Translator in MH

Discussions about GameTypes
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Translator in MH

Post by sektor2111 »

About Translator's story, some players (waste time lovers) have as purpose reading messages from TranslatorEvent. Actually based on my logic I really don't need another inventory load. But, I can set a default message form in Hud and spawning a proximity custom trigger at TranslatorEvent location. Message can be shown smaller on top or rendered translucent when player is touching custom trigger. SP stuff ported well to MH uses Normal Triggers and nobody ever suffered any headache.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I already tried to solve this with a trigger, but the message length seems limited (see Diskussion in Unrealwiki also).
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Aside I would like that Wiki Off-Line link to be valid because last time I could see only troubles...
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Personally I love the Translator events and I read every one of them. Once you highlight them using a mod like mine you'll see a ton that you never knew were there. Good map makers tell some good stories using these and you will miss out on a lot by never reading them.

I looked at your mod code and you are trying to do it very differently than I did. Without testing it my guess is that you need to establish replication for "Translator.NewMessage". I never tried this using mutator's postrender, I always attacked it directly in the HUD. Must be something not set up to natively replicate.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

So recalling "comprehensive" info about 451 (patch with fixes and new bugs brought as replacements) now you have an example. You see, I'm already living with idea that v451 doesn't exist :mrgreen: . I will keep reading these topics here collecting info about 451 fixes and I think I'll drop them into a DOC in order to gain full info about 451 craps or maybe I have to be a "Nice" guy hidding the truth and letting people to mess with so called updates. I was suspecting a long time ago that 451 are nothing else than headaches (including 451b). Their fixes are doable now by Higor using an attached engine extension with 0 troubles. ONCE again I'm appreciating his fixes + full availability of PlayerCanSeeMe() which I'm currently using as part of custom Navigation and that thing was crashing insane in v451 "THANKS" UTPG for a trash and keeping UT alive. If all of us would keep UT alive like that, this forum would be erased a long time ago...
So:
- Player Commands removed not fixed;
- String exploits;
- unwrapped NetConnection heading to PlayerCanSeMe() crashes;
- Editor is no longer Editor;
- 0 usage new ban slots, external firewall type tools are superior 2000 times;
- some color bug (I'm not bother to search Ferali's post) which doesn't exist in v436;
- collision crash bug not fixed;
- several classes from Engine.u not fixed - the heart of things.

As for the rest, Higor can explain more - wait I did not checked Linux yet.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote:So recalling "comprehensive" info about 451 [...] now you have an example.
Do you mean the Translator here or the limited length of transmitted text?
sektor2111 wrote:So:
- Player Commands removed not fixed;
- String exploits;
[...]
What can I do to run into one of these issues? (At least to verify them.)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Let me say a few thoughts
Win OS - old style:
- 436 + Win - Not so stable
- 451 + Win - Not an option either
Results: Some admins were simply quitting

Linux (as I know so far):
- 436 - somehow functional but stock has nasty flaws;
- 451 - I know an admin which was asking service for 436 in max 2 days of 451 (I don't know why) but some crashes were pathetic.

For 440 things seems more stable but still need SECURITY.

WebAdmin running ? Well... enjoy... :ironic:

Win+436+XC_Engine = closer to what I was dreaming about (I'm not sure if needs enhancements any more).
Linux I did not test as long as I see things working properly - I gotta admit running mainly custom stuff.

So That actor's EVENT cannot match another actor's EVENT based on v451 - too bad...

I have a bottle of wine right here. If I won't be down (because of hydration) Perhaps I'll put up a Translator replacement - if I won't change my mind toward Levels with 16 Monsters and 5 players and 0 functional paths + Unexistent MonsterEnd because Level was ported using Command "SaveAs" from Editor changing nothing.

I read somewhere in a forum about such an expert which was porting maps to MH. I think I'm not fully interested to fix that mess which that 0skill was doing. I can do the same "SaveAs" from DM, CTF, AS, DOM, ect for future headaches, right ?
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Maybe I should pick up CacusCoop again in both Dev servers and adapt it to latest XC_Engine changes.
After all it's possible to:
- Not lose weapons after death/reconnect.
- Download and play original Unreal 1 maps.
- Play with either UT, Unreal, mix set of weapons (without replacements for Unreal 1)
- Add a FerBotz to help you out? Also path the map in runtime using the path files.

Gotta fix a few issues tho, but I'd totally turn the Dev2 (Linux v436, XC_Engine, Germany based) into a Siege/Coop server.
Need some more Single player map packs... Maybe I should open a thread about said server and start gathering data... and possibly making the 3d translator there?
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I have going on a thousand coop maps running on my Unreal server. If you want to grab everything I'd set you up with an FTP link to just copy the server proper and then you can use what you like. I culled the really shitty maps and all the rest (aside from the monsterhunt single player maps) are load-tested.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Knowing me it's gonna take a while to setup the server... (I like playtesting coop... gonna waste a whole week or more playing the maps at least twice lmao)
But yeah, would like
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Sent it to you. Grab the entire server if you want, you are welcome to anything in there that might help you out. I'm looking forward to playing whatever you come up with.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Gonna bump this from time to time.
In the meantime... making a translator 3d model shouldn't be difficult.
And there's a pretty high detailed translator texture already... it'd end up looking like an ipad lol.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

ipad? Ewww :P lol... I like the original design I guess.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Higor, let me know if you want the coop server and I'll set up a Sync for you to grab it. I had to rebuild my gameserver this week and I don't think I'm going to redo the FTP server. It was getting hammered with hack attempts anyway.

You guys shouldn't let this project die. You've no idea how many of these are scattered all over the maps. Quite a few are hidden in places you can't find without flying and/or ghosting and they can be really funny.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I like the adventures of finding things! No fly/ghost of c! Not even unreal ed peeks.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?