New map CTF Orbiting World's ALPHA test

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Eviltom
Skilled

New map CTF Orbiting World's ALPHA test

Post by Eviltom »

https://db.tt/8t0VSHVN <------- DOWNLOAD LINK ! Updated!

After rediscovering UT99 i thought i would make a few maps. This one is a Large-ish CTF level. Loosely based on CTF face, similar sort of theme (it was one of my favourite maps back in the day) I've stollen the skybox and a few other decorative bits (laziness!)

-Tom
Last edited by Eviltom on Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rizbef
Experienced
Personal rank: castle maps hoarder

Re: New map CTF Orbiting World's ALPHA test

Post by rizbef »

Is the download supposed to be a map? The link is for a notepad file full of code, it looks like.
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

rizbef wrote:Is the download supposed to be a map? The link is for a notepad file full of code, it looks like.
I uploaded it to drop box. First time iv done it to be honest so not sure why it hasnt woked. Any better places to upload and share? Dont have my own web space at the moment
Last edited by Eviltom on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Updated
Last edited by Eviltom on Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rizbef
Experienced
Personal rank: castle maps hoarder

Post by rizbef »

Eviltom wrote:Uploaded as a zip file. Looks like it's worked.

zip file https://db.tt/GdkFVMdJ

unr file https://db.tt/x5mDcxcw
Fixed, thanks! :)

Played a few rounds... things I noticed,

The portals are one-way, correct? I left through one thinking I'd be able to go back, so I didn't get a chance to get any weapons that may have been there.
Also, the bots don't protect the flag very well :? They seem to hang around the side hills rather than near the actual flag, making it very easy for the other team to come from the other side and take it :P

Still playing though. Haven't figured out how to reach the floating platform, or located a few of the weapons yet (possibly in the spawn point I missed). Redeemer seemed a bit easy to get, though :lol:
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

rizbef wrote:
Eviltom wrote:Uploaded as a zip file. Looks like it's worked.

zip file https://db.tt/GdkFVMdJ

unr file https://db.tt/x5mDcxcw
Fixed, thanks! :)

Played a few rounds... things I noticed,

The portals are one-way, correct? I left through one thinking I'd be able to go back, so I didn't get a chance to get any weapons that may have been there.
Also, the bots don't protect the flag very well :? They seem to hang around the side hills rather than near the actual flag, making it very easy for the other team to come from the other side and take it :P

Still playing though. Haven't figured out how to reach the floating platform, or located a few of the weapons yet (possibly in the spawn point I missed). Redeemer seemed a bit easy to get, though :lol:
the bots seem very keen to protect that hill! Will have to move the defence points around. I added the Redeemer as I thought the map needed one, going to move it somewhere a bit more out of the way. Still toying with making the portals 2 way. Thanks for the feedback :tu:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Interesting map, good to see something new. Just to note, there is an invisible barrier/wall just before the step up in the terrain
Shot0027.jpg
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Okay, I'm not gonna get a chance to take a look at this until Monday, probably, but from screenshots it's looking pretty sweet.

I usually ask about bot support but you've got a mention on that. Direct pathing is okay, shortest distance between 2 points and all that, but a bit more variety is good too. Like when a bot is knocked away from a direct path... does it just sit there or does it find it's way back?

Looking forward to giving this a go when I can.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

EvilGrins wrote:Okay, I'm not gonna get a chance to take a look at this until Monday, probably, but from screenshots it's looking pretty sweet.

I usually ask about bot support but you've got a mention on that. Direct pathing is okay, shortest distance between 2 points and all that, but a bit more variety is good too. Like when a bot is knocked away from a direct path... does it just sit there or does it find it's way back?

Looking forward to giving this a go when I can.

The bots work fine everywhere has paths but when uninterrupted and left to thier own devices they tend to ignore some routes as they seem to favour the shorter route.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Played it a few times and the other thing I noticed is that bots don't always leave the space barges, which makes for a somewhat uneven contest in some games.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Eviltom wrote:texturing/lighting not finished. A few geometry issues but only visual
at the moment
And not only visual. Actually some invisible BSP error barrier blocked me...
[attachment=0]BadSpot.JPG[/attachment]
Eviltom wrote:basic bot support. I could do with some advice or a tutorial on more advanced bot pathing, the bots seem to favour the shortest route. I'm sure there is a way to change this but I can't remember!
But you can remember default CTF maps, ALSO NO PathNodes on an InventorySpot because might cause stucked Pawn and if you look around forum you'll see stuff for CTF in purpose to switch paths.
Higor did some stuff for CTF else if that is too complex look for Mylevel stuff a la PathSwitcher and so on.
Attachments
BadSpot.JPG
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

OjitroC wrote:Played it a few times and the other thing I noticed is that bots don't always leave the space barges, which makes for a somewhat uneven contest in some games.
Iv already moved the spawn points out of the barge and spead them out around the flag base.This seems to have helped the bots move aroud the level a LOT better! I may just keep the 1 portal behInd the flag base and make it 2 way. Then the barge could be a more defencive/sniping position, Perhaps that's where the redeemer could live? I will upload a newer version tonight with these changes.

******Merged****** by Dr.Flay
sektor2111 wrote:
Eviltom wrote:texturing/lighting not finished. A few geometry issues but only visual
at the moment
And not only visual. Actually some invisible BSP error barrier blocked me...
[attachment=0]BadSpot.JPG[/attachment]
Eviltom wrote:basic bot support. I could do with some advice or a tutorial on more advanced bot pathing, the bots seem to favour the shortest route. I'm sure there is a way to change this but I can't remember!
But you can remember default CTF maps, ALSO NO PathNodes on an InventorySpot because might cause stucked Pawn and if you look around forum you'll see stuff for CTF in purpose to switch paths.
Higor did some stuff for CTF else if that is too complex look for Mylevel stuff a la PathSwitcher and so on.
I thought i had cured that bsp error!. :ironic: I will to have another go! Thanks for the advice on pathing. I will have a dig through the forums and see what i can find!
Last edited by Dr.Flay on Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double post
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

https://db.tt/8t0VSHVN

new version. Players no longer spawn in the barge but are spread out around the flag base... This has improved bot performance big time, and made it a lot more fun to play. Invisible Bsp wall fixed by completely changing that part of the map! :ironic:

Barge now has only one portal (behind the flag base) but is 2 way and the barge is now has a sniper rifle and redeemer.

Still a few visual glitches. Lighting/textures arnt finalised. Bots work well but I need to add a few translocator points etc.
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

Very cool 8) Eternally grateful for folks like you keeping this game/community alive. Will D/L as soon as I get the chance!
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Please refrain from double-posting without good reason Eviltom.
You can see our position on this if you read the house rules (in my sig).

We discourage double posts within a 24 hour period. We allow users to edit all previous posts, and encourage you to carry on from where you left off, by adding an edit marker or not (I usually add *****EDIT****).

We allow some multi-posting if it helps to break a release thread into more useful chunks.
eg. within this thread started by you, I combined your answers to other people, but left your update post alone.
It make the thread clearer to find content from conversation, especially when using the site search.