AS-RoadTunnel | Pre-Alpha

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

AS-RoadTunnel | Pre-Alpha

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Road Tunnel of the Descenting Town!

My upcoming Rebirth project...
Looking for modellers to submit any Blender-importable models (so I can convert to brushes)!

By the way, download is here.
Version: Public Pre-Alpha 2

WARNING: In case of annex, don't download it; it's probably an outdated version of the map
Last edited by Gustavo6046 on Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Eviltom
Skilled

Re: AS-RoadTunnel | Pre-Alpha

Post by Eviltom »

Had a quick go but not much to see yet, what's the plan? I presume that hole in the floor will lead somewhere?
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Eviltom wrote:Had a quick go but not much to see yet, what's the plan? I presume that hole in the floor will lead somewhere?
Indeed, that hole leads to the Military Road Tunnels, a place where they could control the city's ruins until they could deface the government to strategically do a coup.

The player's mission in the map would be to destroy the Manipulation Reactors, and transmiting several Secret Coup Plans (SCP007) via a radio transmitter in the tunnel.

What did you think of what's already in? Like, details etc? I'm not a very good detailer. :<
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

The street lights look good. Main road geometry is pretty simple. Instead of straight maybe have to road go around a corner? Also the road needs to be going to/from somewhere. Maybe a blocked tunnel at both ends? The tunnel brush is a bit overcomplicated and your going to have trouble convincing the bots to jump down it! (I know this from experience of assaultlevels with big drops in!) Maybe instead of vertical the tunnel could go down at an angle. Much easier for the bots to navigate. Also maybe add some damage to the road where the tunnel goes down? Like it's cracked or been blown open?
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Eviltom wrote:The street lights look good. Main road geometry is pretty simple. Instead of straight maybe have to road go around a corner? Also the road needs to be going to/from somewhere. Maybe a blocked tunnel at both ends? The tunnel brush is a bit overcomplicated and your going to have trouble convincing the bots to jump down it! (I know this from experience of assaultlevels with big drops in!) Maybe instead of vertical the tunnel could go down at an angle. Much easier for the bots to navigate. Also maybe add some damage to the road where the tunnel goes down? Like it's cracked or been blown open?
Thanks for those suggestions! I have almost finished most of them (except for the tunnel; I have removed it so I can redo it later; and the road corner, which I don't know how I would do with such a damaged BSP from Blender). You'll be able to play this new version in like 5 minutes!

Weapon of Destruction
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Keep the majority of your brushes simple and only use more complicated imported brushes from blender as decorations to avoid bsp problems.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Eviltom wrote:Keep the majority of your brushes simple and only use more complicated imported brushes from blender as decorations to avoid bsp problems.
You are right. But I feel like I never decorate enough, since everyone else decorate as if there were no end. >.<

But, well, I made Public Pre-Alpha 3 available! Click the Dropbox link in the OP (Dropbox auto-updates, which is a feature I like :) )

Weapon of Destruction
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Have you got the mission objectives programmed into the map clearly?

Most AS maps have a screen that tells you step by step what you need to do next.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

EvilGrins wrote:Have you got the mission objectives programmed into the map clearly?

Most AS maps have a screen that tells you step by step what you need to do next.
I haven't even done the second area! :P

Therefore, Pre-Alpha. Same way Epic is doing the new UT. I need suggestions as for the following layout!

Weapon of Destruction