BetrayalUT [Project]

Discussions about GameTypes
Higor
Godlike

BetrayalUT [Project]

Post by Higor »

Opening thread to make work in this open project somewhat something official.

Project link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2z95r9klaoqva83/MTd__wdXHz
You may download and build the project for testing purposes.

DONE:
- Clientside skin enforcer.
- Removed all LC code.

TODO:
- [Open] Create a proper original scoreboard layout, concepts appreciated.
- [Higor] Add LC counterpart of the betrayal rifle in LCWeapons.
- [Higor] Rewrite betrayal teams to handle more than two players.
- [Higor] Implement experimental replication on betrayal teams.
- [Higor] Create FerBotz plugin that isn't version dependant.
- [Open] Implement 'betray' behaviour in UT Bots, and ability to detect betrayer teammates and handle them.
- [Open] HUD and sound effects.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: BetrayalUT [Project]

Post by EvilGrins »

Somewhere there's a mutator/gametype called, I think, Thieves... which might have a variant of bots betraying each other. As the purpose of it is to get players to take things from each other.

Never played it myself but there was a discussion in this forum about it maybe a year or so ago.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Higor wrote: - [Open] Create a proper original scoreboard layout, concepts appreciated.
What do you need?
I made the logo and leader-board graphic for the MH2 Gold mod.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

- [Open] HUD and sound effects.

Hmm. :)
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

Just wondering, because of the lack of descriptions here: Is this supposed to be a port of UT3's Betrayal mode or something entirely different?

If it's supposed to be a port (potentially with improvements), feel free to reuse parts of the code of my UT2004 port.
If not, just ignore this post. :)
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

I can be very stubborn when it comes to functions and methods.

I intend to achieve somethnig like the UT3 mode, but with some more improvements as development progresses.
After all UT99 isn't UT3 and some changes might happen.

Noticed my implementation is a gametype instead of a mutator, and that I intend to not touch the PRI classes for more compatibility.
Will still take a peek at the code at least to see how teams are arranged based on player count...
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

Teaming essentially is based on the total number of players. Up to 6 players, teams will consist only of 2 players, while more than 6 players in the match raises the maximum team size to 3 players. I modified various rules and mechanics of the original game mode, in an attempt to make playing more interesting and force it more in the intended direction.

Betrayal was always a game mode, not a mutator, btw., but if you still intend to keep the original PRI class, have a look at the Jailbreak.JBTag class. Mychaeel "invented" that tagging system based on Inventory actors for Jailbreak 200x because he, too, wanted to use the original classes as much as possible. JBTag subclasses are used for players, clients, and even navigation points. I suppose for UT1 a player-attached tag actor would go to the player's PRI Inventory chain, as the PlayerPawn's inventory gets cleared on death. (Later engine generations separated Pawn and Controller, so the player tag would be in the Conrtoller's inventory chain.)

A note on the teams: There can be an unlimited number of teams and they don't have any specific number. For identification purposes, the player and his teammates appear blue on the player's client, while all other players appear neutral.