Weird mapping error

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Weird mapping error

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Okay this is bordering the fringe paranormal ultra super pseudo science...something

I discvered a very very strange bug with Bird1. Place one on a map. Then set its drawscale to 15.0
Do that, then set its CollisionRadius to 900 and CollisionHeight to 600

Save the map and run it. Or attempt to. If it will load, all drawing is off, even though you can hear the sounds around just fine, if the drawing will get updated it will be choppy as hell. Just what in the hell is going on?! I discvered this by accident I couldn't find out what was causing it, but Its bloody Bird1 with those things being set...
Higor
Godlike

Re: Weird mapping error

Post by Higor »

If you're changing the DrawScale, you should not modify collision or health

Code: Select all

if ( DrawScale != Default.Drawscale )
	{
		SetCollisionSize(CollisionRadius*DrawScale/Default.DrawScale, CollisionHeight*DrawScale/Default.DrawScale);
		Health = Health * DrawScale/Default.DrawScale;
	}
Your bird is actually way bigger than you thing, and that's lagging the whole game.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

It is not my bird, I found this out while converting a certain map which had those values set and so I figured it out and reproduced this error. Still it shouldn't cause a hang up like this.

And I know about that code, yet sometimes it can be bad because the mapper might want custom values or keep the default for whatever reason there should have been a variable like "auto adjust collision" or so.

The problem is fixed by unsetting the bird's collision size back to its default values. That is not the point. I'm just surprised this error exists and even when this big bulk bird has a space to move around...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Actually you want to turn off, the automatic way.

It might be you are existing in the (inside) the bird when you spawn, would mean you are also inside the collision.

And it might have to do with flying, and if it's those birds Deco ?, they follow some path that might be massing with it. like,, larger collision vs existing programing of, how Deco bird fly,,

You can set the fly radius on those things and probably interfering with the new collision value. :noidea

I juat made a 8096 map cube, and it does do what you say. So I lowered the radius by half, 450,300, when I played there was something blocking me about 1/4 of the map or less.
So at a collision of 450, it took up more , it was in the far corner. Then I tried the stock radius and worked as usual.

So that collision is being amplified by alot !
Binary Space Partitioning
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Yea that's just bullshit lol, it shouldn't do that either way. But thanks redfist, that provides some needed insight.