Big area - hardware issues

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Big area - hardware issues

Post by Feralidragon »

As some of you might know, when you you make a very big area (like subtracting a 40.960x40.960x40.960 cube), some hardware show that with no problems at all, and other hardware show it with large HOMs.

My question is: is there the possibility or any render setting to solve this in that problematic hardware?

I would really apreciate that someone has the "cure", because I am about to build an entire new gametype (sort of) and it DEMANDS large open areas.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: Big area - hardware issues

Post by Creavion »

Feralidragon wrote:As some of you might know, when you you make a very big area (like subtracting a 40.960x40.960x40.960 cube), some hardware show that with no problems at all, and other hardware show it with large HOMs.

My question is: is there the possibility or any render setting to solve this in that problematic hardware?

I would really apreciate that someone has the "cure", because I am about to build an entire new gametype (sort of) and it DEMANDS large open areas.
I guess this is more or less normal. But if you give these surfaces later "Fack Backdrop" (of course with a skybox) you will not have this problem anymore. Take a look at some UT04 ONS Maps, there is the same if you have the skybox "disabled". So, dont worry about this.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

But I think that I already tried that and the result was the same... well I will try it again to see if I really tried that.
I will give feedback later...
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Feralidragon wrote:But I think that I already tried that and the result was the same... well I will try it again to see if I really tried that.
Even with a 65536 x 655536 x 20000 cube I have none of these bsp holes.. very interesting. And with skybox I have no problems, too.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Creavion wrote:
Feralidragon wrote:But I think that I already tried that and the result was the same... well I will try it again to see if I really tried that.
Even with a 65536 x 655536 x 20000 cube I have none of these bsp holes.. very interesting. And with skybox I have no problems, too.
Yeah, I don't have any problems at all in my computer. But in my father-in-law's computer (which is very very similar to my own, it changes only in the graphic card), it shows those annoying HOMs.

I searched, and it is an hardware issue indeed, but maybe there's a way to avoid it, so I asked.

EDIT: I made a mistake, those happen in my computer too, but only in windowed mode (software rendering), that's why I asked maybe a render setting...
][X][~FLuKE~][X][
Experienced
Personal rank: RocketX5/6 creator

Post by ][X][~FLuKE~][X][ »

two options, one has been mentioned and that would be making all of the perimeter walls with fake backdrop properties, the other way is it has to be split into zones....
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, I guess i didn't tried the skybox after all (which is strange, I was really convinced that I already had tried that and didn't work), and it worked. The only thing now is the floor (the only surface that isn't "fakedropped" of the box) is cut in the edges when you look directly at them from a far distance, at the same spot where the HOMs were. But that's ok, it does not make that difference.

Well, I think that I can make the new gametype after all, once the maps are now possible everywhere (I would just need distance fog, but I guess that's too much to ask LOL)

Thanks all :D