ReducedDamageType of UnrealI.Queen

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

ReducedDamageType of UnrealI.Queen

Post by Barbie »

After adding a Queen to a map I noticed its ReducedDamageType which consists only of a single quotation mark:
QueenProperties.jpg
A look into the stock code verifies that:

Code: Select all

class Queen extends ScriptedPawn;
defaultproperties {
     Health=1500
     ReducedDamageType='
     ReducedDamagePct=0.500000
}
Does this have a special meaning or is it just a lost character?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Higor
Godlike

Re: ReducedDamageType of UnrealI.Queen

Post by Higor »

Go take a look at one of Terralift's mover's tags.
Stuff like that is all around.

(Cookie for whoever gets it)
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

That pisses me off 2 ways.

1. How did I never notice that before? " ' " :sad2:

2. Why does that compile? I assume it does... Does it? If it does, I would guess ReducedDamageType is still broken
and does nothing.

Not going to investigate further myself. Don't think I want to win a cookie.
(Last I heard, this "Cookie" chick was gonna cut off my balls for losing my source code. :loool: )

*Edit: Are there checks in that mover and other code to see if the value of ReducedDamageType is actually equal to a single quote string character '. (" ' ") ?
Tell me it ain't so.
Don't make me go actually look for it.
blarg
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

ReducedDamage uses a string value. It doesn't parse what is inside that string. That way it can use unique, player created damage types.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I apology but I'm no longer using default trash
Tentacle:
- PeripheralVision = -2.000000 - said a cosine of an angle - interesting this angle after all....
- HearingThreshold = 10.000000 - How much reacts at noise ? It's Voodoo Magic, man.
- SightRadius = 1000.000000 - Omg, watch out Mr. Sniper this pawn will hunt you because it might see you from other server, LOL.

IceSkaarj:
- NameArticle = " a " = a IceSkaarj - English grammar for me is pretty 0 but the rest are the same, USA prototypes - I'm happy to speak well my native language.

Nali:
- bWarnTarget = True - Really ???
- Aggressiveness = -10.000000 - Yes, it is warning target: Hey, target, I'm a chicken look how fast I can run...
- bHasRangedAttack = True - Nali attack: Look out, I'm farting from 3 miles away...

Ect
More or less dumb things are in "default" so we have no problem, MH servers are still running. Some Queen breaks counters making player to vote but no major crashes happens except SkaarjBerserker (need external push or replacement), sometimes LeglessKrall wants to die and PreventDeath unwise used might crash, and the rest of attacking 0 enemy is an often behavior. Go check them before subclassing new "Pawns". The rest of TriggeredDeath making monster totally invulnerable is not a problem, we are destroying cheaters - even if are monsters. See ? There is required a lot of work to gain stability else more crap is exhausting server each Level.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote:Some Queen breaks counters
What is that for an issue? I've just implemented an event for Queen's death to open the final door. Does this not work under certain circumstances?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Some mappers were interested about "a big power". They were using Queens spawned by Factories Counted, and... QueenDests. That's pure lottery with a game lost more than 50%. 2 Queens teleporting into the same spot = Vanished both, messing their Event and bullshitting Counter - we were talking about this already if I well recall.
Map MA-Queens - screenshot used as wallpaper by some... location. For me, that's an ode for stupidity on amnesia background. Is just a map that might breaks with no end as long as those 2 Queens have chances to vanish outta Level without triggering End. Good bye and "mutate bdbmapvote votemenu". ONCE happened even in Demons][, at Queens arena before opening ground-way, it was not longer opened.

This way in producing Queens is doable but wisely. Spawning only 2 Queens per line, No QueenDest, spawnpoints higher (allow falling) and spawn-rate more than 2 seconds for allowing time to fall. Then Counter must be safer configured with less pawns. Or simply using a single Queen in arena.

Aside, an example of power which is not figured by noob "mappers" is Rook(V3). There is a powerfull queen in MyLevel. It spawns a single piece having more health and powerful projectiles. Default Queen is useless for 10 hunters, none of them will retreat if they have some MH experience. That Queen can be used in other maps by loading that Rook map first and then will be available in MyLevel for next map loaded. Once declared somewhere and saved, will remain in Level setup.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Yeah that happens sometimes in the older MH map with the big central tower. There are a bunch of queens to kill at the end that spawn out of a factory. Sometimes they destroy each other and break the counter. It was one of the reasons I added triple jump to my MH server, so you could get over the final gate that won't open.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote:2 Queens teleporting into the same spot = Vanished both
Ah, that issue you meant, thanks. With only one Queen this is not a problem then.
sektor2111 wrote:powerfull queen [...] having more health and powerful projectiles.
Have you noticed the Queen in my modded map MH-Fuedal(SB)? I also changed projectile's speed and damage and furthermore the Queen gets support on every scream by spawning some pupaes^^. (But I really have to rework that re-triggerable CreatureFactory used there, because it has no maximum of spawn count. :thudown:)
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Barbie wrote:
sektor2111 wrote:2 Queens teleporting into the same spot = Vanished both
Ah, that issue you meant, thanks. With only one Queen this is not a problem then.
Not entirely. If a queen spawns in and encroaches some other monster it can get destroyed too. There's not a proximity check for the spawning and they can warp around pretty fast. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

JackGriffin wrote:It was one of the reasons I added triple jump to my MH server, so you could get over the final gate that won't open.
Nope, I'm not making the rest of maps to look stupid based on a cube-drawer with 0 skill in setting up monsters. It's simple to change Factory prototype with something different (Dragon, etc) rather than screwing innocent Levels. When I'll come back from work I'll solve Factory and Queen sh!te. Prototype can be a Warlord as well, and won't hurt nothing and code for this is really small without to affect performance. I should do this earlier but... I think I'm getting older.

2nd solution: Factory with Queen (to not make Level to look badly screwed) capping Factory at 1 piece per spawn session. All Queens are going to be there but one by one.

3rd solution: Setting up a different Queen unable to make encroaching mess and testing teleporting instances. XC_Engine prevents Collisions troubles after all. It's 2016...
- No teleport at QueenDest (or);
- No encroaching mess (or);
- No teleporting when other Queens are in Level (slow deal);
- etc ?

A personal conclusion toward properties and Queen problems. If in Unreal ScriptedPawn was far from being finished, in UT nothing has been changed, even was more fu..ed up (recall bIsPlayer), and happily adding bNoMonsters as solution.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

A note to the single quote: I noticed that this happens if an import of a T3D file is done, where the value of a name variable is single quoted. Example:

ReducedDamageType='My Damagetype'
or

ReducedDamageType=''
will be imported as a single quote only.
Maybe some import/export incompatibilities were the reason for that wired default value of ReducedDamageType.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I was thinking at Slith compilation...
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

Barbie wrote:A note to the single quote: I noticed that this happens if an import of a T3D file is done, where the value of a name variable is single quoted. Example:

ReducedDamageType='My Damagetype'
or

ReducedDamageType=''
will be imported as a single quote only.
Maybe some import/export incompatibilities were the reason for that wired default value of ReducedDamageType.

The string supposed to be in there is this:

ReducedDamageType='shot'

The full Default properties:

defaultproperties
{
	 NameArticle=" the "
     RangedProjectile=QueenProjectile
     ScreamSound=yell3Q
     Stab=stab1Q
     Shoot=shoot1Q
     Claw=claw1Q
	 ClawDamage=50
	 StabDamage=80
	 FootStepSound=step1t
     CarcassType=CreatureCarcass
	 TimeBetweenAttacks=+00001.000000
     Aggressiveness=+00005.000000
     ReFireRate=+00000.400000
	 ReducedDamageType='shot'
	 ReducedDamagePct=+0.5
     bHasRangedAttack=True
	 bCanDuck=True
	 bIsBoss=True
     Acquire=yell1Q
     Fear=yell2Q
     Roam=nearby2Q
     Threaten=yell2Q
     Health=1500
     Visibility=250
     SightRadius=+03000.000000
     MeleeRange=+00100.000000
     Intelligence=BRAINS_HUMAN
     GroundSpeed=+00400.00000
     AccelRate=+01500.000000
     JumpZ=+00800.000000
     MaxStepHeight=+00025.000000
     RotationRate=(Pitch=6000,Yaw=50000,Roll=3072)
     HitSound1=yell2Q
     HitSound2=yell2Q
     Die=outcoldQ
     CombatStyle=+00000.950000
     DrawType=DT_Mesh
     Mesh=SkQueen
	 AmbientSound=Amb1Q
     SoundRadius=32
     TransientSoundVolume=+00016.000000
     CollisionRadius=+00090.200000
     CollisionHeight=+00106.700000
     Mass=+01000.000000
}
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

SilverSound wrote:The string supposed to be in there is this:

ReducedDamageType='shot'
Thanks for reply. May I ask from where you got this information?