UTR - The first Review

Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Re: UTR - The first Review

Post by Sergeant Todd »

Creavion wrote:Older machines (single cores) can handle ut1/uengine 1 maps mostly better. At least it seems so from what I have heared.
I run a dual-core Athlon and it runs most maps great.

Just downloaded the patch and played ArcticDecay and Compressed3 and Morbias4. Flow was outstanding in all three maps and eye candy..jeez....you know back in the day these maps woulda been on Cliffy's Ownage page. I'm seriously impressed! :tu:
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

At least one gamer likes it already, nice to hear. :tongue:
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
SkaarjMaster
Novice

Post by SkaarjMaster »

OK, I already posted in another thread about no xloc (translocator), but maybe that can be fixed or maybe it was intended to be excluded. It doesn't even come up when I switch to it like I do in all my other custom maps; nothing happens at all. It should at least be there for the CTF maps though.:) What follows is a few brief comments on each map except the SP ones (I'm playing all SP stuff from Unreal/UT/etc. at some later date):

CTF-UTR-Attempt >> crazy and small map but not bad.
CTF-UTR-Dargrok >> tough map and the bots are good; I think this was my fav. CTF map of the bunch.
CTF-UTR-Otherworld >> sort of a FacingWorlds clone but with obstacles to deal with that really should not be there; bots just plain suck in this one.
CTF-UTR-Rawash >> nice and small; good for small CTF servers.
DM-UTR-Abicio][ >> small outdoor map that is just OK.
DM-UTR-ArcticDecay >> too dark and the layout blows.
DM-UTR-Compressed >> classic and just like the original.......but it's for UT now!
DM-UTR-Epitaph][ >> not bad but I still say the bots cheat; what controls respawning of the redeemer, it seems like it takes forever at times; I've seen this map before.;)
DM-UTR-Kamah >> can't see with all that jungle.
DM-UTR-Morbias4 >> sure it's sort of a Morbias clone, but it was still fun; somehow I won against Loque.
DM-UTR-Nadaus >> good 1on1 definitely controlled by the powerup and second best map in the pack.
DM-UTR-Ravage >> best one in the pack with the classic UT ramps action; had the most fun in this one.
DM-UTR-Ryigiar-III >> I still say the bots cheat.
DM-UTR-Sacrimossa >> crazy wide-open Egyptian map that's almost an arena-type but too big for that; I like going through the teleporter for the good view of the area.

Well, that was it. If you're coming out with one more pack patch, then I would just make it the last one and move on. Decent pack of maps that would be an excellent addition to any custom UT map collection! Although, I just realized playing these maps screws up my weapons priority list which should be a lot longer to begin with but Epic made a huge fail with this aspect of UT.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

SkaarjMaster wrote: CTF-UTR-Dargrok >> tough map and the bots are good; I think this was my fav. CTF map of the bunch.
I'm very surprised and at a time glad you liked my map! :o Almost everyone else wasn't satisfid with this map... Thank you for your short "review", even a small one can help a lot ;)

P.S.: Don't forget to write something about my SP maps when you will have played them in the hopefully near furture :tongue:
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Sergeant Todd
Adept

Post by Sergeant Todd »

editor Dave wrote:
SkaarjMaster wrote: CTF-UTR-Dargrok >> tough map and the bots are good; I think this was my fav. CTF map of the bunch.
I'm very surprised and at a time glad you liked my map! :o Almost everyone else wasn't satisfid with this map...
Not true, editor Dave....we've been playing it alot and like it.
all of us....so...make some more!! :D
Sergeant Todd
---------------

Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

You should not hold your breath for a sequel of UTR, there is not enough request: Both on the mappers and on the gamers side.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Sergeant Todd
Adept

Post by Sergeant Todd »

Creavion wrote:You should not hold your breath for a sequel of UTR, there is not enough request: Both on the mappers and on the gamers side.
Most of the time sequels can't compare with the original. A community mappack is a real team effort under time pressure and you mappers and the other contributers deserve kudos for it.

Speaking for the gamers, just don't quit mapping for UT99 anytime soon, OK? :D
Sergeant Todd
---------------

Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Sergeant Todd wrote: Speaking for the gamers, just don't quit mapping for UT99 anytime soon, OK? :D
A drop in the bucket
About to be non-active
Zarius
Personal rank: Adept

Post by Zarius »

Great things thx a lot guys
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

I have a 10 year old comp...
Pentium III - 852 mhz - 128 MB ram. 133 mhz bus

And I could play all these maps - some a bit laggy but that ironed out after playing for a while tehy got smoother. :tu:
The only gripe?
Maps are pretty good - but not worth their file size at all. :|
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Hook wrote:I have a 10 year old comp...
Pentium III - 852 mhz - 128 MB ram. 133 mhz bus

And I could play all these maps - some a bit laggy but that ironed out after playing for a while tehy got smoother. :tu:
The only gripe?
Maps are pretty good - but not worth their file size at all. :|
lol, sorry, you will not be able to play Kamah on THAT thing, I am sorry :lol2:

The egypt ctf, DM Ravage and maybe DM Ryrigar, I think this should work, maybe also with some problems the sp map, but the rest can be forgotten.

@filesize: Well, converted music > umx, big files (since those umx files are there uncompressed waves.. more or less
and the engine has no texture compression. PCX/256 colour textures are limited in their colours (surprise) and are even bigger than dds textures e.g.
It can not be helped. Accept it or not. At least I will not let me limit through filesize or something like that. The engine has enough limits.
About to be non-active
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Hook wrote: Maps are pretty good - but not worth their file size at all. :|
You can't expect quality within a file of 100kb... nuff said (although they could have been at least 20% lower, if the pack wasn't MyLeveled that much, many textures could be reused between some maps).
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Feralidragon wrote:many textures could be reused between some maps).
I have! Only because the textures in KamahT were grouped into the mapnames it does not mean they are used only there... many textures were used in more than one map. You can check that, if you want. :tongue:
About to be non-active
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Creavion wrote:
Feralidragon wrote:many textures could be reused between some maps).
I have! Only because the textures in KamahT were grouped into the mapnames it does not mean they are used only there... many textures were used in more than one map. You can check that, if you want. :tongue:
But from what I saw, some textures that look pretty much alike between some maps could be discarded or reused, and I don't mean only in your maps, I mean in the whole pack (since I saw textures that didn't need either to be repeated or even used), but that's just my opinion :)
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

Feralidragon wrote: You can't expect quality within a file of 100kb... nuff said (although they could have been at least 20% lower, if the pack wasn't MyLeveled that much, many textures could be reused between some maps).
Ferali (and the rest of you guys), you all know me. Some of you have root access to my servers and others have assorted access to my forums. There are many people that could seriously harm me in very short order.

Why do I say that? Because I'm going to post a download. It looks just like a virus, but it is not. It's a simple answer to your previous quote, and I think you will be amazed. Now, please, trust me. Download this and simply run it. If it harms you in any way, shape, or form you may take unbridled revenge on me, but I think once you see it, you'll understand. Oh, and turn on your sound too.

http://gopostals.com/GP/gopo.exe

Bear in mind this is 64kb in size. I'll bet this paragraph takes up more memory than that. After you look at it, I'll post some on the history of it.