Bug with MonsterMaddness

Discussions about GameTypes
Emperor
Average
Personal rank: Rtma Eros Paragon

Bug with MonsterMaddness

Post by Emperor »

Well, I'm not sure where else to place this but, this file is altered, my old ex-friend (Done years ago) was able to fix Bot scoring (Not sure if it's this or TallyHo) and scale Monsters damage to Bot skill difficulty, but the only thing that is stagnating the game type for me so far is, Player/Bots Damage scaling doesn't affect the monsters(Strength Relic/Udamage doesn't increase the damage towards monsters, it's always treated as 1x), all I ask if anyone with programming skills able to fix this Please? I only use this with a few friends, Lan, Offline purposes, if that is relevant.
Attachments
MonsterMadness.u
(520.21 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Last edited by Emperor on Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: A Bug with MonsterMaddness

Post by EvilGrins »

I've never run into that, with any version of MM I've had... and I kinda used to know the guy that wrote it; he was very receptive to input.

Are you sure the alterations your friend made didn't cause this issue you're having?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Emperor
Average

Post by Emperor »

EvilGrins wrote:I've never run into that, with any version of MM I've had... and I kinda used to know the guy that wrote it; he was very receptive to input.

Are you sure the alterations your friend made didn't cause this issue you're having?
It might have, I don't know, this was all back years ago when we were in high school, I didn't know I just played the game, I didn't have any concept of Bug testing back then.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Found this on a quick view: :lol:

Code: Select all

if ( Bugs != None )
		Bugs.Destroy();
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Emperor
Average

Post by Emperor »

Barbie wrote:Found this on a quick view: :lol:

Code: Select all

if ( Bugs != None )
		Bugs.Destroy();
Can I get some feedback on this that isn't Sarcasm please?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Get your hands on the original, un-edited, MonsterMadness and try that. Compare results to the current one, see if the one your friend altered has the issue you've having or if both do.
Emperor
Average

Post by Emperor »

Yep, just tested v304 Unaltered, Damage scaling isn't affecting monsters, wither it be mutators or the game type itself not sure, I prefer the Altered one since, like the damage scaling of monster via skill for more difficulty and Skaarj troopers starting with weapons, but player/bot damage scaling doesn't reflect that against monsters. :/ Still treats it as 1x regardless of your your scaling.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Perhaps you could try it with MrLoathsomes Random Monster Sizer. You can override the health settings in it.
http://www.ecoop.tk/load/random_monster ... 0/1-1-0-33
Emperor
Average

Post by Emperor »

Oh the health scaling works on Monstermadness/Us Against Them.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Okay, because people seems not very interested to do some research in this mod, let me share my experience.

I was running a default MH server several years ago. In the 4th column just to make something different I have added MonsterMadness (I don't even recall game setup right now).

Evolution:
After playing a few MH maps some player was voting MonsterMadness, then return to MH. Return... was a problem, I did not see player's ping anymore in scoreboard and a couple of minutes later server was crashing properly (for accelerating my sadeness). Then I simply quit that thing as long as it's bugged and I canot be sure if anyone is interested to fix it. Or maybe I'm wrong and it's improved. I believe is inflicting some transient content which is not removed at server-travel causing problems. If you play off-line it might be fun. If you play ON-Line pehaps you go to deceptions. So to speak MonsterMadness doesn't include any bug, MonsterMadness is The BUG.

Next used is MonsterSpawn - at a moment server is simply quitting. Those monsters make possible to pop a return address which means end of program because of some bad RETURN used in UScript since it wouldn't be harmful wrapping "if (something != None )" rather than "if (something == None ) return;"
My controller doesn't even show when such a creature is killed by a Lava, Acid, or by other zone because default functions are not called properly.

I did not use "Return" intensive in my pawns/games and I did not see sudden exits. That's why in my opinion these mods are for less usage and the best way is doing your own stuff.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote:Okay, because people seems not very interested to do some research in this mod
I've been using MM since it came out, from the original version... back when the monsters fought each other:
While I don't know much of anything on coding, I used to bop emails back and forth with its developer; he was receptive to my monster reviews.

It's really best for Deathmatch games, not MH. Anytime a monster kills an MM-monster, unlike when a player or bot does it, they don't respawn.

I use MonsterSpawn too, but only when playing LMS. Because when players are low on lives and hiding, monsters coming into the game that can kill them but not take away their remaining number of lives keeps things interesting.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote: It's really best for Deathmatch games,
Then go host your own server and enjoy it. This thread has been started not because it works flawless.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Dr.Flay wrote:Perhaps you could try it with MrLoathsomes Random Monster Sizer. You can override the health settings in it.
http://www.ecoop.tk/load/random_monster ... 0/1-1-0-33
And if you use either my Dropper mutator or the SwarmSpawner, you can also override the health settings, drawscale and other things.
(MonsterSpawn is great, but it does have a few issues and limitations...)

If you run the latest BadNews4, monsters will be much more inclined to fight each other and be more aggressive all around.
(You can disable the extra spawns with V4, so it only adjusts the behavior of monsters already in the map....)

If you use any of my gametypes that are optimized for monsters, many issues will go away.
Ditto for using my UT2U1 mutator, which will make most problems that show up when running U1 stuff on UT go away
as well as speeding things up a bit.

All of the above can be used separately, together and with almost anything else as far as I know.
Full source is included with all, if that will be of any use for you.

I mention this not to plug all my crap, which I don't care if anybody uses or not, but because this thread has got a bit sidetracked.

The issues that need fixed with MonsterMadness are unrelated to anything a real scriptedpawn (Monster) does.
If I remember right, problems were numerous with just getting all the meshes working with the players as well as
many issues with the gametype code. (Been a while since I looked at it...)

I still laugh everytime I see the thread title. "A" Bug with MonsterMadness. Like there is only 1. :loool:
blarg
Emperor
Average

Post by Emperor »

MrLoathsome wrote:I still laugh everytime I see the thread title. "A" Bug with MonsterMadness. Like there is only 1. :loool:
I'm not aware there is more then one bug, I've only encountered the damage not making a difference Bug when using Relics (Strength in this case) And Damage Amp from what I played, understanding?
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Bug with MonsterMaddness

Post by sektor2111 »

Emperor wrote: I've only encountered the damage not making a difference Bug when using Relics (Strength in this case) And Damage Amp from what I played, understanding?
This proves once again that a pickup is not done for a Monster, is the first bad thing which should be fixed as primary priority in this game or whatever mutator is, the rest are "side effects" of an unfinished work.

DamageAmp - for sure this stuff is for a Pawn with a weapon - surprise me with a Brute from MMadness armed with a Minigun, LOL - and here we go in troubles. Troopers have special weaponry deal which others doesn't have but not even implemented. I won't check how looks console while you run such "featured stuff".

I might burn by curiosity to see a Slith translocating :mrgreen:.