- Posts: 3767
- Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:53 pm
- Personal rank: -Retired-
- Posts: 2478
- Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:01 pm
- Location: moved without proper hashing
- Posts: 1762
- Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:32 am
In wiki talk you say
I think you try check this with string contains repetitive characters. I got similar result if I use single char string.With server version 451 strings longer than 496 chars are not displayed.
But I fail display Critical Event message (on map Vortex from Legless Krall) with near 276 chars.
So I make additional tests (with random characters in string) and find next very important things:
1. Message send to client compressed. So you can not think about 496 bytes.
2. Max RPC bunch size is 512 bytes. Possible UDP datagram size.
3. Really limit depends from string content. I get 247-248 chars for complete random strings which can hardly be compressed. So it is real limit.
4. For really random string no difference between ClientMessage(Msg) and ClientMessage(Msg, 'CriticalEvent'). But in real world (on map Vortex) I able send via first thing more long text, which lead my to wrong conclusion about bigger limit here. In reality this happens because RPC message with this particular text better compressed in first case, rather in second.
I prefer stay at 200 chars in Translator for MonsterHunt
Also I faced limit in 255 chars for static string length in scripts, but it is different story.
Main point is - real limit near 247 chars.
- Posts: 6028
- Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
- Location: On the roof.
I was wondering if this Translator it's not better to open a web page for reading 128.000 chars all night long or even opening "Translate.google.com" in order to gain an exact translation from those unreadable non-englitch stories... MapVoteLA is already capable to open a WebInfo page if it's configured properly, and there chars length restrictions are different...