Help: Glass?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Acid.OMG
Adept
Personal rank: XFIRE: mmmmtoasty

Help: Glass?

Post by Acid.OMG »

Can anyone explain to me how to make glass windows without getting the hall of mirrors

my most recent map is a giant broken heart

this was the first screenshot when i wa shalf way throguh the map

henyways i made the crakc down the middle a glass window but it has the HOM becaus ei dont know how to make the movers for a window without it being non-solid
[/Awesome]
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Re: Help: Glass?

Post by GenMoKai »

Hmm sounds like you used SOLID brushes. use semi-solid brushes for it. it should remove those HOM bugs :!:
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Acid.OMG
Adept
Personal rank: XFIRE: mmmmtoasty

Post by Acid.OMG »

thanks i thought i tried that and it made it like able to wlak through but i just tried it and it works .. thanks :tu:
[/Awesome]
dxej
Average
Personal rank: Retired

Post by dxej »

There are 2 ways that I create my glasses with.

- The place were you want your glass in, example. 128 by 64 by 32. Make an brush that is similar to 126 by 62 by 30 and just ADD the brush there, with an glass texture,.. Than go to texture properties and select Translucent.

- The place were u want your glass in, example. 128 by 64 by 32. Make an brush thats similar to 128 by 64 by 32, and use the ADD SPECIAL brush button, this will open an new window, wich gives you a few options.. select VOLUME. Now u have ur glass. Only you can walk trough it now. so you have to make an invisible wall in the middle of it..

gl!
Latest map » CTF-Sanctum
Work in Progress » A BT Map in Gray & White style ; a w00tabulous map ; a regular CTF map & another big project.
[]Coi[]
Novice

Post by []Coi[] »

If you want the images mirror then do Translucent and Mirror
NinjaNali
Average

Post by NinjaNali »

If you want proper glass in a room do this

Add a sheet the size of the hole and set it up to glass (you can add special >> glass if you want, but i choose not to as additional configurations on it don't seem to work after a rebuild)

Next make a cube a few units off the height and width of the room (and say about 8 breadth if its just a normal glass pane) then Add special >> Invisable Collision Hull

You now have the proper graphical look of glass (rather then the fake added transparent cube that you can see through at the sides) No H.O.M (the problem with a full size added cube) and good collision control (no collision bugs as those sort of problems only seem happen to ICHs when they touch BSP.)
-Feint-
Skilled
Personal rank: Amateur Mapper

Post by -Feint- »

Testaccount wrote:Stupid question - I've got a floor to ceiling window on a floating room.

Now if I stand on the ledge near the window,I can see through it fine.However I can also see through the base point of the window where it touches its window sill. No HOM.

Would Semi-Solid fix this? If so I presume it is in Add>Special.
DanomanUK@i4games-Forum wrote:Nah, people bitch one way or another.
You cant win as a mapper ;)
dxej
Average

Post by dxej »

so u mean like you get an nice glitchy fuckup there ;d

Uhmz

try making the brush Semi-Solid, if that doesnt work, make it Non-Solid and place invisible wall inside it. if THAT doesnt work

Make the window smaller than the place its gone be in. ( example a trimbox from 128x256x32, make ur window 127x255x32 ) an ad an SOLID brush in there and just transluce it!
Latest map » CTF-Sanctum
Work in Progress » A BT Map in Gray & White style ; a w00tabulous map ; a regular CTF map & another big project.
-Feint-
Skilled
Personal rank: Amateur Mapper

Post by -Feint- »

Testaccount wrote:
dxej wrote:so u mean like you get an nice glitchy fuckup there ;d

Uhmz

try making the brush Semi-Solid, if that doesnt work, make it Non-Solid and place invisible wall inside it. if THAT doesnt work

Make the window smaller than the place its gone be in. ( example a trimbox from 128x256x32, make ur window 127x255x32 ) an ad an SOLID brush in there and just transluce it!
Okay I'll try the semi solid stat.

Can'tmake the window smaller as I need it water tight, and there no point wasting memory using Sheets if the glass can do the job.
DanomanUK@i4games-Forum wrote:Nah, people bitch one way or another.
You cant win as a mapper ;)
dxej
Average

Post by dxej »

tip
make ur water zones trough
ZONE VOLUME

this way u can make your waterzone look like an sphere if you want to..

Try testing some..

the zone volume button will basicly make an waterzone to your brushscape.. ;)
Latest map » CTF-Sanctum