[Help] Error "General Protection Fault" with a map

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Amorce
Novice

[Help] Error "General Protection Fault" with a map

Post by Amorce »

Hello, I am already sorry for my english because I am french and I am new in the site.

So, today I created a map with the Unreal Editor 2.0 and all was fine until I launched the game, testing my map after having placed PathNods and PlayerStart. The game crashed after few seconds and since that moment, I can't open my map anymore and change it ! I have the following error :
General Protection Fault.png
I have already done many tests in game. This error is come just after I place the PlaceNods and the PlayerStarts...
So, I would like to now what can I do to recup my map... I hope it is not dead because I worked on it a long time !

Thank you and have fun ;)
Last edited by Amorce on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: [Help] Error "General Protection Fault" with a map

Post by papercoffee »

Did you rebuild your map after placing the path-nodes?
Amorce
Novice

Post by Amorce »

Yes I did. Anyway, I can't have access to my map : the error message pop and the editor crashes when I want to open it :/
(Maybe I forgot to rebuild it is very possible but I doubt that...)
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

A possibility if all other fails: use UCC.EXE to export your map to a T3D file. Start UnrealEd with an empty map, load all packages the map has (use 3rd party tools like UnrealDeps if you don't remember) and import the T3D file in UnrealEd then. If UnrealEd still crashes, remove suspect parts of T3D file with a normal text editor and repeat importing.

(I've learned that lesson with overwriting project files with broken versions also a long time ago (who remembers WINWORD 2.0? ;) so I usually make a backup copy of existing project files before I start working on it. In fact I've a small batch file that compresses a file and adds a time stamp to the file name. I've integrated that batch call into the Windows Explorers context menu, so that a backup copy needs always 1 click only.)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Amorce
Novice

Post by Amorce »

Thank you for you answer but I just start to build map so I don't understand everything :)
How can I precisely export my map with UCC.EXE to t3d ?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

If you do not mind publishing that broken map, I recommend you do that to see if it can be opened in another environment than yours. The method I described above should be one of the latest solutions because it can be time consuming.
Anyway, the syntax is

Code: Select all

ucc.exe batchexport ..\Maps\MyMap.unr Level t3d  DestinationDirectory
Change MyMap and DestinationDirectory to your needs; UCC.EXE has to be called with UT's system directory as current directory.

See also the wiki for details on BatchExport.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Amorce
Novice

Post by Amorce »

Here the broken map.
Test.unr
The broken map.
(3.26 MiB) Downloaded 89 times
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Did you try changing the 3d viewport to wireframe mode before opening the map?
Amorce
Novice

Post by Amorce »

Higor wrote:Did you try changing the 3d viewport to wireframe mode before opening the map?
Nope, I didn't know it was necessary to do that. (I repeat that I just begin on Mapping)
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Amorce wrote:Here the broken map.
Hmm, I could open it without problems with UnrealEd-2.0. But on try to play I had to kill UT with the task manager... :lol:

I recompiled it and now it is playable, too. (You should remove SkyZoneInfo0: it hangs around in the void. SkyZoneInfo1 is placed correctly.)
Attachments
Test-2016-08-25.zip
(439.8 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

@Amorce - just to note there is a fatal BSP error somewhere ...
Spoiler
Log: MTFemale2Bot1 fell out of the world!
Log: Mac6 fell out of the world!
Log: MMRumiko0 fell out of the world!
Log: Mac31 fell out of the world!
... unhelpfully, I can't remember where it was. The map looks promising though.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

And I have noticed useless PathNodes over Movers. It would be better to check "Lifts" in a default map (CTF-Gauntlet) rather than messing this way... So Map has opened OK for me but I did a rebuild to make sure about some integrity... else your paths seems not really good (that surface...) Shield and JumpBoots are a trappy spot for A.I. making them useless so they need paths outta that spot.
Amorce
Novice

Post by Amorce »

Barbie wrote:
Amorce wrote:Here the broken map.
Hmm, I could open it without problems with UnrealEd-2.0. But on try to play I had to kill UT with the task manager... :lol:

I recompiled it and now it is playable, too. (You should remove SkyZoneInfo0: it hangs around in the void. SkyZoneInfo1 is placed correctly.)
I can't open the file with the Editor, but I can play with UT99, I have this message :
Error 2.png
I am no lucky or I did something wrong ?..
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Does not look like it's any error I've ever seen. Can you open other (stock) maps just fine?
Amorce
Novice

Post by Amorce »

Swanky wrote:Does not look like it's any error I've ever seen. Can you open other (stock) maps just fine?
Yep, only my map is impossible to open with the Editor. The other maps are launched with success.