Lighting a map.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
dxej
Average
Personal rank: Retired

Lighting a map.

Post by dxej »

Hi, there.

Ofc i know how to light a map ;p.

but i just want to hear some tips and / or tutorials.. bcoz basicly i am CRAP in doing lightnings

;)

So, bring those tips , tutorials etc in plx!
Grtz
Latest map » CTF-Sanctum
Work in Progress » A BT Map in Gray & White style ; a w00tabulous map ; a regular CTF map & another big project.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Lighting a map.

Post by Feralidragon »

Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

I don't like that tutorial.
There is one lil thing you should always take in consideration when you're adding lights.
Each light must have a source, like a lamp or the sky. Lights that float around in the middle of nothing look horribly wrong.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Myth wrote:I don't like that tutorial.
There is one lil thing you should always take in consideration when you're adding lights.
Each light must have a source, like a lamp or the sky. Lights that float around in the middle of nothing look horribly wrong.
The tutorial from the link I gave already tells you that, and that's not entirelly true: :what:
"And please use light sources. Nothing looks worse than a map without light sources/lamps. "
"The global light does NOT need light source, only local lights need one."
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

That's one of the reasons why I hate that tutorial. It tells a modified truth which in some more complex situations leads to misunderstanding.
dxej
Average

Post by dxej »

know that tutorial..
used it before,

i basicly use lightsources y ;p

just need some tips bcoz basicly my lightings are just dire,

-._!
Latest map » CTF-Sanctum
Work in Progress » A BT Map in Gray & White style ; a w00tabulous map ; a regular CTF map & another big project.
NinjaNali
Average

Post by NinjaNali »

Myth wrote:I don't like that tutorial.
This is just about rule #1, also to expand that, one light (actor) isn't enough just to light for one light, that probably sounds confusing, so here's an example:

1:there is a small cube added onto a wall, this will be the light the played sees.
2: (optional) if you want a corona, one light will be used as a corona
3: One light will be used as a "highlight" as just one light actor gives the room too much of a bland feel.
4: Another light will be put close / same spot to #3 with generally a lower brightness and higher radius so to light the room well (hues and such might be done slighty to if it doesn't look right by default)
5: (optional) a "reflection" light, which is used for extra impact when walls would shine particularaly well i presume, never really bothered with this though.

Also, zonelighting is alright, but only in small amounts if you ask me, it's a lot easier to light up that massive outdoor terrain with skybox using zonelighting then highlighting particular places rather then to try and light the whole place equally (or by how the lightsources are coming from) with lights, and a very dark atmosphere that you can get with zone lighting is a lot better then bitch black / light overlapping that can happen with usage of multiple light actors.

Aboves just my opinions 'bout it btw, Don't really know many in-depth lighting tutorials, I suppose you could try and look for one in another editor then transfer that knowledge to the unreal editor if you have no luck finding one for Ued.
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

NinjaNali wrote: 1:there is a small cube added onto a wall, this will be the light the played sees.
2: (optional) if you want a corona, one light will be used as a corona
3: One light will be used as a "highlight" as just one light actor gives the room too much of a bland feel.
4: Another light will be put close / same spot to #3 with generally a lower brightness and higher radius so to light the room well (hues and such might be done slighty to if it doesn't look right by default)
5: (optional) a "reflection" light, which is used for extra impact when walls would shine particularaly well i presume, never really bothered with this though.
There, now I lost my faith in humanity...
dxej
Average

Post by dxej »

Thanx for these tips. I currently basicly use the 3 lightnings and the lightcone out of davidM tutorial. but y. i just need to practise around with lights more..

any other tips and hints are welcome ;0 'd
Latest map » CTF-Sanctum
cancer
Novice

Post by cancer »

what you need is a clapper
CLAP Light on CLAP Light off
smeerkat
Skilled
Personal rank: DHR

Post by smeerkat »

[did]Madis