unreal ed 2.0 not oppening some maps....

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Eviltom
Skilled

unreal ed 2.0 not oppening some maps....

Post by Eviltom »

Just as I'm getting close to finishing my map unreal ed starts playing up.... I tried to open a different map to check how to path translocators, it says its opened the map (file name apears in the window at the top) but it doesn't load any packages and nothing is showing in any of the views... try to load my map back up and now I'm getting the same issue! Tried oppening a few other maps. Some load properly. Some don't. ... The maps that won't load In the editor load in the game.

Am I missing something simple? Or is it a reinstall?
Barbie
Godlike

Re: unreal ed 2.0 not oppening some maps....

Post by Barbie »

What does the UnrealLog Window say? Usually errors are reported there.
UnrealLogWindow.jpg
Also terminating and restarting UnrealEd before loading another map may lead to other results as just selection File|Open, because loaded packages stay in memory then.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Same error as that! Says the file isn't there when it is! I copied the file to another location and opened it from there... opened fine!

I remember why I hated unreal ed!
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Eviltom wrote:I copied the file to another location and opened it from there... opened fine!
Maybe you run into that 78 chars limit of UnrealEd?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

You should try to open stock maps, customs are not exactly the best model unless you have seen them working.
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Barbie wrote:
Eviltom wrote:I copied the file to another location and opened it from there... opened fine!
Maybe you run into that 78 chars limit of UnrealEd?
This :gj: my UT is installed via Steam and isn't in the usual 'c:/unrealtournament' location of the drive! Causing very long filenames!

I gyess thats why the editor will open CTF-Face but not CTF-LAVAGIANT....

Guess i will keep my map names shorter! or save them somewhere else :noidea
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Eviltom wrote: I gyess thats why the editor will open CTF-Face but not CTF-LAVAGIANT....

Better save it somewhere else, as you will encounter quite a few longer map names than "LavaGiant" if you decide to install custom maps. I don't know if you could still load UT via Steam, but that option seems kind of unnecessary to me, because you can play UT from anywhere - even from your USB device!
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

editor Dave wrote:
Eviltom wrote: I gyess thats why the editor will open CTF-Face but not CTF-LAVAGIANT....

Better save it somewhere else, as you will encounter quite a few longer map names than "LavaGiant" if you decide to install custom maps. I don't know if you could still load UT via Steam, but that option seems kind of unnecessary to me, because you can play UT from anywhere - even from your USB device!
Long name maps work fine in game just not with the editor. Guess I will make a separate folder for saving works in progress, will keep my maps folder more organised anyway! Unless I can move the whole UnrealTournament folder with no ill effects? Might be more hassle than its worth anyway.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Eviltom wrote:Guess i will keep my map names shorter! or save them somewhere else :noidea
Assuming you are using windows, you can use the SUBST command to assign a drive letter to a path.
Example: Your maps are stored in »c:\users\whymyparensgivemesuchalongname\development\unreal\tournament\maps«
Then use

Code: Select all

SUBST M: c:\users\whymyparensgivemesuchalongname\development\unreal\tournament\maps
on the command line to assign the drive letter M: to that "maps" directory.