UTR - The first Review

Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: UTR - The first Review

Post by Creavion »

dynaphase wrote:uhmmm almost to forgot, Feralidragon, and all others THANK YOU A LOT for those new things, pickups, flagbases n so on!

Going to build one map with those thingies asap :p

br
Dyna
Nice, but better wait for the patched xpickups version in the upcoming bonus/patchpack. Of course you can use this stuff already but you can include later better the patched version.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Rob_Master Builder
Adept
Personal rank: Level Designer :-)

Post by Rob_Master Builder »

Thanks for taking the time to review the map pack Revelation.

I'd say you were pretty much spot on with the comments on my map apart from I've never mapped for CS etc but this map started out as something completely different which I then tried to turn Into a multiplayer map which you picked up on. Yes the brush work Is a crime, no arguments on that one.....
An of all the things you liked It was the lighting, which I'm really surprissed as I changed this map from night to day, then evening, then back and even had a basic day and night cycle running as I just wasent happy with It.

Thanks for the review.
rohitggarg
Adept
Personal rank: The name is Bu||et

Post by rohitggarg »

I got it downloaded. The maps are cool @ play.

I really liked the designs of the Kamah one but the map was kinda unplayable. :( .... Tried it wid bots, if I lower there number I am able to find none, and if I increase, my machine can't handle them... provided the machine is a dual core intel.

Need ta play the rest as well. After seeing the comments about Nadus, i m thinking of laying that one first.

I also like multicoloured maps a lot... so 3 cheers to the CTF and SP map creators!!!

All in all, thanks a lot all for sm really gr8 effort.
Regards,
Rohit

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.............

My website : http://www.appointmentagent.com
zacman
Adept
Personal rank: M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Post by zacman »

rohitggarg wrote:I got it downloaded. The maps are cool @ play.

I really liked the designs of the Kamah one but the map was kinda unplayable. :( .... Tried it wid bots, if I lower there number I am able to find none, and if I increase, my machine can't handle them... provided the machine is a dual core intel.

Need ta play the rest as well. After seeing the comments about Nadus, i m thinking of laying that one first.

I also like multicoloured maps a lot... so 3 cheers to the CTF and SP map creators!!!

All in all, thanks a lot all for sm really gr8 effort.
Something must be up there... My PC is a laptop running Pentium M with 1278 MB of DDR1 RAM, with a 37GB HD, and it can handle 50 bots (LOVE addbots :P) But 50 bots is a bit much, as they all telefrag :P
Sorry... I go off on tangents... Point is, Dual Core>M, so you should be going great... Maybe more RAM is needed?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198048595886]Image[/url]
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Older machines (single cores) can handle ut1/uengine 1 maps mostly better. At least it seems so from what I have heared.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Creavion wrote:Older machines (single cores) can handle ut1/uengine 1 maps mostly better. At least it seems so from what I have heared.
Yes, a Pentium 4 with HyperThreading is much faster running this game than a Pentium D. Simple reason: UT only uses 1 core, not both, so generally a Pentium 4 HT is faster than a Pentium D single core. Besides, you have lots of other factors for speed: MB (front side bus max speed, and also the bridges), RAM (amount and also speed), HD free space (due to virtual memory) and the OS and installed programs running on background. There are also other factors, but they aren't that relevant in UT1 case, like GPU for example. The only difference you have with newer GCards is particles better support (no close range vertex particles lag in my case), higher resolutions (not only display, but support for S3TC textures), and some new native mods start to make use of GPU also.
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

After reading this whole thread, I'm wondering why everyone says Karmah is unplayable?!?! My laptop is dog turd, seriously, and I have no problem... Unless... AAAH! it must be a mutant (J.K.) Maybe change your renderer to the stock D3D? That's what I played it on, haven't played it since I upgraded to D3D8... M more of an SP Player myself...
rohitggarg
Adept

Post by rohitggarg »

It is just a little bit faster but at some places i get frame rates of lower than 10 which is really annoying....
Regards,
Rohit

Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Hey this with Kamah has to be true, it does not even run on my pc without problems in same areas! :tongue:

I feel anywise sorry for all gamers who really wanted to play that map. My newer maps does not run that bad anymore. So regarding polygons and so, I pushed a little bit the brake.
About to be non-active
rohitggarg
Adept

Post by rohitggarg »

I read about some things about those high poly counts (i think i am just reiterating what you might already know :P)... If you place zones in your map which i couldn't see in the editor and also place solid brushes in right places for example those mountains in CTF-LavaGiant and the low poly structure in the middle of bases in CTF-Dreary, i think it could have been playable....
Regards,
Rohit

Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

rohitggarg wrote:I read about some things about those high poly counts (i think i am just reiterating what you might already know :P)... If you place zones in your map which i couldn't see in the editor and also place solid brushes in right places for example those mountains in CTF-LavaGiant and the low poly structure in the middle of bases in CTF-Dreary, i think it could have been playable....
Well, yes, but the problem in Kamah is that it has big terrain amounts everywhere, and the only good zoning he could do (and I think he did) is inside the buildings, while outside he could only make tall pieces of terrain and pray that everything runs the best, while zoning that area could screw even more the performance of the map, imho (remember that huge zone portals and such can screw even more a performance of a map than improving it, that's why almost no one makes cloud zones in this type of map).
rohitggarg
Adept

Post by rohitggarg »

Feralidragon wrote:huge zone portals and such can screw even more a performance
Oh didn't knew that!! thanks for the info Ferali..
Regards,
Rohit

Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

Some big terrain maps seem to run at high framerates and pretty smoothly, without all of Kamah's detail of course. I guess it's a tradeoff. :)
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

I remember now! I know why it runs so well on my system!

http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/
These guys make a program that speeds up your computer, and I constantly have it running! THAT's probably why I never have performance issues :loool:
rohitggarg
Adept

Post by rohitggarg »

Hehe...

It takes a little bit of memory for itself :P
But i have a real huge stock of memory lying freely on my PC while i play this game. Its the graphics settings which killed the framerate... Making everything look ugly had the framerate issue solved :D.... But then the beauty of the map had to be sacrificed which i am not at all happy with :tongue: .
Regards,
Rohit