Monster Takeover (aka Monster Assault)

Discussions about GameTypes
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Monster Takeover (aka Monster Assault)

Post by Gustavo6046 »

This is just another gametype idea of mine.

This gametype would be a Monster Hunt variation that is to run in Assault maps. Basically it would spawn monsters in random pathnodes all around the level, and you had to conclude the level normally. Only that you and all the bots are amongst the attackers/defenders and the monsters in the other team.

When your team is defending, the monsters spawn in the attacking team base.

Among the bots and players, they can be subdivided into teams that will try to conclude the objectives before the other teams. The team that conclude the most objectives first wins. (Or all of the teams loses if the monsters sucesfully attack/defend.)

There are also rounds, like in Rocket Arena. Basically each round is like a Assault match in this gametype, and the number of rounds in a actual match is configurable.

Monsters loses if the total of points done by all human teams is bigger than the monster's scoring -- and that's why the monster's difficulty is balanced -- and, in this case, the human team that got most points win a point.

The team -- human or monster -- that got the most points in the end of the Match wins.

Since this is an complex concept, this is for some time just a idea. When I have time I may code a MT_Pawn to take over these places, but only that; I'm not very good at making gametypes (if you noticed when I made the Counter Game).
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Monster Takeover (aka Monster Assault)

Post by sektor2111 »

Doable in a current MonsterHunt game by adding a tiny actor in MyLevel to launch Karma around monsters. However it needs Paths else nobody will attack anything. And Paths might look as Rocket Science for a lot of people even it's easier and faster than drawing cubes.
I was ignited already idea for MH even tagging maps with an MH_MAS_ or MH_AS_ or such but nobody seems interested in defending action, all running in maps like with hair burning to reach at stupid Green Cube.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Hey sektor, I love pathing! The rocket science for me is to do these sky nodes for a Flying mutator or for a SLV.

Back to the topic.

The reason wasn't to turn Monster Hunt into Assault-esque game, but make any Assault (AS) map playable with monsters.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Gustavo6046 wrote:but make any Assault (AS) map playable with monsters
Good Night then... I'm not interested in wasting time with errors caused by AssaultRandomizer crap which won't work well out of Assault game-type... unless you wanna child class of this game.
Then is more simple to use an already done thing rather that working at new ones.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

If no one's gonna help, then this idea's gonna nowhere! I am not going to do it alone, and if at least 4 more people refuse to help, then consider this thread LOCKED!

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Gustavo6046 wrote:If no one's gonna help, then this idea's gonna nowhere! I am not going to do it alone, and if at least 4 more people refuse to help, then consider this thread LOCKED!
You have too many roadworks ...concentrate on one project at the time. Finish your map first, make it playable and good and then you can think on another project.

You won't do yourself any delight if you have too many open projects. And you won't get any help if you don't show the people that you can finish stuff.

Ideas are meaningless if you can't back them up.

This is my last post towards you, till you comprehend what I try to tell you.
Calm down and take it down a notch.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Came back for more: My main worry is you were gonna try a new gametype with an MA- map extension, which would clash with the existing MonsterArena gametype. It's usually good if you're gonna try something new to come up with a new map extension, but I've already found existing (post for another time) MA-maps that are clearly not for MonsterArena.
Gustavo6046 wrote:If no one's gonna help, then this idea's gonna nowhere! I am not going to do it alone, and if at least 4 more people refuse to help, then consider this thread LOCKED!
You give up WAY too easily... and there's no cause to just collapse on an idea just because someone else doesn't like it.
Gustavo6046 wrote:but make any Assault (AS) map playable with monsters.
There are already existing AS-maps with monsters on them, so it's a doable idea in the most basic sense. I'll drum you up a list Sunday.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758