. (It works !)
Not to mention the seemingly constant stream of new Maps and weapons and other stuff people
keep cranking out.

The community isn't dead, it is regrouping.

This stuff I have been posting the last few weeks, is just sort of a preview for something bigger.
(DM2DOM gametype, and the others would be included in the bigger thing. Probably won't release any more bits of
it separately after I finish tweaking this one and the RSL mutator a bit more.)
All the fixes and extensions I am making to the Domination gametype, will be included in all Domination
gametypes that will be available in the bigger thing.
(And none of them change the base Domination game logic or play. The fixes are just code optimizations and error corrections.)

Some of your questions and ideas motivated me to add all the full 4 team support stuff to the
spawning routines in the RSL. :tu:

Try taking a short break for a bit from actually working on anything. But keep playing and checking in here.
After I finished that UTSPFix pack, I took a break from writing anything for over a year. I feel better now. :agree1:
blarg
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Hey Mr. Loathsome, would you make the CPs to appear in the HUD like in regular DOM?
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

GEx wrote:Hey Mr. Loathsome, would you make the CPs to appear in the HUD like in regular DOM?
The next release will display up to 5 of the Control Points on the HUD. I shifted them down a bit so
the top one won't be in the text message area in the upper left. It will also display info for how many
points are controlled by each team, which is the only good way for this to support more than 5 points
that I have come up with so far.

Here is a screen shot of the new HUD, in a DOM game on a DOM map with 2 extra control points.
http://www.coopmedia.com/UTPics/MegaDomSS01.jpg

Click the link to see the whole thing. (Forum seems to be cropping it....)

Also, this CTF2DOM thing is obsolete now.

MegaDomination will include 3 gametypes, so you can use it on CTF, DM or DOM maps.
All of which should show up in the Domination Tab in the UT server brower.

Release should be soon...
blarg