Translator in MH

Discussions about GameTypes
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Translator in MH

Post by JackGriffin »

I'd nearly forgotten to post back here but these are the things you'll miss if you never think outside the box. Everyone has played Dig, right? Bet you never knew this was there:
Dig1.jpg
See up under the rafter? Here's what it says:
Dig2.jpg
And in Orticon:
Ort1.jpg
Way up top it has something you could never find without flying. You can barely see it in the center of the star...
Ort2.jpg
There's stuff like this all over the place. It's worth adding something to your server so you can find these things if that's fun for you.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Recently I noticed that Double Jump from "DoubleJumpUT.DJ_InventoryItem" does not work any more, if you pick up a Translator...
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Import that into your mod like I did and it will prevent issues like this.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Barbie wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:36 pm I already tried to solve this with a trigger, but the message length seems limited (see Diskussion in Unrealwiki also).
In wiki talk you say
With server version 451 strings longer than 496 chars are not displayed.
I think you try check this with string contains repetitive characters. I got similar result if I use single char string.
But I fail display Critical Event message (on map Vortex from Legless Krall) with near 276 chars.
So I make additional tests (with random characters in string) and find next very important things:
1. Message send to client compressed. So you can not think about 496 bytes.
2. Max RPC bunch size is 512 bytes. Possible UDP datagram size.
3. Really limit depends from string content. I get 247-248 chars for complete random strings which can hardly be compressed. So it is real limit.
4. For really random string no difference between ClientMessage(Msg) and ClientMessage(Msg, 'CriticalEvent'). But in real world (on map Vortex) I able send via first thing more long text, which lead my to wrong conclusion about bigger limit here. In reality this happens because RPC message with this particular text better compressed in first case, rather in second.

I prefer stay at 200 chars in Translator for MonsterHunt

Also I faced limit in 255 chars for static string length in scripts, but it is different story.

Main point is - real limit near 247 chars.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Yep... strings...
I was wondering if this Translator it's not better to open a web page for reading 128.000 chars all night long or even opening "Translate.google.com" in order to gain an exact translation from those unreadable non-englitch stories... MapVoteLA is already capable to open a WebInfo page if it's configured properly, and there chars length restrictions are different...