Map ideas topic

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Map ideas topic

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

I was thinking, many of us have thoughts about cool maps, but some of us are not mappers, and others don't have much time to realize their map ideas.
So why not to post here our map ideas? I think this could even be useful to take inspirations and concepts to create nice maps.
We could use draws or 3D models to make a rough of our map ideas.

I wanted to start with a map I was thinking some months ago. It is an underground map located into a subway station with two subways and two levels.
This is a rough pic:
SUBWAYS.png
The niceness of this map should be the fact that players will need to pass through the running subways to be able to cap more quickly. They can obviously choose to jump from a side to another with a bit of luck, or just pass through the subway ways hoping a subway isn't coming right there at that moment lol. The second level is to let players to cap without passing through the subway ways, they will spend more time tho.

EDIT: I forgot to put some cylindrical solids on the middle sidewalk representing advertisings.
Last edited by PrinceOfFunky on Wed May 25, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Map ideas topic

Post by EvilGrins »

Maps with subways aren't too uncommon, but ones with functioning trains in them are rare. I've got like 5 with functioning trains... but only 2 maps where you can actually get on the trains and go from station to station.

I'm very pro-subway-map.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

EvilGrins wrote:Maps with subways aren't too uncommon, but ones with functioning trains in them are rare. I've got like 5 with functioning trains... but only 2 maps where you can actually get on the trains and go from station to station.

I'm very pro-subway-map.
I was trying to use the train from HiSpeed, deleting some inside objects and making it simple, but when I tried to use it as a mover, it was all messed up.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Problem with your map idea ...Translocator.

:mrgreen:
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

papercoffee wrote:Problem with your map idea ...Translocator.
Here: https://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11504
it says that mutators can be implemented into maps, so what about a mutator that does something like this?

Code: Select all

function ModifyPlayer(Pawn Other)
{
    if (PlayerPawn(Other) != None)
    {
        // Use DeleteInventory() or something like that to remove the Translocator.
    }
}
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

With a flag you should not use a translocator, so the way back would be the challenge.
I like such maps very much.

Three maps come to my mind when I read your post:

CTF-Frogger :
A map with two roads and cars on in, where you be catched when you have not the right timing.

CTF-LP-Iodine :
A very nice map with a fast train in the middle, it pass the map so fast that it is really a challenge to cross the rails.

CTF-TrainYard :
A very big map with two trains, where you have to use them on top to reach the other base.

Perhaps you should have a look at them for some inspiration.
Last edited by Aldebaran on Wed May 25, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iacobus_Imrlz
Average

Post by Iacobus_Imrlz »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:I was trying to use the train from HiSpeed, deleting some inside objects and making it simple, but when I tried to use it as a mover, it was all messed up.
Don't worry about the shape yet. Just make moving cubes, get your ideas going and then refine it when it's all working. (the train has to be made out of detachable parts snapped together and then intersected, otherwise you get a pretty messed up brush)

Thanks for openning the topic btw. I thought I was the only one here wanting to talk about mapping :P
EvilGrins wrote:While we're still on this subway theme, think I'll take basic screenshots of the maps I've got with them to add to this for viewings and such... the largest of which may take more than 1 shot.

Good call.

TO-Derailed2 has this fully formed 'ready to become mover' brush. Not too fancy but for testing purposes might be good enough, and it's always possible to pretty things up.
Train.rar
(32 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Attachments
Shot0001.png
Shot0045.png
Last edited by Iacobus_Imrlz on Wed May 25, 2016 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

While we're still on this subway theme, think I'll take basic screenshots of the maps I've got with them to add to this for viewings and such... the largest of which may take more than 1 shot.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Iacobus_Imrlz wrote:Good call.
Why didn't you answer after EvilGrins? ...this is now confusing ...happened a time warp? :ironic:
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

Moving subways? You'd have to use portals if you want them moving continuously in one direction, right? Can you send a mover through a portal? Or did you plan on having a gap? That way, you could just drag the mover outside the map back to the starting position. What would happen if the player was still on board, though? Kill zone?
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Renegade wrote:Moving subways? You'd have to use portals if you want them moving continuously in one direction, right? Can you send a mover through a portal? Or did you plan on having a gap? That way, you could just drag the mover outside the map back to the starting position. What would happen if the player was still on board, though? Kill zone?
A mix of both the tricks can be done.
realzero.png
The red surface is the portal surface and the green solid is the subway.
Imagine that subway way to be really long and that the portal surface is more distant from the opposite portal surface, when you get into the subway_mover(A) and you reach the portal, there's already another subway mover, the subway_mover(B) that appears to be at the exact location relative to the portal surface of the other subway mover, so you cannot see any difference, except that you won't be able to hit any player into the same subway mover when shooting it, if it passed through te portal surface before you.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

My experience with moving trains: use a symmetric one so that front and rear looks equal and let it just move forward and back between two stations. I had a lot of trouble with turning the train at end stations in net play described in topic Mover attached Actors move delayed.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Iacobus_Imrlz
Average

Post by Iacobus_Imrlz »

papercoffee wrote:
Iacobus_Imrlz wrote:Good call.
Why didn't you answer after EvilGrins? ...this is now confusing ...happened a time warp? :ironic:
Making up for that double post... :mrgreen:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Great thread :idea: :tu:
Binary Space Partitioning
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Iacobus_Imrlz wrote:Don't worry about the shape yet. Just make moving cubes