Interpolating object causing lag big time. Why?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
TexasGtar
Adept

Interpolating object causing lag big time. Why?

Post by TexasGtar »

Hey everyone. I added an interpolating object in my monster hunt map and it had 8 interpolating paths. For some reason as soon as you opened the door to that zone the whole map started to lag so bad it was unplayable.

Seems like I have used these before in a skybox, but is there some reason these would do that when placed in the actual playable map itself? It was like super slow motion which would be cool for making videos I guess
but not too cool for playing. The only way to keep it from lagging was to look at my feet where I could only see 1 poly. To me it was weird and I thought maybe someone here might have some insight to these and why they would cause such a dramatic drop in performance. I tried d3d and open gl and it was bad in both.

Also once that door to the zone holding the interpolating object was opened, the whole map lagged, even the 3 beginning part zones that were fine before opening the door to the zone holding the interpolating object.
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Interpolating object causing lag big time. Why?

Post by sektor2111 »

Look for interpolating ON-Line...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

The only thing I could think is just use a mover as the object. Or after the door make it a video, like a CRT screen but not in the playing area. :noidea
Binary Space Partitioning
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

A test map would be fine.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

@ Barbie
Are you asking me to make a map demonstrating the phenomenon?
I guess I can try to duplicate it. Map is 58 MB's so a small file size version would be the only way to go.
Just copy the one room and add player start and see if it does the same thing?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To all:
I'll just remove it. It didn't look as awesome as I thought so I can live without it. It was just strange and I was wondering what happened. Lucky I figured out what was causing it.
Once I removed it, map played fine again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

TexasGtar wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:32 pm Lucky I figured out what was causing it.
Could you share what you figured out?

It's good to share that kind of info in case someone else stumbles into the same problem and finds this thread.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Feralidragon wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:38 pm
TexasGtar wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:32 pm Lucky I figured out what was causing it.
Could you share what you figured out?

It's good to share that kind of info in case someone else stumbles into the same problem and finds this thread.
I only "figured out" that the interpolating object was causing it(the lag). Once I removed it and the orbit paths, the map ran fine.

Still don't know why. I have a saved copy of it in case I want to revisit it.
But I am forging on... way past it now,,, and the place I had it I now have a sky box. So it is a mute point for my map.

I agree that is is good to share info , I just don't have time to spend on the why it was happening. So it is still an unsolved mystery.
If I do discover anything I will chime in.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

" spend on the why it was happening. "

posted to a forum of people who want to know. :)
Binary Space Partitioning
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Red_Fist wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:35 am " spend on the why it was happening. "

posted to a forum of people who want to know. :)

You want the map?

I posted the question hoping someone knew more about the interpolating object than me and could give insight.
Since that didn't happen I went another route, but if you want to look at it I can send it to you. It's 58 mb's.