DM-Weirwood

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Eviltom
Skilled

DM-Weirwood

Post by Eviltom »

https://db.tt/Y2D4aDG0

Finished a new map. Just a small 1v1 Deathmatch based loosely on a weirwood tree and sept from the 'a song of ice and fire' / 'Game of Thrones ' books/show.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: DM-Weirwood

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Played it just now... cool tree you made there :P

I see how it is a 1v1 level as it is definetly not big enough for more (unless you want chaos). Looks pretty nice visually and the layout is very simple. Think I'm gonna keep this map for a while :)
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Looking nice, good terrain and mostly clean build. Map seems supersmall though, only two rooms with literally no cover or Z-Axis fighting.
Couple of things I noticed:
- brush142 and alike could be texture merged. Might look even better if you used some substracts to cut the tiles next to the actual cones.
- the Armor could have better botsupport. Right now only red navigation lines lead to the armor. Put a Nav-Point directly in front of the pool to solve the issue. Same goes for Medbox2 and 3.
- Pathnode 32 to 36 as well as 14 to 15 don't connect correctly.
- Put another Pathnode between Pathnode 8 and 10 to make sure bots can get up the ramp without hassle.
- Maybe use a different color for the candles? A stark orange would really give some contrast.

It's showing some promise, hope you keep on working on the map and your mapping skills in general. Cheers! :)
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Swanky wrote:Looking nice, good terrain and mostly clean build. Map seems supersmall though, only two rooms with literally no cover or Z-Axis fighting.
Couple of things I noticed:
- brush142 and alike could be texture merged. Might look even better if you used some substracts to cut the tiles next to the actual cones.
- the Armor could have better botsupport. Right now only red navigation lines lead to the armor. Put a Nav-Point directly in front of the pool to solve the issue. Same goes for Medbox2 and 3.
- Pathnode 32 to 36 as well as 14 to 15 don't connect correctly.
- Put another Pathnode between Pathnode 8 and 10 to make sure bots can get up the ramp without hassle.
- Maybe use a different color for the candles? A stark orange would really give some contrast.

It's showing some promise, hope you keep on working on the map and your mapping skills in general. Cheers! :)
Thanks for the detailed feedback. I wanted the map to be super small to be intense, but I do have plans to add this area to a bigger map. For some reason I can't get paths to go blue through those side doors. Wherever I place nodes(Perhaps the editor thinks the door is a bit small?) Same problem with the armour. The bots don't seem to have a problem though. I will keep trying though! Iv fixed the ramp path so that works better now.

How do I texture merge? Iv never known how to do this. it would save a lot of hastle! EDIT... After a bit of googling is it a case of exporting the brush then Iimporting it and ticking merge coplainers?
Deepu
Adept
Personal rank: Average

Post by Deepu »

Added to Ultimate UT Main Server
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Checked pathing for myself, not entirely sure why paths dont switch preferences to blue from their red pathing. Might have something to do with how narrow the entrances are, or in case of the armor, how low the ceiling is.
As for texture / brush merging, hit the corresponding brush with right-click -> Polygons -> merge. All polygons on the same plane and alignment will be merged thus being less taxing on the engine, the lighting creation / rendering and so forth.
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Swanky wrote: As for texture / brush merging, hit the corresponding brush with right-click -> Polygons -> merge. All polygons on the same plane and alignment will be merged thus being less taxing on the engine, the lighting creation / rendering and so forth.
I knew I would have missed it somewhere obvious! :ironic:

Thanks!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

The problem of armor seems that is a bit higher, but not really unreachable. Those paths are OK, red ones are generated as having an additional difficulty (closer to wall, too high, etc) at using them but not impossible for navigation - not in such small map. Any of you can test these using BotyMan3 and see if inventories have routes, else inventories on a normal height not levitating and you are OK. Map has 34 PathNodes but works fine with only 30 PathNodes even less (23 pieces), and inventories well placed.

Tree has a moment when brush is flickering but is not a big deal - happens when you turn away ViewSpot from certain angle.

Aside this map has a big "mistake": Title. It should sound like <DM-1on1-Weirwood> because it is a 1 on 1 map :wink: according to some naming convention.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I was originally going for something different... when I ran into a curiosity. Tried the map with Nali Weapons 3, was thinking a tree on fire would make for good CHAOS... yet somehow it didn't burn.

The NW3 flamethrower can set ANYTHING on fire except that tree.

Spooky!

In the meantime, CHAOS!

Did the map with 16 bots + my fave redeemer, screenshots to come later!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote:The NW3 flamethrower can set ANYTHING on fire except that tree.
Did you try the Hot Saucier?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:Did you try the Hot Saucier?
Not yet.

When the flamethrower didn't work I spent a little time trying to bounce grenades into the mouth & eyes...
...but sadly, they have no depth.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Yes, the Tree is a good place to hide a Redeemer or something inside.
I wonder what would be the secret way of accessing it though...

Also hey, how do you do that brushwork? Notepad? I can't, I need a visual reference. O_o
I've heard you use 2D Brush Editor stuff, but that's simply impossible!
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Gustavo6046 wrote:Yes, the Tree is a good place to hide a Redeemer or something inside.
I wonder what would be the secret way of accessing it though...

Also hey, how do you do that brushwork? Notepad? I need a visual reference. O_o
I've heard you use 2D Brush Editor stuff, but that's simply impossible!
A redeemer might be fun, especially if both players had an equal chance of getting it, and it would just as dangerous for the user on such a small map! perhaps shooting the tree in the eyes could open a door? I considered maybe figuring out some code that would randomly spawn things in front of the tree. Udamage, shieldbelt etc. But this would require me to learn code or do things with triggers that i don't fully understand! and it would allow the player to dominate taking away the simplicity of the fight.

I just built the tree up from a lot of tessellated cubes that I vertex edited, Then turned it into one big brush which leaves all the external surfaces as triangles so I could still edit it if need be. the terrain I did in a similar fashion but with a mix of tesselated cubes and extruded 2d shapes. never tried making a brush in notepad? Is there a tutorial anywhere? Would love to give it a go. :shock: EDIT... just looked into it don't think I will bother! :lol2:
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Eviltom wrote:A redeemer might be fun, especially if both players had an equal chance of getting it
I use DeemerFireworks a lot, a mutator that makes a redeemer pop up in a random spot on any map (always the same spot for a game) that fires multiple multi-colored mortars that each explode with various colors while playing Yankee Doodle Dandy...

It worked out surprisingly well on your map.

More screenshots · viewtopic.php?p=89763#p89763
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

Map looks great!
Would like to add it to 1v1 server.

Although not yet......still waiting on MPUK to fix some things :(