Mario mapping + force texture on player model?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Mario mapping + force texture on player model?

Post by Metalfist »

1st: I am making a mario themed map, so does anyone have/know some more good Mario stuff like the Yoshi model? (A bowser/enemy model would be cool, but I couldn't find it)

2nd: I want the players to be a yoshi (+ idk if it would work online), but the skins dont automaticly take the yoshi skin, so you have a yoshi model, but with a malecommando texture on it. Is there a way to force using the yoshi texture? and how do you make an unkillable pawn?

idea's are welcome too ofc
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: Mario mapping + force texture on player model?

Post by Creavion »

About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Metalfist
Masterful

Post by Metalfist »

oh sorry should have mentioned I already ripped textures. I'm more looking for the extra's like enemies (models) and maybe things you can pick up. And I'm going more for the SNES look.
Last edited by Metalfist on Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

You know... these old games have no models but rather SPRITES? :ironic:
http://spriters-resource.com/
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Metalfist
Masterful

Post by Metalfist »

yeah i know but models r nicer in UT, but if there aren't any I will try to use sprites, but I'm having some problems with making the back of the textures masked (the sprites), sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt -.-
also when i select the color to replace (in the color table in Photoshop) is at the end or front it didn't work...
Edit: fixed used bmp
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Metalfist wrote: 2nd: I want the players to be a yoshi (+ idk if it would work online), but the skins dont automaticly take the yoshi skin, so you have a yoshi model, but with a malecommando texture on it. Is there a way to force using the yoshi texture?
Wait, that's way too confusing. So what exactly do you want, a Yoshi "model" with MaleCommando "skin", or the other way around?
Either ways, I never did that, but I guess it's possible with custom coding (for online play as well).
Metalfist wrote:and how do you make an unkillable pawn?
From the mapper point of view the max you can do is making the health big enough to take all the damage without being killed for a long time (long enough for the match to finish and the pawn still be alive).
Other than that, only through custom coding (subclassing the said pawn and overriding damage function to avoid damage at all).
Metalfist
Masterful

Post by Metalfist »

From the mapper point of view the max you can do is making the health big enough to take all the damage without being killed for a long time (long enough for the match to finish and the pawn still be alive).
thx ferali, I was wondering about that a long time.

It would be cool if all the players are yoshi's in online play.
So yoshi's with yoshi's skins,
but does the skin/model need to be in the serverpackages= line then?
and I think that the skin you had before the map won't be reset back, so you have to change your skin back when you're changing to another map.
Eh it sounds difficult and it would need coding then... :/
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:Take a look here http://www.fileplanet.com/218730/210000 ... timate-Map there is stuf in this map
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

About the invincible pawn, I noticed these properties while looking at the Pawn class for something else:

Code: Select all

var() name  ReducedDamageType; //Either a damagetype name or 'All', 'AllEnvironment' (Burned, Corroded, Frozen)
var() float ReducedDamagePct;
Basically, try to set the pawn ReducedDamageType to 'All' and ReducedDamagePct to 1 (it goes from 0 to 1), and you should have an invincible pawn, however he can still be telefragged (for that only custom coding would avoid that).

About the players model/skin switching, if it's included in the map, no ServerPackages are needed. ServerPackages are only needed at all if the server doesn't send the package "naturally" (this only happens with stuff spawned dynamically by package, like in mutators, custom skins the server supports for all the maps, etc), and in maps the resources are always sent because the map "needs" them to load up.

I think the coding itself is not difficult (personally I think that an actor that you included in the map, that would add a mutator to the game in runtime only for that map, that would handle the skin/model switching would work just fine, since mutators have built-in functionality to "modify" the player every time the player respawns). Anyone with minimal mapping and mutator coding knowledge can do this I think, you could ask around if someone could do this for you.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I'm a little confused. Do you mean all Mario skins/models or just Yoshi?

Yoshi doesn't need to be mapped onto another player. There's already a fully usable Yoshi model available. Came out years ago.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Metalfist
Masterful

Post by Metalfist »

I already posted an image of that Yoshi model -.-', I'm looking if there is more interresting mario stuff (not textures).

and the other thing has to be coded and I'm getting help with that.