UnrealEd not saving settings

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
TheRoel-R
Novice

UnrealEd not saving settings

Post by TheRoel-R »

Hello everyone!

For some time already, UnrealEd is not saving any changes to the settings I make. It never really bothered me too much as I have been using the same settings for many years already, the only annoying thing is that it never remembers the last folder I used for, for example, importing textures, and the list of most recently used files is never updated.

But recently I have been changing around some more settings, such as changing the Texture browser from displaying fixed sizes to variable sizes, and I have been playing around with the sizes of the view ports a bit. But re-opening the editor resets all these changes.

It seems that for some reason UnrealEd.ini is not updated whenever I make any changes. I know I can manually edit the ini, but it is a bit cumbersome. Also, there are a few changes for which I do not know which value to change in the ini.

It used to work properly in the past though. It started ever since I upgraded from Win7 to Win8.1 and later Win10. I have already tried running UnrealEd as admin, and tried different compatibility modes, but no success. I also couldn't detect any strange things in the permissions in the UnrealEd.ini file or the UT/System folder, and the file is not set to read only. Deleting UnrealEd.ini doesn't create a fresh file either.

Does anyone have these issues as well, and does anyone know a solution for it?
Barbie
Godlike

Re: UnrealEd not saving settings

Post by Barbie »

Have you installed UT in one of the directories %ProgramFiles%, %ProgramData% or %SystemRoot% that are monitored by the Windows' VirtualStore? In that case the simplest solution would be installing UT in another directory, e.g. "C:\UT" or even on another drive.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
TheRoel-R
Novice

Post by TheRoel-R »

It is installed in C:\Games\UnrealTournament, so I don't think that is the problem. It does not seem to be related to that UnrealEd would not have permission to write to the folder, as it is able to write to Editor.log.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Maybe a bigger gun helps: by using Process Monitor you can see what files are processed by UnrealEd.exe.
Procmon4UnrealEd.jpg
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

After I got a new computer and all my UT content was moved from my old one to the new one, I had a similar issue. I couldn't even save edits to old maps i'd been working on directly.

Had to start hitting "Save as" in order to make a new map, because the moved files were somehow all locked. Map files, .int files, .ini files, .utx files, etc.

Here's what you should do:
- Find the .ini for UnrealEd
- copy all content in that to a new .ini
- delete the original .ini
- rename the new .ini to what the original was.

That should do it.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Right-click on the shortcut and set it so it launches with admin privalage.
TheRoel-R
Novice

Post by TheRoel-R »

Barbie wrote:Maybe a bigger gun helps: by using Process Monitor you can see what files are processed by UnrealEd.exe.
It seems that different .INIs are accessed upon opening UnrealEd, but after opening, none of them are accessed anymore, even after changing settings.
EvilGrins wrote:Here's what you should do:
- Find the .ini for UnrealEd
- copy all content in that to a new .ini
- delete the original .ini
- rename the new .ini to what the original was.
That didn't help unfortunately.
Dr.Flay wrote:Right-click on the shortcut and set it so it launches with admin privalage.
I already tried that, but no success.
Sp0ngeb0b
Adept

Post by Sp0ngeb0b »

Is the editor closing correctly? If it crashes instead of closing normally, settings are not saved. What does the Editor.log say?
Website, Forum & UTStats

Nexgen Server Controller || My plugins & mods on GitHub
TheRoel-R
Novice

Post by TheRoel-R »

Hmm good point. Editor.log is empty, unless I run the editor with the -log parameter, then it just shows some basic initialization information (and nothing more).

I am pretty sure UnrealEd crashes when I close it (Windows Event viewer is full off APPCRASH entries because of Unrealed), but it has always done that, even back when I used WindowsXP and Windows 7. I would always hear the Windows-error sound when closing the editor (I don't hear it with Win10 though), but the settings were always saved. The only thing I can think of is that it now crashes earlier in the closing process, failing to write the settings? Anyway to prevent it from crashing?
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Hmm random thought, is DEP turned off for UnrealED?
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
TheRoel-R
Novice

Post by TheRoel-R »

I think so. DEP is enabled for essential Windows programs and services only, and there is no way to add a program. I did have to disable DEP for UnrealEd on Win8.1, but it appears they changed something for Win10.