zeta map for a testing & opinions

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: zeta map for a testing & opinions

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote:the map crashed (3 times) due, as far as I can tell, to NWUltraGoreSSE
Fun as UltraGore is, it can cause issues like that fairly frequently. I mainly only use it for CTF & LMS.
OjitroC wrote:Not convinced that three starting weapons in the cabin are sufficient, given the possible number of 'players' - another one would be useful given their relatively slow respawn time and that the bots tend to pick up everything before players get the chance.
· Weapons Stay is an option you have before starting the game, it's one of UT's default options. Before you start your game, click the other option tabs in the game selection window... think it's the same tab as Game Time.
· The original map had 1 weapon, plus some imported tanks from ut2004's Onslaught.
· There are more than 3 weapons. Just behind the cabin is a redeemer, just left of that big White Rock outside is a bazooka. Each time you kill one of the bosses, they drop a weapon.
OjitroC wrote:The three Crimson Guard did little or nothing - just staying where they started (presume they need to be hit by enemy fire to respond and so assume that they weren't hit the times I played).
Those large pulsing green orbs the boss monsters fire are pretty devastating over a WIDE area, normally those will kick the Crimson Guard into attacking them. I've played the map hundreds of times, I've never seen a game where those CS didn't go after a boss within 3 minutes of a started game.
OjitroC wrote:The Doom weapons are OK though the Chaingun becomes an Unreal Minigun in first person view - the problem with the Plasma Gun is that on stopping firing it moves up and to the right into the player's field of view and obscures it - this can be unfortunate.
UDoom was a project that was apparently abandoned early on due to copyright issues. Took some doing to find that weaponspack, but yeah... I kinda got the sense it was released in beta mode. Also the reason I didn't put the BFG on the map, cuz it looks great in the HUD but not when looking at other players holding it. ChainGun's a little disappointing in the HUD... but it works okay.

OjitroC: What weapons do you think would be ideal for this map?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Fun as UltraGore is, it can cause issues like that fairly frequently. I mainly only use it for CTF & LMS.
Yes, I think it is great so reluctant to play without it - nice (in a way) to know it is not just me who has problems with it - certainly won't use it again for this map or MH in general.
EvilGrins wrote: · Weapons Stay is an option you have before starting the game, it's one of UT's default options. Before you start your game, click the other option tabs in the game selection window... think it's the same tab as Game Time.
I'll have to give it a try - didn't think of it when I was playing the map!
EvilGrins wrote: OjitroC: What weapons do you think would be ideal for this map?
Well, that's a good question! I must confess I mostly play UT TDM at the moment with 'real' weapons (Infiltration, Combat Zone, CS Weapons, Covert Forces, Agent X) - I use StuffSwapper with these as well as stuff from UT2K4, U4E, SevenB, ChaosUT and TeamOrbit, plus MrLoathsome's Laser. Beyond these and the Doom and Quake weapons, I haven't really tried out a lot of others (or, if I did, wasn't impressed).

I suppose my (obvious) answer to your question would be Nali Weapons, though I like SevenB's Chaingun (for its rapid rate of fire), TeamOrbit's Tommy Gun and the HellFire Cannon (extra powerful flack cannon) and so, if I was putting weapons in this map, I would be tempted to try these along with Mr Loathsome's Laser plus a bazooka/rocket launcher. I think reasonably powerful weapons are needed but not TOO powerful - needs to be a balance. I did also wonder if some kind of sniper rifle would be useful, but perhaps not.

Having said all that, I do think you've done a great job with it and it is fun to play with Doom weapons - having a series of the map with different monsters and weapons would be great fun also.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote:having a series of the map with different monsters and weapons would be great fun also.
That is what I do · http://tinyurl.com/4ym7d7y · with certain maps · viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5008 · here & there.

Currently working on another variant of this, with less weapons:
Only thing in the cabin are a standard M16 & a Goa'uld staff weapon · viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3460

Although elsewhere on the map, to even the playing field with the bosses (and some tiny super fast beasties) there's an InstaComboGib.

As to the Quake/Doom one you've currently got... did you find Xan?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: As to the Quake/Doom one you've currently got... did you find Xan?
Didn't get as far as that before the map crashed but will give it another go sometime soon, without NWUltraGore.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote:What weapons do you think would be ideal for this map?
Did you try this? viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5654&start=60
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:What weapons do you think would be ideal for this map?
Did you try this? viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5654&start=60
I remember that project... but I missed on it getting finished.

And now I gotta make another map...

Maybe use the monsterpack from this · http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/63310.html
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I will check out your maps, just leave me the most current links that you have.

But I just don't want to check too soon if there is more you know will be done.
Binary Space Partitioning
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote:I will check out your maps, just leave me the most current links that you have.
Most current links are at the start of thread, bottom of 1st post... though medor indicated I gotta fix one so give it another day.

Still working on your edit, probably added to later this week.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Despite the issues that keep coming up with BPak · viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6661 · I recently got my hands on, according to medor, the correct official version of BPak. So, bypassing some previous mysteries about what an OMG was · viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3723 · I decided to tool up a largely BPak variant of this map:
Which, needless to say, is completely insane.

Turns out the OMG are much easier to kill with the weapons that're in BPak... though not so much easier it isn't still a good challenge.

Surprisingly, BPak doesn't have that many monsters in it (a lot less than most .u files with monsters) so I had to make a substitution or three...

What I've got, still working it, is a map that's fun to play, very intense, and has 3 kinds of redeemers on it... as I gave the BPak Galtic redeemers firepower to 2 of the boss monsters. Only small issue it tends to crash every other play given the intensity of some of the different redeemers interacting.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote:according to medor, the correct official version of BPak.
From where did you drew conclusion about that as being "correct official" and explain details - CONSOLE please...
The fact is, I WON'T replace my BPak with any of supposed "correct official" as long as I don't have any troubles with mine.
So for a better translation OFFICIAL version is not CORRECT either and still far from terms <correct> - dream on.
I cannot recall how many admins were losing patience fixing it even with the price of a mismatch or 10 × 100+ mismatches because is a trash NON stock.
But in a random moments I'll be extremely glad to see it coming with some useless BPak.UTX as other ones, and stage can be completed with BPak.UAX as well, and we can sort out some dance as BPak.UMX. So chain BPak will be properly completed, right ? :mrgreen:
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote:From where did you drew conclusion about that as being "correct official" and explain details - CONSOLE please...
For that you'd have to ask medor · http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... 9833#p9833

You wanna talk monsters... I'm your guy, but with a swiftly dwindling UT-community, medor is like the leading expert on all sorts of random files.
sektor2111 wrote:The fact is, I WON'T replace my BPak with any of supposed "correct official" as long as I don't have any troubles with mine.
That's usually my attitude as well, but I did. Turns out his "official" one and mine were the exact same size, but his had an earlier creation date than mine.

So I figured, why not?

Nothing's been negatively impacted so far.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote:medor is like the leading expert on all sorts of random files
Really ? Interesting... :lol2:
Aside, that Minilord breaks kill chain and does no EVENT, BigFace pupae has a crap collision, SpawnEffects from bEightball it's bullshitting. There is not need to speak about what mutators are there messing up Skaarj more than it needs. Yes, it doesn't have issues :ironic: , I really don't understand what have been fixing those evil admins, whatta world...
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote:Aside, that Minilord breaks kill chain and does no EVENT,
Think I might know how to fix that, though just on a map by map basis. Have an idea but I keep forgetting to test it.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Done about as much editing as I can think to for these 4 variants of the map:

Debating on whether or not I should release them all in 1 .zip or do it gradually in a series of posts.