Billboard Sign

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Billboard Sign

Post by Loose Cannon »

Hello all:

I wanted to create a "billboard" with different still pictures rotating and changing. Is this possible and if so is there a tutorial for "cycling" pictures on a solid surface?

Thanks in advance!

LC
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Billboard Sign

Post by Red_Fist »

Yes there is, forgot what it was called, but I think it needs an animation , numbered sequence, as the textures that cycle through in the order you put them. Maybe look up

Just like the smoke textures, but you would slow down the frame rate for a bill board. So maybe you will have to make the same picture repeated but number them different. So you would have 8 of the same picture.
It will give you better control over the delay if you use more picts. Maybe 4 of the same pics, then 4 of the next, but one pic and a delay might work ok also.

What it is , is you need more than one to control the animation delay, so 4 frames will last longer but you can distribute the time much bette for how long (all 4) it must be shown.. then the next 4.
Binary Space Partitioning
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Loose Cannon wrote:I wanted to create a "billboard" with different still pictures rotating and changing
Changing is easy for max. 10 pics (see Wiki: TriggeredTexture), but what do you mean by "rotating"? Cycling through the pic list or really a rotating pic?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

An example would be on a user map called "artiphycial". If you google the map and see, the mapper has some different textures / signs. I was wondering how he got his "tournament in progress" to flash (It's different than the usual "red" one). And right below that sign there is a billboard that changes. Just wondering how to add this skill to my mapping repertoire.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

From that Wiki link

"Textures List of regular Texture (UT)s that the TriggeredTexture will cycle through when triggered. Initially, the Texture in slot 0 (zero) is displayed; each time you trigger the TriggeredTexture, the display advances to the next slot. The first slot containing None marks the end of the list"

And what I was telling you earlier.
HOWEVER in order to be a changing texture on it's own has to be animated, right ?
So what they don't tell you is make more textures (normally an animation MUST have more than 1 frame, logical), smoke puff type for example.

Take my word for it, all you need to do is make the SAME billboard texture at least 4 min, you will have to name them a certain way, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9.................. or it won't work. (it will flash and look funky) I am telling you this to save you a bunch of trouble on how it looks in-game unless you can make it work with one frame.
I may be full of crap, but was thinking when I did it, thinking that sticks out was NEED MORE THAN ONE FRAME

When the editor asks for a animated texture (I mean properties) you must enter the FIRST named texture of that group, it will cycle through, animated or not., goto your next 4 frames, and so on. \\

IS
WHY

You need more than one frame because the editor properties makes you enter the texture, that is animated.

Now I know you have still pictures but will work perfectly, but it's not that hard to do. Mainly the importing and naming of each texture in mylevel and keeping your numbering right. (not hard at all)

Plus, make your texture shape, pre-hand before importing.
So a billboard texture should be .5 high to 1 wide. (or whatever ratio equals the brush size is), it will look clear-real, in-game. (minimum stretch distortion)
So 128 high 256 wide is 1/.5, it needs 4:3 rez so 192 high, 256 wide, make the brush that size, or any ratio thereof, with your textures. or whatever size you use, but Unreal will only import the factor 8, so the billboard brush size must conform to it,
Binary Space Partitioning
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Loose Cannon wrote:a user map called "artiphycial". If you google the map
Type in "artiphycial" and see... I'd like to help and not wasting time sorting search results. So a link would be nice.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Thanks for the link. There the mapper has used Animated Textures that Red_Fist has already described above.
Attachments
Ambrosiasmall.jpg
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Got it to work! Thanks so much for everyone's input and expertise, especially RedFist and Barbie!! And thank you very much OjitroC for providing the link! Thanks again everyone...much appreciated!!