zeta map for a testing & opinions

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

zeta map for a testing & opinions

Post by EvilGrins »

Most people release a map for testing they call it a beta, which is the B from the Greek alphabet. Since this is a map edit from someone else's existing work, I'm going with Z from the same alphabet.

This is an edit, all permissions gotten from THUNDERBOLT & Hitman, that had assisted editing from others.

Initial submission thread on Hermskii's · http://tinyurl.com/z9sgo68
Secondary thread from this forum here · http://tinyurl.com/gmameqv

Summary: I made the first edit, Nelsona & Red_Fist made edits of my edit, and I took those and have been tinkering with them ever since.

What I'm wanting folks to test is from Nels' first edit:
I wasn't too fond of this at first.... but it grew on me quick. Nels made every monster on the map attack at once, with MonsterPathing. It was a little overwelming but I've been tinkering... too many monsters, but given I like maps where you have direct warfare it kinda works. The problem though is I added a hidden monster to a hard to reach area of the map (for those that like to hunt down every last beastie) and with this pathing it wasn't hiding anymore.

It's a GrimReaper... for those that know how scary powerful that is.

I changed the projectiles of several of the monsters on the map, I re-skinned some others, and I did my best to correct the typos from the original map in those instructional messages that happen as players get along the way...
...and, of course, this map has some unusual weapons.

You start in a cabin on one side, in front of which there is a path. Normally you travel the path (not quite a yellow brick road but the analogy holds) and kill monsters along the way. You reach a cabin on the other side, flip a switch, hop a couple teleports, and then you get to the exit you're told about in the intro messages. Of course to get to the exit you need to grab jumpboots at ground level first, among other little challenges.

In this edit, tentatively entitled "STAMPEDE" all monsters are attacking the moment the game starts... but theyre not entirely after only just you, what players are with you, and any bots you've got in tow:
This map has 1 TeamMonster on it, set for Red: listed as a Red Team Thug. It won't help you but it won't attack you, it's only interested in fighting the other monsters... and as it happens, a lot of their attention will be on this Thug.

Out of curiosity, I edited another version with no Thug... and there was no stampede. Apparently a TeamMonster is such a threat that the normal monsters want it dead as fast as possible.

So, I'm submitting 2 maps for your perusal: STAMPEDE & Thug Free. The second should be closer to fairly normal play, as the Thug isn't around to stir up the neighbors.

Weapons:
M-16 Silver: Standard assault rifle with a grenade launcher.
Blue Baller: It's an energetic uzi with a sniper scope.
Greenie Gun: Sort of a cartoon weapon but fairly tough.
Pulse Rifle: TeamMonster drops them around periodically.
Redeemer: Directly behind the cabin you start in.
Instagib: Fairly close to the end of the map.
Transloc: Due to the hard to get hidden spot the Grim Reaper starts... you'd need that plus jumpboots to even get there.

Play both maps, give them a thorough going over, and let me know what you think: suggestions, criticisms, etc.

Usual Suspects:
.u /system
.umx /music
.unr /maps
.png - pwetty
.txt - this message will self-destruct

Given time, I may do this again. After all, Nels did another edit and so did Red_Fist.

Enjoy · http://www.mediafire.com/download/ffn60 ... ORESTz.zip

Doom/Quake variant · http://www.mediafire.com/download/pu9k7 ... _HELLz.zip
Screenshots · http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/108484.html
Last edited by EvilGrins on Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: zeta map for a testing & opinions

Post by Red_Fist »

I need more time but I will check it out, see what you did. :tu:
Binary Space Partitioning
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote:I need more time but I will check it out, see what you did. :tu:
Plan on doing things a bit different on the edit you edited, when I get to it.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Your wish was to NOT see Bot finishing map.
Well, for me was a normal option, but not before doing a visit at Queen climbing through cascade :satan: .

Aside, more cute stuff can be done. Also a fixed BPak helps. The rest of... lags are not my fault or yours...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Hm... the Greenie Gun looks interesting. Is it a grenade launcher type?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote:Your wish was to NOT see Bot finishing map.
True... though I think the version I got from Red_Fist still does that.

Main issue I had with a bot finish is they don't goto hunt down the extra monsters around the map... and many who play online hate when someone rush finishes a map before killing everything. Figured that'd be even worse if a bot finished it while there's still monsters around for players to kill.

I normally love maps bots can finish.
papercoffee wrote:Hm... the Greenie Gun looks interesting. Is it a grenade launcher type?
It's a silly-enhancement of the Ripper. It fires those green boxes with the faces on them & it fires a glowing explosive orb... with one of those green box faced things inside it.

Only downside of Greenie is it doesn't come with an .int file, but I suppose I could write one up if I needed to. Done it before.
sektor2111 wrote:The rest of... lags are not my fault or yours...
It may or may not be my new computer, but I don't have anymore lag issues with this map. Also, I removed 2 of the TeamMonsters... so that might've helped.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

It can be fixed, just have a counter that triggers the exit to on. Depending on what you want counted. like a 5 banger after all else is dead.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote:It can be fixed, just have a counter that triggers the exit to on. Depending on what you want counted. like a 5 banger after all else is dead.
The exit is permanently open, it's just a matter of getting to it. Until you flip that switch near the end, after killing the HUGE green brute, the door opens, you walk on up, and jumpboots away!

Exit is open from the beginning of the map, killing monsters just gets you to the cabin with the switch being unlocked... but the wanting to kill all monsters on a map is a general complaint on various forums. Too many people online rush a map, get to the exit, and to hell with anyone who still wanted to keep playing it.

How do you turn an exit off? That might be something.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

you will see in the monster_end "initially active" if you make that false the bots won't go for it, and players can't exit, unless you pulse the tag with an event. from a counter, trigger,mover, or whatever you need or want to trigger it to be active.

that way a certain thing(s) like a last goal after the map is all cleaned out to turn it on.
On my last MH map I made it so the bots have to wait for a human to open a mover.
But, you also don't want the bots to keep trying to only go to the exit all the time until you let them. Once it's turned on they run for the exit.

You want them to ignore the exit so they don't only run at a wall and get stuck, I would have some other thing for a human to turn it on.
such as like 5 spawned things as the last goal, after the map is cleaned.

could be tricky since that map is one open space

Or you could just use a trigger, and a doorway blocked. once the human player walks through it, turns on the exit, and the bots or players can exit.

I also can not stand when people rush for the exit, really t's me off. This was a problem in quake 1, friggen idiots only run for the exit and kept changing the maps.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote:you will see in the monster_end "initially active" if you make that false the bots won't go for it, and players can't exit, unless you pulse the tag with an event. from a counter, trigger,mover, or whatever you need or want to trigger it to be active.
Most powerful monster on the map, with the most health, is that Warlord. Especially after the weapon I gave him, he's the toughest contender. It took 9 bots with Blue Ballers getting him in their sights and then about 3 minutes of solid firepower from all of them to kill him.

Ideally, I think tying the exit to the Warlord, so it isn't open until he dies, would be ideal... just need to know how to do that.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Is the warlord spawned ? or is it placed in the map ?

If it's placed in the map already just make it's event, use the same tag in the monster_end tag

set the monster_end to initially active, to false. done. it will turn on the exit after it dies.

If it's spawned you need a counter. with the same tag as the spawnpoint and the creature factory. Make the event of the counter the same as the tag of the monster_end, set it to count to 1,,,,,done. once it dies will send a pulse to the counter that will turn on the Monster_end.

If it required another pulse, to trigger the spawned warlord, set the counter to 2.

I always mess that up, but if it spawns the exit will open counts to 1, but I think it needs to be set to 2. aaarg maybe it is 1.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote:Is the warlord spawned ? or is it placed in the map ?
Warlord is one of the beasties on the map, not spawned. It's normally on top of the mountain guarding the exit... until someone either goes up there or somebody managed to shoot it, so it goes down to kill them and their whole family.

I'll give that a try later.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Because of a general dislike of Bpak, I'm swapping items & monsters from the Bpak.u to those in Hunters.u for Nelsona's other map.

For Red_Fist's map I'm...
...going a bit more old school.

Monsters from Doom & Quake, eventually Doom textures for the overall map and...
...Doom weapons.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

And factors to take in account.
That greenie whatever gun is not ready, also SDB awesome rifle has a lot of crap when Bot handles that. The rest of new monsters have nothing fixed, just default errors moved making life harder to replace and fix them.
As Opinion because I did tests already I won't use any awesome stuff hosted and untested. I rather prefer 3 cubes linked with a tunnel in 4 textures and 5 lights rather that all that "great scroll". What such map does in console are not random rare occurrences heavy to manage, this is only spam coming from "addicted modding" for UT and making admins to throw up.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote:That greenie whatever gun is not ready
I assume you mean how you can see players/bots hands through the barrel of it. doesn't seem to effect it's playability, and near as I can tell whoever it was that made it isn't around anymore... so it's about as ready as it's ever gonna be.

As to the rest? At the moment i'm not playing so much online and it's works well enough for at home games and, as a recent chat I had with THUNDERBOLT on DU suggests, this map was originally intended for LAN games.

Mostly been keeping up on this by checking the various places posted · http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/107827.html · though most interaction has been here.