"The Counter" Gametype for UT99

Discussions about GameTypes
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

"The Counter" Gametype for UT99

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Based on my latest forum minigame, I decided to do a simple gametype for UT. Not that it is working, I need someone to test it, please!

It is simple: Team Red tries to increase the counter, while Blue tries to decrease it, in special locations known as Counter Changers.

There are up to 16 ones.

This has no bot support yet (unfortunately), and I don't know how would I make that...

This is my first gametype I ever done. :) I hope it works, because I put a large effort into it...

This thread is also for discussion about it.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: "The Counter" Gametype for UT99

Post by EvilGrins »

Suggestion: If you're doing a new gametype then I suspect that, as most of them do, it makes some subtle alteration to the HUD. Like in CTF where there's flags on the side of the screen representing each team.

Since I, and possibly others, aren't sure what you mean by "counters" a screenshot from your gametype's HUD might give a better idea what you're talking about.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

That sounds a whole lot like Domination........
blarg
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Well I am looking for playtesters able to try it out, and umm, for coders to make this out of Beta.

And no it is no Pre-Alpha. It has already all features I wish :) For the counter changers to be visible, brushwork is needed, which is more reliable than models however (since we want not a cylinder collision) If you want I can make a prefab so you don't need to make brushwork from scratch! :)

Finally, I don't know how to change HUD or such stuff... :(
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
FXANBSS
Skilled

Post by FXANBSS »

Look at the CTF code, maybe you can find something there and then trial and error until you get something.

All the times i had copy/paste code, i never had a error because i am a professional at copy/pasting. :P (That's because i just copy some simple code and modify it a bit, i can read the code but can't make!)
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

FXANBSS wrote:Look at the CTF code, maybe you can find something there and then trial and error until you get something.

All the times i had copy/paste code, i never had a error because i am a professional at copy/pasting. :P (That's because i just copy some simple code and modify it a bit, i can read the code but can't make!)
Uh, I found no HUD code in CTFGame's code. Maybe papercoffee knows? He made Burger CTF and it's gotten a pretty nice HUD. ;)

Weapon of Destruction
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Have you played the default UT Domination gametype at all?

What you describe so far sounds exactly like that, except with a minor change to how the score is tracked.
I assume the game ends when Red gets the score to zero or Blue gets the score to 100? With a starting score of 50?
How do you write that so it will support 3 or 4 teams? And why? It is almost the same as Domination. :omfg:

If what you have so far has no bot support, and invisible "counter changers" with collision issues that need "brushwork", :???: :wtf: , then
it is still "Pre-Alpha" I would think.... :noidea

And, other than that minor twist on the scoring system, it is just Domination. And Domination has been re-written and hopefully improved already.

This version supports bots and monsters, and will run on CTF and DM maps as well as DOM maps, and supports up to 64 control points.
http://www.ecoop.tk/load/megadomination ... m/1-1-0-54
(All the monster team stuff is optional. Should have made that clearer in the documentation. It can be configured to work with players/bots or just players or about any way
you can think of.)
and umm, for coders to make this out of Beta. :? Finally, I don't know how to change HUD or such stuff... :(
:what:

Other than making a new texture/model for the invisible, colliding "counter changers" , 99.8% of what you need to make a new gametype
is coding.

I have said this before to others, you should really slow down and maybe do a simple mutator, or 1 weapon, or something for starters.

Not to discourage you, but a new gametype is just the wrong place to start.
blarg
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

MrLoathsome wrote:I have said this before to others, you should really slow down and maybe do a simple mutator, or 1 weapon, or something for starters.
I modelled a Methane Cannon. The problem now is that I can't export the animation to UnrealEd2 (or I don't know how)...

Weapon of Destruction
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

So you have done pretty much nothing of what he said.

You modelled something, that's good, but you couldn't even import it. And once it's imported, most of your work remains to be done: coding. So basically you have not made a weapon, you should try to complete this instead of starting something else, completly different and much more complex.
You must construct additional pylons.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Bumpy :tongue:
Which thread is official for "The Counter" ? This one or... this?
Do this un-finished and un-started work still needs 2 threads ?

Aside admin suggestion:
You can wipe both these useless threads as long as I think I have the confirmation that None coder is currently doing anything here.

2 Threads for the same purpose aren't accepted ? So what ? Nobody does nothing anyway...
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

sektor2111 wrote:Bumpy :tongue:
Which thread is official for "The Counter" ? This one or... this?
Do this un-finished and un-started work still needs 2 threads ?

Aside admin suggestion:
You can wipe both these useless threads as long as I think I have the confirmation that None coder is currently doing anything here.

2 Threads for the same purpose aren't accepted ? So what ? Nobody does nothing anyway...
The other is actually a forum minigame based on a KSP Forums minigame.

Weapon of Destruction